It is currently Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:44 am

BIG SIX BUILD-UP ARTICLE BY FTF 
VIP Member

Post BIG SIX BUILD-UP ARTICLE BY FTF
This article was published in SuperFord Magazine in 1985. Most of what I wrote still holds true today. Enjoy.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Post Re: BIG SIX BUILD-UP ARTICLE BY FTF
too small to read but nice...

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:53 pm

I'd like to be able to read it full size, can you change the format for us. I noticed you hanging out on Inliners earlier. It seems that our dyno project over there has generated a lot of interest on other forums for inline magazine articles. Our's too will be in an upcoming article. We need more articles on inlines, maybe this we keep the editors interested and continue.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
VIP Member

cant read it.....maybe you moonlight as an insurance policy writer??

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

This should help. Click on thumbnail, then click image for a full size pic.
Remember to use your browser's back button to continue.

Click here for larger image & info

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
FSP Moderator

Thanks-------

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:56 am
FSP Moderator

Looks like a STICKY to me!

Will

'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:17 am

:beer: Awesome article!!

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Wow, thanks FTF, I told you you should write a book. Just think how much more you've learned in the almost a quarter of a centry since!

I am particularily interested in the in-head studs to support the combustion chamber. I've never seen or heard of anything like that. Very interesting. I assume you preload those to some amount? Is this still a recomended modification?

Also of interest is the cam specs. I realize that these are for drag only motors, but they are so far from what most people are using on street vehicles, that I really think a strong street/strip motor could use alot more than the typical.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:24 pm

'Flyer:

I have a considerable interest in all inline engines but particularly the 240/300 Ford six. I got hooked on it back in 1967 after reading an article on Ak Miller's side draft weber carb'd 300 ci (stroked 240) build up in the "Complete Book of Engines" published by Petersen in that year.

I just completed reading your great article (for the 3rd time just to be sure all the details registered) and it just reinforced why I think this engine is such an elegant design and has so much potential.

Thanks for the great read and keep up you forum posts as they are extremely important to my ongoing education.

Russ

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:03 pm

'Flyer:

PS: Real men drive altereds. Real crazy men drive FUEL altereds!

I know. I watched Willie and Sush (and many others) race many times at Lions and OCIR back in the day. The question was never who would win. The real question was which lane they'd be in going through the lights . . .

Russ

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:11 pm
VIP Member

It takes a special type of person to climb into a car with a power-to-weight ratio of 2hp/lb.

Even my puny six gets me from 0-to-60 in 2.9 seconds and 0-to-117 in 5.7 seconds - if it goes straight. What a rush for a speed junkie like me.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:25 pm

'Flyer:

At least you have some wheelbase to help keep you going (relatively) straight. As you obviously know, back in the day, the AA/FA's typically had something like 100" - some even less - with an insanely high center of gravity. But then again, I guess the wheelbase is sort of meaningless when you're carrying the front wheels like the Winged Express would often do at various points going down track. Those were certainly the days . . .

Russ

PS: Just to prove you can always learn something new; I've never heard of (much less seen) positioning bolts down through the head to support the combustion chamber below until reading your article. Sounds like something the likes of Ak Miller or Smokey Yunick would come up with. Are you still doing that with your current engines or is that not an issue with your (rare as hens teeth) current cross-flow head?

By the way, is there any chance that you may get one of CI's early prototype 240/300 aluminum heads to do some "field testing"? Just curious . . .

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:37 am

russk wrote:
'Flyer:

PS: Real men drive altereds. Real crazy men drive FUEL altereds!

I know. I watched Willie and Sush (and many others) race many times at Lions and OCIR back in the day. The question was never who would win. The real question was which lane they'd be in going through the lights . . .

:lol:

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:30 am
VIP Member

Bruce Sizemore clued me in to the head posting technique when we both worked at Ford / Dearborn.

I do not use it for my crossflow head but I think it is still a valid option if you run CRs in excess of 12:1, or boost.

I would try an aluminum u-flow head on my truck. But on the altered - well, "how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree."

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:46 pm

'Flyer:

So the "head posting" technique came from Bruce Sizemore. Why am I not very surprised!

I hope you get a chance to test the CI head when it becomes available. While I understand that a U-head design will never (?) perform to the level of your cross-flow head, it would still be interesting to have someone with your big Ford racing experience see just how far the CI U-head can be taken. Given how rare your X-flow head is, and how technically challenging a "composite" head (like Sizemore's) would be, and how REALLY expensive the AJ/SVO billet race head is, the CI head is likely to be the only cost effective solution for most of us mortals.

By the way, have you broken into the 8s yet? Hadn't heard.

Russ

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 pm
VIP Member

Well, to be honest, I don't see much of a future for any aftermarket 300 head in view of the fact that I just auctioned off an Aussie aluminum crossflow canted-valve head complete with injection, cast valve cover, etc for $399. That really opened my eyes to how limited the market is.

I detuned my race day combination in an effort to contain my head gasket failure issues, which I did, but as a result the car is still running 9.0s. I had intended to take the car out this fall after the points season was done with the motor set back on "kill" when the weather conditions were favorable for running 8s but other pressing projects prevented me from doing that. I also discovered some other tricks I intend to perform on the carbs over the winter which will also help e.t.s.

Sure I could strip off some 200 lbs of non-essential hardware like cooling system, parachute, trans cooler, big battery, etc. and theoretically pick up about four tenths and convert to alcohol for another couple of tenths but I'm a bracket racer - I bracket race, and as such I want to drive the car as it will be for racing conditions.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:05 pm

'Flyer:

I'm assuming the cross-flow head you sold was for the "small" Ford six? I agree that $399 for the head, injectors, and such seems way below a fair market price. But as you say, maybe the market just isn't there. I really hope you're wrong about the potential demand in the 240/300 head but I fear you could be right. If the economy gets better (not really expecting any real improvements any time soon) and CI does deliver a production head, it will be interesting to see if it actually sells well enough to have made the effort worthwhile and profitable. I sure hope so.

Running 9-ohs on a "dialed back" motor is still pretty stout and I understand that, as a bracket racer, your need to be consistant and predictable is far more important than to squeeze out the last bit of ET. With our inlines (whether Ford, Chevy, Mopar, GMC, or ???) it's very difficult (and way too expensive) for most of us to compete in "class" racing so bracket racing is the logical place to be.

So if I were to field a car at this point, I think I'd be looking at a nostalgia FED or altered running a 240+ Ford. The Inliners D/D[ragster] late stock head and maximum 260ci class on gasoline or alky might be interesting. Of course, bracket racing would be the primary mode of competition as a simple practical matter.

I've always been an altered roadster fan (as I'm sure you've guessed) and if I went that route, I'd really like to aim toward a more vintage, old school look: shorter wheelbase (around 95-105") and the vintage '23T body with a wider rear track where the wheel wells don't extend into the turtle deck - something you might have found in the late '60s or early '70s. Probably would have to fabricate one since I doubt anybody is still making the old school body these days. I understand that an old school car would limit potential performance but at this point in life, it's not so much about going really quick and fast as it is about having (affordable) fun and enjoying the company of other racers at the track.

Russ

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Russ,

In speaking to Gary Isbell recently about his H/MP Maverick, he was able to reach pretty deep into the 11sec. 1/4 mile times with his production headed 300 eqiupted car at 10 lbs/ci , and feels sure that with the advances that have been made in the technology of tires and camshafts and head porting, this would be a 10 sec. car today. I just cant understand why more Ford inline racers don't use these engines....

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
VIP Member

russk wrote:
'Flyer:

So if I were to field a car at this point, I think I'd be looking at a nostalgia FED or altered running a 240+ Ford. The Inliners D/D[ragster] late stock head and maximum 260ci class on gasoline or alky might be interesting. Of course, bracket racing would be the primary mode of competition as a simple practical matter.

