300+ hp 300 builds.

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:14 pm

As most of you nkow by now i plan to build up a 300 for a project car, if all goes as planned it will be a 67 stang i intend to get to the house this weekend. I was just curious how many people around here have an engine putting out at least 300 horses. I have read through a couple of builds with this output. I decided to build the engine as radical as i can and it still be reliable. I plan to have heat, air, and power steering. I had originally thought 300 horses but now im curious how much I can squeeze out of it. Also I have been entertaining the idea of NOS, but at this point its a thought. Not sure how well it will work with a 2 carb setup.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby CNC-Dude » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Probably would be safer for the engine to use a direct port fogger style nozzle for each intake port. Getting even fuel and nitrous distribution thru a plate style system on the 2 bbl. intake might not be easy to do.
Image
CNC-Dude
Registered User
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: N. Ga.

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby ClayPigeonKiller » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:10 pm

FordMan1988,

We have at least one, if not a couple 300 horse 300s. I think one horsepower per cubic inch is VERY realistic for this motor without any blowers or Nitrous. To make that kind of power I would:
-Bore .050, flat top 360/390 pistons (stock bore 390s are rare... pistons can be found very inexpensively)
-Zero deck the block
-Nice cam I want to say 290 degree duration .513 lift not 100% sure, its an old MOON cam
-port head, bigger valves 1.92 intake, 1.6 exhaust
-free-flowing exhaust
-good (read non stock) intake, the motor i'm profiling has 2 holly 4412 500cfm 2 barrels on a clifford (i think) intake
-if you want to spin it hard you will have to address the valve springs
-also use ARP bolts and a Felpro head gasket

Unless I have forgotten something this should be all it takes to get 300-325 horsepower. Hopefully some of the knowledgeable people here will chime in and give you a hand.


Adam
"a man who says what he thinks is called a bachelor" Red Green

1964 Ford Galaxe- 435, 4 speed
1988 F-150 2wd 300 six, M50D 3.08
1999 sportster 883
1929 Chevy Sedan Circle Tracker - hopped up 300
User avatar
ClayPigeonKiller
Registered User
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: South DUH-kota

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

ClayPigeonKiller wrote:FordMan1988,

We have at least one, if not a couple 300 horse 300s. I think one horsepower per cubic inch is VERY realistic for this motor without any blowers or Nitrous. To make that kind of power I would:
-Bore .050, flat top 360/390 pistons (stock bore 390s are rare... pistons can be found very inexpensively)
-Zero deck the block
-Nice cam I want to say 290 degree duration .513 lift not 100% sure, its an old MOON cam
-port head, bigger valves 1.92 intake, 1.6 exhaust
-free-flowing exhaust
-good (read non stock) intake, the motor i'm profiling has 2 holly 4412 500cfm 2 barrels on a clifford (i think) intake
-if you want to spin it hard you will have to address the valve springs
-also use ARP bolts and a Felpro head gasket

Unless I have forgotten something this should be all it takes to get 300-325 horsepower. Hopefully some of the knowledgeable people here will chime in and give you a hand.


Adam


Is it possible to get over 325 hp maybe 350? Whats the limits? Todays new cars are fast. the 2011 Mustang GT has 400hp and 400 ft lb of torque. They are mean. V8 cameros run the quarter in 13 sec. its a tough world. I have been mocked for putting a 6 in my project, its a joke where I work. (kinda hard for people not to know, i bought the car from a co-worker) I intened to show what the 6 can do Spare nothing. In two years I pay off my house, this makes my pockets a little deeper at that time. As stated im entertaining the idea of nitrous. My goal is at least 12s. I want no one to be able to laugh at what roars out of my garage in a few short years. I'd dearly love to embarras V8s with my six.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby russk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Fordman1988:

Just looked back at an article in the 1967 "Complete Book of Engines" publication written by John Christy about a stroker 240 six (to 300") that the late Ak Miller built and put in a 65/66 Mustang. The "big block" Ford six was relatively new back at that time and Ak used the 300" (forged) truck crank in the 240" block to get the finished engine to just at (or a bit over) 300 cubic inches. In those days, there were absolutely NO aftermarket parts available for the big Ford inline so Ak reworked stock parts, did his own porting and polishing work, added bigger (Corvette as I recall) valves, and fabricated his own side draft weber intake and tri-y exhaust headers. According to the article, without a lot of the technology we could bring to bear today, he was able to get 225hp to the rear wheels and the Mustang ran high 13s at 102 mph without any special tunning or chassis work. So I would think a '67 Mustang with a well built naturally aspirated 300+ inch big six should be able to reach the low 13s or even high 12s in the right hands, given today's technology and available aftermarket components. From all that I've learned from the guys on this forum that really know their stuff, the big issue is getting the head to flow.

