two barrel intake for a 300

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

two barrel intake for a 300

Postby warponyxlt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:49 am

is there an intake that will bolt up a motor craft two barrel carb for a 300 or a dual single setup
warponyxlt

Postby Stealth Bummer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Yes.
(check the FAQ sticky above)
1959 F100, Short-wide box, big back window, IFS, 300/C4 trans (work in progress)
-------------------------------------------------------
There's a fixed amount of intelligence in the world, yet the population continues to expand- START HOARDING!!
Stealth Bummer

Postby mutt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:26 pm

I got a Offy 4 bbl manifold then bolted a parts store 2 to 4 bbl adaptor to it upside down.
That way, if ever loose my mind and decide I need a 4bbl, I already have the manifold....
mutt
VIP Member

adapter plate

Postby knuckles_and_ninetyweight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:43 am

A company called Trans Dapt offers an adapter plate to mount a 2100/2150 2bbl to the stock intake 300 intake (model# 2044). I have purchased one but havent installed it yet. I am using this option to reduce my overall investment in this project while gaining the reliability of these 2bbl's. I suspect the overall performance will be hindered by the inefficiency of the stock single barrel "log" intake. If you do decide to purchase an Offy intake and want to adapt a 2bbl to the 4bbl model intake, do not get the "DP" or dual plain model as it is rigged with separate chambers for the primaries and secondaries. Also you may have to add a light cam to get your 300 to breath it all in.
"Just because something has never been done, is not a good reason not to do it."
--'79 Ford F150 4x4, 300ci-Offy"C"-2100 FoMoCo 2bbl-efi exhaust manifolds, Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch, 7" lift, flipped rear shackles, front limited slip 44 /rear locked 9", on 35's.
knuckles_and_ninetyweight

Re: adapter plate

Postby zacd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:49 am

knuckles_and_ninetyweight wrote:A company called Trans Dapt offers an adapter plate to mount a 2100/2150 2bbl to the stock intake 300 intake (model# 2044). I have purchased one but havent installed it yet. I am using this option to reduce my overall investment in this project while gaining the reliability of these 2bbl's. I suspect the overall performance will be hindered by the inefficiency of the stock single barrel "log" intake. If you do decide to purchase an Offy intake and want to adapt a 2bbl to the 4bbl model intake, do not get the "DP" or dual plain model as it is rigged with separate chambers for the primaries and secondaries. Also you may have to add a light cam to get your 300 to breath it all in.

I think your undertaking will net in disappointment. For its intended purpose, a properly functioning YF 1-barrel is about as reliable and efficient of a carburetor there is. That said, it is definitely not a performance oriented carb nor is the entire stock intake "system" (YF with its corresponding log-style intake manifold). Using the adapter to mount a 2-barrel to the stock intake manifold will net you no real gain...unless your stock YF is in some fashion of disrepair/out of tune and you're more comfortable fooling with a 2100 than a YF.

I have an Offy C (open plenum) intake on my 300 with a 2100 Autolite mounted to it (via previously mentioned 2-barrel to 4-barrel adapter) and it works quite well. 1.14" venturis with 51 jets. Between the carb, intake and header, the truck does not seem to be short on power or relative efficiency.
Zac
zacd

Postby Harte3 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:12 pm

'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.
Harte3
VIP Member

Re: two barrel intake for a 300

Postby knuckles_and_ninetyweight » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:56 pm

UPDATE:
I never used the adapter. I determined the stock intake manifold was too inefficient. I had a head gasket leak as well, so I rebuild the entire top end. Turns out the 300 was bored 30 over. Added a new early '70's head with chebby 250-6 rockers, an Offy C manifold adapted to take a Ford 2bbl, late '80's EFI exhaust maniforlds with 2" pipes out to a (2x2" to 3") Flowmaster collector and 3" exhaust alll the way out through a stock application 3" in/out muffler from a late '90's Tahoe.
Built the whole thing including paint and detail in the bay without pulling the engine. I just added a 130 amp alternator and will have the MSD in tomorrow. Still have to build a new carb for it, this ones cracked and over fueling.

Sometimes half way doesnt work and you just have to drop the other shoe and do things the right way. Took a lot of time, but I'd take this over having a V8 in my truck any day. I figure I'm making more horsepower than a 302, more torque than a 460, and I'm doing it at half the weight. It's the perfect engine for a trail truck. Currently I'm carb'ing it down for milage and efficiency.
Thanks again guys for all your input, Ive learned a lot since this began. :beer:
"Just because something has never been done, is not a good reason not to do it."
--'79 Ford F150 4x4, 300ci-Offy"C"-2100 FoMoCo 2bbl-efi exhaust manifolds, Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch, 7" lift, flipped rear shackles, front limited slip 44 /rear locked 9", on 35's.
knuckles_and_ninetyweight

Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance