It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:53 pm

cut front springs 
Post cut front springs
So how about it what will I need to watch out for? I want to drop the front about 2 in. I`m about to rebuild the front end with PST bushings and such.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:08 pm
i'd get some after market springs.. but thats just me.

if you do heres a link to what i did

http://www.maverickman.com/Suspension.html

good luck

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:02 pm
yer im with maverick man, cutting them will make them weaker!!! :D
i would shop around look for a good deal then buy them

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:12 pm
VIP Member

Cutting won't make them weaker, only more stiff. Heating them makes them weaker.
If you have your suspension in good order along with new shocks, chances are the original springs will be closer to the stock ride once cut than they are now after 30 years of travel. I cut mine and am happy with the ride and handling.
You also have to consider what you are doing with the car: race, daily, show, etc. plan accordingly, spend accordingly.

1963 1/2 Falcon 170/C4/8" (alt, a/c, Petronix/42v coil/8mm wires, 16" electric fan, electric fuel pump, Holley 1940, K&N Harley air filter, power dual m/c, 11" disc, 3" drop, Shelby drop, white tuck/roll, Moon steering wheel, '59 Caddy tail lights, fishtail exhaust tip, shaved trim, handles, cowl, fuel, dash, 4" radius trunk/door corners, power windows, 600w iPod system)

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:02 pm
VIP Member

If your springs are in good shape- not leaning one side- a rule of thumb for most applications is-
Cut a 1/2 a coil = one inch drop.
Cut 1 full coil = two inches drop.

Cut coils with a cut-off wheel, not a torch. As springs are cut they become stiffer.

It is best to cut a little and try, then to cut too much and be sorry.

Adios, David

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
yer im with maverick man, cutting them will make them weaker!!! :D
i would shop around look for a good deal then buy them

i never said weaker, but i know what you mean, you know what i mean :wink: the correct term would be you would change your spring rate... hense what people are saying it will get stiffer.

and if you want to look at it as if the spring were to be crushed then yes it would be weaker :wink: :lol: that works for me!

CZLN6 wrote:
Howdy back MR:

If your springs are in good shape- not leaning one side- a rule of thumb for most applications is-
Cut a 1/2 a coil = one inch drop.
Cut 1 full coil = two inches drop.

Cut coils with a cut-off wheel, not a torch. As springs are cut they become stiffer.

It is best to cut a little and try, then to cut too much and be sorry.

Adios, David

a good theory and base line for cutting and maybe falcons however the maverick sits so high stock one inch is hardly anything! this i know from doing this more then 10 times on mavericks. going with the one coil / 1/2 coil theory doesn't really work to well... i'd go with david's second advise about cutting a little bit and seeing what it looks like. its a pain but better safe then sorry.

however i agree 100% with the rest of your advise david :wink:

also i would suggest to cut your spring compressor bolt about a two inches or so. this way it does not interfer with the sping pearch when removing it.

but again personally, i'd buy a aftermarket spring like with a 600lbs spring rate and then cut it, instead of a cutting stock spring... but that just me... what the heck do i know anyways :wink:

Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:11 am
who sells aftermarket springs for this.., say a 2 inch drop

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:02 pm
who sells aftermarket springs for this.., say a 2 inch drop

here try this link http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=17905 the second post has part numbers... but that is only a 1 inch drop... you'll still need to cut them. if your looking for that stance you have to cut the aftermarket ones 1-1/2 coils and roll the fenders if you run anything bigger then a 235 tire

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:20 pm
FSP Moderator

Didn't I see your car in another mag here the other day?
It was either the Mustangs & Fords, Car Craft or Modified Mustangs.
Probably the May issues of all of them. I got them all on the same day! So I don't remember which one!
I guess I'll have to look at that again! But I'm pretty sure they had a pic of your '73 from the rear.

Later,
Will

'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:01 am

careful cutting the springs I cut out 1 full coil on my maverick.andshe sitting very low.I drove to store tried to park and "bam" the front (iguess radiator support) hit the curb.Went over a big speed bump and lost back half of my exhaust.The front of my hood now sits 21" from ground.looks good but i only have about 1/2" shock movement left.so cut little by little check everything each time just to be safe.600# springs are very stiff also.I believe for a 93 mustang gt 480# was the upgrade.oh also my car sits too low to get a jack under it now.I cant even slide my balled up fist under my car.lol :lol:

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:55 am
Profile YIM

or you can buy lowered stang springs the 71-73 are a direct fit
eibach sells 1" drop springs for $60 a pair.

dont think anyone sells 2" drop springs

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:40 pm
Profile WWW