Russ
russk
Registered User
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:23 pm

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Emerald 74 4X4 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I originally sized my turbo motor to do a maximum of 350 HP. I am not sure exactly what i'll get and i'm still in the process of getting it ready to tune but heres what I did:

- 0.30 overbore
- 7.2:1 heavy truck hypereutectic pistons
- T04b garrett turbo, .60 A/R compressor housing, .82 A/R turbine housing, V trim compressor wheel, P trim turbine wheel off EFI manifolds (until the stainless header is done)
- 3.5" exhaust out the back to something that includes a muffler of some sort
- Intercooler (10" H x 3.5" D x 28" L)
- Crane 284/272 duration cam with .515 max valve lift
- Crower double valve springs (i don't remember the specs off hand)
- Harland Sharp roller rockers
- mild ported carb head (1974) with 3/8 rocker studs and 1.92/1.6 valves
- ARP head studs
- ARP rod bolts
- Fel-Pro high performance head gasket
- Cloyes steel timing gear set
- Megasquirt II EFI using stock EFI intake manifolds and throttle body
- EDIS ignition system

Realistically I think I will not get what I sized the turbo to be. I think with the stainless header and maybe an intake upgrade of some sort, ill be able to do better. We will have to see what happens though.
1974 Ford F-250, Turbocharged and Intercooled 300, Megasquirt Fuel Injection and Ignition control, EDIS, 7.8:1 compression, Harland Sharp roller rockers, Crane 284/272 cam, mild port/polish carb head - 194/1.60 valves, EFI manifolds into turbo - 3.5 inch to muffler - dual 3 inch out the back.
User avatar
Emerald 74 4X4
Registered User
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:39 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby StrangeRanger » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:15 pm

You may want to re-think that cam for a turbo.
With high overlap, you waste a lot of boost
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)
User avatar
StrangeRanger
VIP Member
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Location: Copley, OH

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Emerald 74 4X4 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Yeah, I have rethought it. At the time I wasn't as learned on the cam stuff. That was 4 plus years ago. I think I am going to experience a problem with charge air dilution and ill either have to live with it or change it to something more properly selected. I'm curious to see how it performs none the less.
1974 Ford F-250, Turbocharged and Intercooled 300, Megasquirt Fuel Injection and Ignition control, EDIS, 7.8:1 compression, Harland Sharp roller rockers, Crane 284/272 cam, mild port/polish carb head - 194/1.60 valves, EFI manifolds into turbo - 3.5 inch to muffler - dual 3 inch out the back.
User avatar
Emerald 74 4X4
Registered User
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:39 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Emerald 74 4X4 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 pm

I knew you would chime in on that the second you found out StrangeRanger!
1974 Ford F-250, Turbocharged and Intercooled 300, Megasquirt Fuel Injection and Ignition control, EDIS, 7.8:1 compression, Harland Sharp roller rockers, Crane 284/272 cam, mild port/polish carb head - 194/1.60 valves, EFI manifolds into turbo - 3.5 inch to muffler - dual 3 inch out the back.
User avatar
Emerald 74 4X4
Registered User
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:39 am
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Bayrunner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:39 pm

FordMan1988 wrote:As most of you nkow by now i plan to build up a 300 for a project car, if all goes as planned it will be a 67 stang i intend to get to the house this weekend. I was just curious how many people around here have an engine putting out at least 300 horses. I have read through a couple of builds with this output. I decided to build the engine as radical as i can and it still be reliable. I plan to have heat, air, and power steering. I had originally thought 300 horses but now im curious how much I can squeeze out of it. Also I have been entertaining the idea of NOS, but at this point its a thought. Not sure how well it will work with a 2 carb setup.



a Ford 250 has 4.1 Litters.

Now! Naturally Aspired Engines of Performance: a Ferrari 3.6L puts out 410HP to the wheels. a Maserati 4.2L puts out 430HP. a previous Maserati 2.8L inline six places 345HP to the tires all day long. What are the Italians doing right?
CALIBRATED COMBINATIONS!

Providing all thiongs being equal, that despite your displacement size, the HP gains come from the head and valve train. If you can get your head to flow, quench, make enough compression without knock, YOU can achieve your goal....easily.