... I understand that an old school car would limit potential performance but at this point in life, it's not so much about going really quick and fast as it is about having (affordable) fun and enjoying the company of other racers at the track.

Russ

Its funny you should mention that Russ as one of my "pressing projects" is getting all the pieces together to restore my old (1978) Logghe Stamping car, as pictured in the article above. It needs front-halving after an intimate encounter with a concrete guardrail in 2000. I plan to set it up for Nostalgia racing and make it run 10.0hs. That is as fast as is allowed and not have to get the chassis re-certified every couple of years - a hassle I don't need.

I hope you get a chance to do a 240 FED or altered old school sometime and feel free to bounce ideas off me if you like. A 240 is practically indestructable and reliable as an anvil.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:49 pm

CNC-Dude and FTF:

I just wrote a (too) long post regarding the 240 vs 300 inch question and it apparently got lost in the "ether", maybe running into the 'Flyer's most recent post.

In any event, I have been under the perhaps mistaken impression that the 240/300 Ford OEM head would not achieve the necessary flow to support a 300+ ci race motor spinning at (say) 7500 RPM. From what the "calculators" say, the head would need to have an intake flow of just over 302 cfm. I didn't think you could get there but given CNC-Dudes recent post and the 'Flyer's great article, maybe (in the right hands) such flow is achievable.

But my interest specifically in the 240 version of the big Ford was primarily based on the Inliner's D/D[ragster} class rules that limits the displacement to a maximum of 260 ci. There are a number of engines that would be good candidates including the 250 Chevy, the 225 Mopar slant six, the 242/258 AMC/Jeep, and the 240 big Ford. There may be others but they don't come to mind . . .

'Flyer, if I get off dead center on this project, I'm sure I'll have (too) many questions to ask and I appreciate your willingness (as well as others on the inline six forums) to share your experience and expertise.

Russ

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:13 pm

Really enjoyed your article on 240/300 buildup. I am gratified to see that someone of your level of expertise appreciates the 240. With the former AMC 4.0 showing what four litres can do,a Ford 240 can at least match their performance. BTW the combustion chamber roof support was said to date back to the Lincoln Y blocks used in the Pan-American races in Mexico in the 1950's,can neither confirm/deny truth of this "engineering legend" but have seen period photos of these heads w/ support studs in area that eppear to be over c/c roof? As an aside six cylinders of anymake but GM are considered a joke @ most NHRA strips,seem to be more tolerated than appreciated;until they kick-a... on the GM's,then its tear downe time,"ya hadda been cheating"etc,etc.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:25 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:
This article was published in SuperFord Magazine in 1985. Most of what I wrote still holds true today. Enjoy.

FTF, is there anything in particular about the 240/300 engines that stick out as not holding true anymore? I'm curious. :P

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 am

Hello, Greg--

Thanks for taking your time to call me for the article. I wanted to let you know what was happening. The editor went with a humorous piece involving my 300, but now wants a 'how-to' article on the 300. I still have the notes from our talk, so you will figure prominately in the article.

I was wondering if you have any photos of a build in process, showing pistons of a 390, or any other type engine. I will, of course credit you with the photos. A PHOTO OF A CROSS FLOW HEAD WOULD BE THE CROWN AND GLORY OF THE ARTICLE.

Kevin Hill

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 am
VIP Member

Hi again. I think the 352 piston is a better choice for the 300. The 390 has a stock bore of 4.050". The 352 has the same 4.000" bore as the 300. If the stock 390 pistons are used then there will be little room to rebore at a later date if cylinder wall damage occurrs. I have a 352 piston we used in the Pinto that my partner cut down using a CNC program that left a dome above the combustion chamber, thereby increasing the compression on this race only engine. For street use just turn .050" off the top of the piston to create a flat top. I think we paid $6 a piece for the cast 352 pistons.

I don't have a photo. I will dig the piston out, photograph it and post it.