The problem is, not many people have done enough research and development here in the states for Six cylinders due to the fact that fuel was/is relatavely inexpensive compared to the rest of the globe. The serious racers who have gained HP from their Sixes, do not always share their combos. I cannot blame them, they have spent alot of time/money getting there. Mike at CI has done an excellent job promoting our hoby. He has allowed for tremendous gains. This is a good base to start from. Guys here in the states get excited by getting 200 HP. In my humble opinion, look at foreign techniques to get you there.
Former Cars
69 Mustang Mach 1. Yellow
04 Mustang Mach 1. Screaming Yellow
Current Cars
66 Mustang Coupe. 200 I6
03 Maserati Spyder Grand Sport F1
Yet Another Horse......04 Modena F1......Blazin Yellow
User avatar
Bayrunner
Registered User
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Richmond & Va Beach...Virginia

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby StrangeRanger » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Those engines all have multi-valve heads and overhead cams. with 2 valves and pushrods, you're more than a skosh limited
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)
User avatar
StrangeRanger
VIP Member
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Location: Copley, OH

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Bayrunner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:12 pm

StrangeRanger wrote:Those engines all have multi-valve heads and overhead cams. with 2 valves and pushrods, you're more than a skosh limited



Yes, corrrect. But, we are only talking about making 300HP and not 400. The Ausie guys are hitting over 325 on their 2 valve, push rod 250ci! They do have better breathing. Mike's head flows the numbers easily! Camshaft choices.choises. choises! Hense, this is why I stated look elsewwhere around the globe for combinations.

Just my humble opinion. I have yet alot, I mean alot to learn myself.
Former Cars
69 Mustang Mach 1. Yellow
04 Mustang Mach 1. Screaming Yellow
Current Cars
66 Mustang Coupe. 200 I6
03 Maserati Spyder Grand Sport F1
Yet Another Horse......04 Modena F1......Blazin Yellow
User avatar
Bayrunner
Registered User
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Richmond & Va Beach...Virginia

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 am

russk wrote:Fordman1988:

Just looked back at an article in the 1967 "Complete Book of Engines" publication written by John Christy about a stroker 240 six (to 300") that the late Ak Miller built and put in a 65/66 Mustang. The "big block" Ford six was relatively new back at that time and Ak used the 300" (forged) truck crank in the 240" block to get the finished engine to just at (or a bit over) 300 cubic inches. In those days, there were absolutely NO aftermarket parts available for the big Ford inline so Ak reworked stock parts, did his own porting and polishing work, added bigger (Corvette as I recall) valves, and fabricated his own side draft weber intake and tri-y exhaust headers. According to the article, without a lot of the technology we could bring to bear today, he was able to get 225hp to the rear wheels and the Mustang ran high 13s at 102 mph without any special tunning or chassis work. So I would think a '67 Mustang with a well built naturally aspirated 300+ inch big six should be able to reach the low 13s or even high 12s in the right hands, given today's technology and available aftermarket components. From all that I've learned from the guys on this forum that really know their stuff, the big issue is getting the head to flow.

Russ


Well im not very expirienced with these things, so Im learning very much from these guys. Im building the car from the ground up, so the chassis will have new equipment on which to get the power to the ground. I Need at least 280 hp to the rear wheels to get my 12s. My begget problem so far is figuring out the size velves that I need. I am currently digging through number to try to find out. I found a company that builds drag heads for the 300, they can build a street head for it, at a costs of $3,000. I suppose tahts the price to pay for top performance.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Lazy JW » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:47 am

FordMan1988 wrote:.... My begget problem so far is figuring out the size velves that I need.....

That's not difficult to decide: you need the biggest valves you can stuff in there, 1.94 intakes and 1.60 exhaust is the largest I have heard about in a 300 head. An aftermarket head "may" give more room, but the rule is still the same for your stated purpose of making maximum power.
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Image
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Careywood, Idaho

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby ClayPigeonKiller » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

FordMan1988,

Possibilites are endless, 350hp or better can certaily be done, as with any motor power is made with higher compression and more fuel/air
Also, what is this "drag Head." If its an aluminum crossflow its probably worth 3k, but if it is just a stock 300 head that has some serious porting and big valves with roller rockers that is VERY expensive and i would find a more realistic shop.

That's not difficult to decide: you need the biggest valves you can stuff in there, 1.94 intakes and 1.60 exhaust is the largest I have heard about in a 300 head. An aftermarket head "may" give more room, but the rule is still the same for your stated purpose of making maximum power.
Joe

You can fit 2.02 with 1.6 valves in the head, but i doubt much more would fit.

Time for shop class,
Adam
"a man who says what he thinks is called a bachelor" Red Green

1964 Ford Galaxe- 435, 4 speed
1988 F-150 2wd 300 six, M50D 3.08
1999 sportster 883
1929 Chevy Sedan Circle Tracker - hopped up 300
User avatar
ClayPigeonKiller
Registered User
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: South DUH-kota

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:12 pm

FordMan1988 wrote:
russk wrote: My begget problem so far is figuring out the size velves that I need.
You need 1.90 intakes and 1.60 exhausts

I am currently digging through number to try to find out. I found a company that builds drag heads for the 300, they can build a street head for it, at a costs of $3,000. I suppose tahts the price to pay for top performance.
That's insane. You should get it for a third of that
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING
User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
 
Posts: 4547
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:21 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:
FordMan1988 wrote:
russk wrote: My begget problem so far is figuring out the size velves that I need.
You need 1.90 intakes and 1.60 exhausts

I am currently digging through number to try to find out. I found a company that builds drag heads for the 300, they can build a street head for it, at a costs of $3,000. I suppose tahts the price to pay for top performance.
That's insane. You should get it for a third of that


Thats the price I was given. For a head builder whose name I got from here. I still have the e-mail.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby StrangeRanger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 pm

So find another shop. Sissell's web site is gone, so I assume they're closed down due to the economy but IIRC their price for a street head was in the $1300-$1400 range. There was a 6 cyl specialist shop in Maine whose name I forget but they were in the same price range.
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)
User avatar
StrangeRanger
VIP Member
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Location: Copley, OH

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Lazy JW » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Is this a stock casting that has been re-worked, or is this a custom, billet head?
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Image
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Careywood, Idaho

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Lazy JW wrote:Is this a stock casting that has been re-worked, or is this a custom, billet head?


I didnt get a lot of details, but as I understand its a custon head. The company builds drag-only heads. Shoudl be all new.

So find another shop. Sissell's web site is gone, so I assume they're closed down due to the economy but IIRC their price for a street head was in the $1300-$1400 range. There was a 6 cyl specialist shop in Maine whose name I forget but they were in the same price range.


Do you know what the shops name was?
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Lazy JW » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm

FordMan1988 wrote:.... as I understand its a custon head. The company builds drag-only heads. Shoudl be all new.....


The drag-only head has no water jackets, not too practical for the street. Were I in the business I probably would want $3K to build a custom billet head one at a time. A well prepped stock head should be WAY less than that (plus you could actually drive it on the street).
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Image
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Careywood, Idaho

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Lazy JW wrote:
FordMan1988 wrote:.... as I understand its a custon head. The company builds drag-only heads. Shoudl be all new.....


The drag-only head has no water jackets, not too practical for the street. Were I in the business I probably would want $3K to build a custom billet head one at a time. A well prepped stock head should be WAY less than that (plus you could actually drive it on the street).
Joe


Actually the heads with no water jackets were cheaper. This would be a specialty head built with jackets for street use.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby StrangeRanger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:44 pm

What shop were you talking to?
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)
User avatar
StrangeRanger
VIP Member
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Location: Copley, OH

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:54 pm

StrangeRanger wrote:What shop were you talking to?


1) With a stock head, a die grinder and a flow bench

2) By spending an arm, a leg and your first-born male offspring to buy an aluminum crossflow head from Alan Johnson http://www.alanjohnsonperformance.com/0 ... ml#49liter Unfortunately, it's a dragstrip-only part with no water passages. It also requires a custom ground camshaft, manifolds etc. because it changes the order of the ports

3) Cut up two 351 Cleveland heads and furnace braze the chunks together to make a high flow crossflow 300 head.

4) Find one of the two or three extant experimental crossflow Ford factory heads. FTF has one on his altered; he's not selling.

5) Wait for Classic Inlines' Aluminum U-flow head to go on the market.


This one :lol: you posted it in my other thread. And in addition to you first born they want child support too.

I found out they can and will make a street head.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby StrangeRanger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:07 pm

That is just such a bad idea on so many levels.

You will have to completely reconfigure your engine to use one of their heads. Because the order of the valves is different, you're looking at a custom made intake manifold and a custom ground camshaft as well as a custom header.

That head will flow a ton at WOT and 8000 RPM but it will make the engine run like crap at 2500 because you'll have no flow velocity. It's a classic example of a race part which has no earthly purpose on a street driven vehicle.