Here is the crossflow head:

4/17/10 update:
Here is the piston we used

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 am
VIP Member

A couple of people have asked me about the cylinder head fixture. I think there are several good reasons to building one for yourself:
1) piston-to valve clearance may be accurately and visually checked
2) pushrod length with aftermarket rocker arms may be accurately established
3) port wall thickness is evident and porting procedures can be planned
4) rocker arm-to-valve retainer clearance can be checked through the lift curve

Here's how to do it. Cut out a head chamber. Leave enough stock to save the head bolt bosses. Install the valves you are using. Install the rocker studs you are using. In this case it was a 240 head with 1.94 and 1.60 Chevy valves and screw-in Moroso studs. Install light checking springs. Then using a band saw or Sawzall make cuts through the ports while saving the mounting bolt locations. It may be necessary to chip away the port with a hammer and chizzle.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm

that looks really cool...I like that idea

Wed May 05, 2010 6:04 pm
in a previous thread you mentioned for porting advice ..do not remove the step/ledge around the exhaust stem of the exhaust port but you were not giving any reason as to why ? thanks

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:09 pm
VIP Member

sam2007 wrote:
in a previous thread you mentioned for porting advice ..do not remove the step/ledge around the exhaust stem of the exhaust port but you were not giving any reason as to why ? thanks

It hurts hi-lift flow numbers.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 am

I just want to say I love this website lol my dad bought me that same magazine off eBay a while back when I started building my 300 for my 62 f100. Does anyone know what the biggest cam you can put in while using the Chevy 1.7 rockers without having to machine the head too much? My machinist is supposed to be ordering my cam for me but I haven't told him about the rocker arms yet. He can machine down the spring perch for taller springs and put in new rocker studs if he needs to. I just kind of wanted to look like I know what I'm talking about when go to ask him about it. Any advice or know how would be very appreciated :wow:

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 pm
VIP Member

Chev rockers are for use with a stock cam. If you are going to use a different cam that will take the place of using the chev rockers. I would not use both. It is an either/or situation. The rockers are a budget solution for those with a compatible rocker arm & pedestal setup running a stock or equivalent cam.

1 "73-79" F150 RC/SS/SB/4WD, "84"-300, T18, NP205, 9" open 3.50, Dana 44 3.50 open, Offy DP, Holley 470, EFI + single 2.5" exhaust. Gathered from 15+ donor/parts trucks. "Fubar". Runs good, safe, still needs details/project continues.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:07 pm
VIP Member

With higher lifts the first limiting factor will probably be valve guide-to-retainer clearance. That assumes you have springs that wont coil bind. Lifts in excess of .600" are possible. On one car with a cam with .6-something lift I am using the 1.75 rockers that puts me over .700" lift.

Be sure to check out the FAQ addressing all the clearances you need to address for mods like this. Good luck.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info, Ill talk to my machinist about it as well cuz I dont think he's ordered a cam yet and I was wanting soumwhere close to .600 lift. maybe a little less and I gotta get new pushrods anyways so I'll just get them 3/8 pushrods if the Chevy rocker arms will work with them.. How much power could I expect naturally aspirated with .600 lift, bored .040 over, 2.02 intake 1.85 exhaust (or soumwhere around there), a 3 angle job, gasket matched runners, and 8.8 cr? I know that's a lot to account for but you used to race these bad boys right? :beer:

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:25 pm
VIP Member

62RatRod wrote:
...you used to race these bad boys right? :beer:

...still racin' - every summer.

Depending on the rest of the build 250 - 350 HP is quite attainable with a .600 lift cam and big valves.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Awesome :thumbup: I'm thinking about building my truck for LSR.. There's a guy on another forum that has a bada$$ long bed uni like mine. He ran like 130 at bonneville with a 301ci y block ford. To compete in the class I'd b in if I lift it naturally aspirated I'd have to do soumwhere n the 160s : :hmmm:... Another quick question, may sound dumb, but it was brought up on another forum I'm on. Is there such thing as a commercial block that has more bore spacing? A guy said he had his 300 bored to into the water jackets then sleeved an re bored to like 4.5 in.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Said he was able to do it because of the added bore spacing in the commercial block

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 pm
VIP Member

To my (somewhat extensive) knowledge there is no such thing as a commercial block with larger bore spacing. The standard bore spacing on all 300 blocks os 4.480 inches, .100" wider than small block Ford V8s.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 am

I wouldn't recommend putting 6 sleeves in a block unless you go to the extreme Bob Glidden did with his Cleveland blocks back in the 70's and furnace brazed the tops and bottoms of the sleeves to the blocks. But then you have to remachine all the machined surfaces to get them back square. Just putting sleeves in 2 adjoining cylinders places tremendous stress on the deck, especially with these thinly cast blocks, much less all 6 cylinders.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:41 am
Profile WWW

Yea I figured it was too good to be true.. I didn't even wanna bore mine but .020 over cuz of how thin the walls looked but 2 of the cylinders were pitted with rust so he did .040. I wish his daughters still worked there cuz they used to port n polish and I know I don't have the hand eye coordination to do much.. How far down the runners should I go when I try to gasket match them? I have a spare head I can practice on that's from the same year model, I think they're '87 castings..

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:06 am
VIP Member

I wouldn't bother to port match - it is largely a waste of your time. Just be sure there isnt any place the head intake port opening overlaps into the intake manifold runner and the exhaust manifold runner does not overlap into the exhaust port.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Ok, thanks for all the advice! My machine shop will be opening back up tomorrow, so I will be contacting them about the lift/rocker arm issue then.. Maybe ill be getting it back soon since they were supposed to have it done before new years. Then I can post all my comments about why I can't get it to run

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:49 pm

So I finally got all my parts in for the motor.. got the crank, pistons, and cam in but I broke my old cam retaining plate I was wondering if you might know where to get a new one?? Also was wondering if i should check my piston to valve clearance with stock length push rods, .456 lift cam and 1.7 ratio rocker arms

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 am
VIP Member

Retainer plate here
http://headbolts.com/ford-240-300-inlin ... bolts.html

2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 am

Sweet :lol: my machinist couldnt even tell me where I might find all that and it looks like they have everything I need there. THANKS!!!

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Mr. "French" or "FTF"

I love to drive well built engines (while it is bolted into a vehicle of course), but have 0 experience building an engine. IMHO most of what you all talk about escapes me. I am salivating for one of these 300ci to power my 69 Bronco 4x4 for the next 40 years or so. Can you build one complete or recommend someone who can? Currently I am in Afghanistan with the Marines, but from Georgia when I get back onto to U.S. soil.

I would love to have an engine with 500+/- torque and whatever hp that comes out to be. I am running the factory 3 speed trans and transfer case, matched .350 front and back in the pumpkins. I am using 33" tires. I am pulling around some extra weight with full roll cage, brush bumpers, tire and fuel carriers, etc. I may change over to a NV3550 or 4500 to get some more favorable gear ratios for low end and highway cruising.

I have looked thru the Bronco area for the forums but can't find much as far as reputable crated engine I can have installed. I have seen your name come up across the internet when I search for well built 300's. I would consider it an honor and keepsake engine if I could get one you built for my specs.

Would love to have a throttle body injection with a low psi turbo, skipping any ECU or whatever, just good old distributor with throttle body.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 pm
VIP Member

Hello. Thank you for the kind words. Thanks for serving our country. I do not build any engines as my own projects keep me pretty busy. But two sources I would trust are Performance Machining in Ottawa Lake, Michigan or Muscle Machine in Sorrento Florida.

Good luck.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:01 pm

French,

Thanks for the recommendation. Kind words given where credit is due.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 pm

FTF,

I cannot seem to locate contact info for either of your top picks. Do you have phone or email for them? thanks

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Iwas able to download your article, and will commit it to memory as I continue my adventures w/ my 1984 f150 4x4. Thank you for sharing.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 am