You need to sit down and define the limits of your project in realistic terms rather than just "more" and determine the parts it will take to get you there. If "streetable" is within your scope, the AJ head is not one of those parts.
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)
User avatar
StrangeRanger
VIP Member
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Location: Copley, OH

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby 82F100 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Thats the price I was given. For a head builder whose name I got from here. I still have the e-mail.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Was that from Arnolds? Also check with Mondello as they were one of the places Clifford use to farm work out to.
78' pinto full tube chassis 300/c-4 under construction
Image 300's make good truck motors....not race motors
User avatar
82F100
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Phoenix , AZ

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:20 pm

StrangeRanger wrote:That is just such a bad idea on so many levels.

You will have to completely reconfigure your engine to use one of their heads. Because the order of the valves is different, you're looking at a custom made intake manifold and a custom ground camshaft as well as a custom header.

That head will flow a ton at WOT and 8000 RPM but it will make the engine run like crap at 2500 because you'll have no flow velocity. It's a classic example of a race part which has no earthly purpose on a street driven vehicle.

You need to sit down and define the limits of your project in realistic terms rather than just "more" and determine the parts it will take to get you there. If "streetable" is within your scope, the AJ head is not one of those parts.


Well thanks for the info. I didnt know all of that. And I decided to rebuild the stock head. I think Im just going to build up a good engine from a more reliable and driveable form. Realistically, 6,000 RPM is a good top RPM.

Was that from Arnolds? Also check with Mondello as they were one of the places Clifford use to farm work out to.


Yes.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Positively Ralf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 pm

If you want to embarrass those v8s, why not ditch the 300 idea and do something like the guy who runs that 8 sec 6 cylinder Ford Cortina? Unless of course this is going to be a street car as well.
1974 Ford Maverick currently in pure stock form. Upgrades coming soon.
Positively Ralf
Registered User
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:15 pm
Location: Yonkers, NY

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 am

Positively Ralf wrote:If you want to embarrass those v8s, why not ditch the 300 idea and do something like the guy who runs that 8 sec 6 cylinder Ford Cortina? Unless of course this is going to be a street car as well.


its going to be a street car. I am going back with my original plan. build up a nice engine from modded (polished and ported) stock 300 head, stock internals, and just go for a good looking restored street car. I would still like to get 12s so I will take special care with the engine. I priced chassis components last night. Thats going to cost more than I thuoght. so back to a more basic project......... :oops:
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:46 am

If you asked for a drag race head then he quoted you a head with all new titanium valves, new titanium retainers, and tripple springs. Also probably moving the valve guides to a more advantageous location. None of that stuff is necessary for a street driven car, but it is impossible to be NHRA competitive without those mods - and more.

You need to do more homework (i.e. study the posts in this website) or you are about to spend far too much for an engine that will possibly give you less than adequate results.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING
User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
 
Posts: 4547
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:If you asked for a drag race head then he quoted you a head with all new titanium valves, new titanium retainers, and tripple springs. Also probably moving the valve guides to a more advantageous location. None of that stuff is necessary for a street driven car, but it is impossible to be NHRA competitive without those mods - and more.

You need to do more homework (i.e. study the posts in this website) or you are about to spend far too much for an engine that will possibly give you less than adequate results.


I specified a street head. And I think I was just expiriencing an overload of ideas and a fervent outburst of just simply wanting to overdo EVERYTHING. After spending a few moments alone with the car it told me (ha ha) it just wanted a lot of TLC and just a good solid engine to propel it along though life.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby Lazy JW » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 am

FordMan1988 wrote:...... After spending a few moments alone with the car it told me (ha ha) it just wanted a lot of TLC and just a good solid engine to propel it along though life.


Good plan. A 300 hp Ford 300 I6 in a Mustang is very doable and is still a pretty skookum powerplant that will garner lots of attention.
Best wishes and please keep us posted as your project progresses.
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Image
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 pm
Location: Careywood, Idaho

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:30 am

Lazy JW wrote:
FordMan1988 wrote:...... After spending a few moments alone with the car it told me (ha ha) it just wanted a lot of TLC and just a good solid engine to propel it along though life.


Good plan. A 300 hp Ford 300 I6 in a Mustang is very doable and is still a pretty skookum powerplant that will garner lots of attention.
Best wishes and please keep us posted as your project progresses.
Joe


Hopefully in a couple weeks I will post BEFORE pics of car and engine. Im really going to look into Cliffords package that contains intake manifod and complete kit with 2 2bbl Webers. Since someone has already done homework on them.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 am

See. Look how much this website has been of use to you already. Good luck on your project.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING
User avatar
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member
 
Posts: 4547
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:25 pm
Location: FRENCHTOWN

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby StrangeRanger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:41 pm

I did a little more research. Sissell's web site is down but they are still very much in business. You can get a hold of Mike Kirby (who runs/owns Sissell's) by leaving a message at (626) 331-2727. He is usually in the shop working but returns calls as soon as he can. Sissell's is one of the "name" shops for 6 cyl stuff. They're better known for their C***y work but they do good Fords too.
1996 F-150 (tow missile)
1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)
User avatar
StrangeRanger
VIP Member
 
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Location: Copley, OH

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby bubba22349 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:28 pm

“I priced chassis components last night. Thats going to cost more than I thuoght. so back to a more basic project......... “

What were you looking to do to the chassis? The cheap way to up grade the front end of Mustangs and Falcons is to drop the upper A arms like was used on the Shelby GT 350 and swap a set of Granada disk brakes good set of shocks. After that if you want more you could swap in a quicker ratio steering box and add a stiffer front spring bigger sway bar and a rear bar.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My fleet of Sixes: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.
User avatar
bubba22349
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5818
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Flagstaff, Az. 86005 near the old Route 66

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 pm

bubba22349 wrote:“I priced chassis components last night. Thats going to cost more than I thuoght. so back to a more basic project......... “

What were you looking to do to the chassis? The cheap way to up grade the front end of Mustangs and Falcons is to drop the upper A arms like was used on the Shelby GT 350 and swap a set of Granada disk brakes good set of shocks. After that if you want more you could swap in a quicker ratio steering box and add a stiffer front spring bigger sway bar and a rear bar.


not sure yet, the car sat up for at least 8 years. I intend to convert it to power steering. Just depends on what I find when I start taking it apart.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby J.R. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:37 am

FordMan1988 wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:“I priced chassis components last night. Thats going to cost more than I thuoght. so back to a more basic project......... “

What were you looking to do to the chassis? The cheap way to up grade the front end of Mustangs and Falcons is to drop the upper A arms like was used on the Shelby GT 350 and swap a set of Granada disk brakes good set of shocks. After that if you want more you could swap in a quicker ratio steering box and add a stiffer front spring bigger sway bar and a rear bar.


not sure yet, the car sat up for at least 8 years. I intend to convert it to power steering. Just depends on what I find when I start taking it apart.


Factory "Power Steering" option for Mustangs of that era utilized the 'quicker ratio steering box'. It still provides good "road feel" vs. the over-assisted, effortless, dead-stick feel of most of the GMs and the large Ford sedans (with power steering boxes from GM !). BTW, a clue GM engineers were well aware of the lack of steering feedback... the Corvette power steering was still "linkage assist" style also, with good road feel, of course.


J.R.
SoCal
J.R.
Registered User
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:11 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: 300+ hp 300 builds.

Postby FordMan1988 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:07 am

J.R. wrote:
FordMan1988 wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:“I priced chassis components last night. Thats going to cost more than I thuoght. so back to a more basic project......... “

What were you looking to do to the chassis? The cheap way to up grade the front end of Mustangs and Falcons is to drop the upper A arms like was used on the Shelby GT 350 and swap a set of Granada disk brakes good set of shocks. After that if you want more you could swap in a quicker ratio steering box and add a stiffer front spring bigger sway bar and a rear bar.


not sure yet, the car sat up for at least 8 years. I intend to convert it to power steering. Just depends on what I find when I start taking it apart.


Factory "Power Steering" option for Mustangs of that era utilized the 'quicker ratio steering box'. It still provides good "road feel" vs. the over-assisted, effortless, dead-stick feel of most of the GMs and the large Ford sedans (with power steering boxes from GM !). BTW, a clue GM engineers were well aware of the lack of steering feedback... the Corvette power steering was still "linkage assist" style also, with good road feel, of course.


J.R.
SoCal


I remember a 1990 Nissan D21 single cab truck I had. (little 2400cc inline 4 cy/ 5speedl) NO powersteering. You would work yourself to death theying to parallel park! I just want to avoid that.
2007 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6
1994 Ford F150 302 EFI V8
68 Mustang (long term project)
1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"
User avatar
FordMan1988
Registered User
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Deep East Texas


Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests