It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:18 pm

forged 300 pistons 

Post forged 300 pistons
I have been sniffing around for Forged pistons for my 300. After loooking through replasement pistons for the 300, all I see is hypers and cast. What should I be looking at for Forged? If the 300 has a 4.000 bore can I use 302 Forged 4.030 pistons? (I plan to overbore .030) I may run nitrous so Id rather have forged pistons over hypers.

1969 Ford F100 Ranger 360 V8

First On Race Day

"Nobody wants a Six Cylinder"

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Post Re: forged 300 pistons
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60518
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56623&p=436048&hilit=390+pistons#p436048
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49086&p=435690&hilit=390+pistons#p435690
I think you can make the small block 351 work, but i've heard better success with using the 360/390 pistons as stated above

1974 Ford F-250, Turbocharged and Intercooled 300, Megasquirt Fuel Injection and Ignition control, EDIS, 7.8:1 compression, Harland Sharp roller rockers, Crane 284/272 cam, mild port/polish carb head - 194/1.60 valves, EFI manifolds into turbo - 3.5 inch to muffler - dual 3 inch out the back.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:37 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRW-8KL2482F30/

Im not very knowledgeable on this, but there are 302 pistons with the same bore. What would prevent these from working properly? (there probably is one, Id like to hear about it)

First On Race Day

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:13 pm
VIP Member

302 pistons have a compression height of 1.605"
300 pistons have a compression height of 1.757"
302 rods have a wrist pin diameter of .9121-.9122"
300 rods have a wrist pin diameter of .9749-.9754"

351 pistons will come a lot closer. They have a CH of 1.769" but they have the same .912" wrist pin. If you can find a set of early 300 rods they have the same pin diameter or you can bush down a set of late model rods.

Or you can get a set of 300 pistons.

Please read the FAQs in this forum. 100% of this is in the FAQs specifically so that we do not have to post it over and over again.

2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe (daily driver)

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:40 pm

StrangeRanger wrote:
302 pistons have a compression height of 1.605"
300 pistons have a compression height of 1.757"
302 rods have a wrist pin diameter of .9121-.9122"
300 rods have a wrist pin diameter of .9749-.9754"

351 pistons will come a lot closer. They have a CH of 1.769" but they have the same .912" wrist pin. If you can find a set of early 300 rods they have the same pin diameter or you can bush down a set of late model rods.

Or you can get a set of 300 pistons.

Please read the FAQs in this forum. 100% of this is in the FAQs specifically so that we do not have to post it over and over again.

Sorry, It takes me forever to locate stuff like this and with my slow internet it would take hours, instead I can get an answer just asking the question and someone will respond who knows it off the tops of their head.

First On Race Day

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 pm

check with vinolia pistons i think they have flat and dome both not sure on price but they make forged pistons for the 300

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 pm
FSP Moderator

FordMan1988 wrote:

Sorry, It takes me forever to locate stuff like this and with my slow internet it would take hours, instead I can get an answer just asking the question and someone will respond who knows it off the tops of their head.

Nope.
StrangeRanger made a very polite suggestion that you read the FAQ thread which is located near the top of the very forum we are on. You simply are not trying to put forth any reasonable effort; you are already logged on and it will NOT take any longer to load than this thread.
Joe

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:29 am

Quote:
Nope.
StrangeRanger made a very polite suggestion that you read the FAQ thread which is located near the top of the very forum we are on. You simply are not trying to put forth any reasonable effort; you are already logged on and it will NOT take any longer to load than this thread.
Joe

Not putting forth any reasonable effort? You have no idea how many threads I have read or how many hours I spend reading this stuff. since I bought the car every spare minute I have been reading something about it, I have read FAQs on a lot of things. Maybe Im just stupid and have to ask the question or maybe I didnt really understand what I read and how it relates to what Im doing. You assume that I know a lot more than I actually do. Two years ago all I could do was change oil. when I start reading all these numbers its just numbers. It takes me a long time to figure out what it all means. I spent hours the other day trying to figure out how to figure compression, I had a thread with every peice of info I needed in front of me, but I still dont know exactly how to do it. Maybe I ask a lot of stupid questions, maybe I realize it after I ask, maybe im just a kid trying to learn all they can. Im not 30, i dont know what im doing, I dont understand everything I read, and sometimes I overlook things but you know what? Im obsessed, I know I can do it if I get my hands on it, I LOVE it, I will lay under a truck working for hours, Im stupid but somehow I will understand all of this one day, and some day that pile of parts that used to be a 67 mustang will drive out of my garage with fury. I may be annoying and maybe I do overlook things but I have a dream and nothing can stop me from acheiving it. Im trying to arrange my job schedule to go back to college so I can fully understand everything but until then all I can do is read as much as I can and ask what I dont understand.

First On Race Day

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 am

FordMan1988 wrote:
Quote:
Nope.
Joe

Not putting forth any reasonable effort? You have no idea how many threads I have read or how many hours I spend reading this stuff. since I bought the car every spare minute I have been reading something about it, I have read FAQs on a lot of things. Maybe Im just stupid and have to ask the question or maybe I didnt really understand what I read and how it relates to what Im doing. You assume that I know a lot more than I actually do. Two years ago all I could do was change oil. when I start reading all these numbers its just numbers. It takes me a long time to figure out what it all means. I spent hours the other day trying to figure out how to figure compression, I had a thread with every peice of info I needed in front of me, but I still dont know exactly how to do it. Maybe I ask a lot of stupid questions, maybe I realize it after I ask, maybe im just a kid trying to learn all they can. Im not 30, i dont know what im doing, I dont understand everything I read, and sometimes I overlook things but you know what? Im obsessed, I know I can do it if I get my hands on it, I LOVE it, I will lay under a truck working for hours, Im stupid but somehow I will understand all of this one day, and some day that pile of parts that used to be a 67 mustang will drive out of my garage with fury. I may be annoying and maybe I do overlook things but I have a dream and nothing can stop me from acheiving it. Im trying to arrange my job schedule to go back to college so I can fully understand everything but until then all I can do is read as much as I can and ask what I dont understand.

I found some info in the FAQs that helped somewhat.

First On Race Day

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:41 am
FSP Moderator

My apologies for being harsh, we have no way of knowing what a person's experience/skill level may be. There really is a lot of useful info in the FAQ's but there is truly a lot lacking there as well. It is really important to learn to walk before trying run lest you get discouraged and give up entirely.

When I started out as a motorhead back in the 1970's there was no such thing as Internet; I had to buy books and magazines, etc. I still own most of those books which fill several shelves and boxes. When I wanted to look something up, I first had to remember which box it was in, then find the book, and so on. I would have dearly loved to be able to simply click on a Search button and have all of this information available practically for free.

Don't give up. Search. Read. Read some more. Ask questions. When someone shows a genuine desire to learn, we love to help.
Have fun,
Joe

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:04 am
VIP Member

FordMan, I think that regular long-term readers of this forum like myself can sense your enthusiasm but also your lack of experience with major automotive engine/transmission projects. That is where our frustration with some of your querries stems. You are about to undertake a difficult project with little experience to address the myriad issues that arise.

Here is my suggestion (which I am sure you will not want to hear but FWIW could save you much time, money and anguish):

Either build your Mustang or a Falcon with an (inline) engine / transmission that was available for it (not a 300) such as a 200

OR

Get a cheap 300 powered truck to build up. Learn about the 300 engine that way before tackling an exotic transplant project.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 am

Its like boxing, at first you get the living daylights beat out of you, then you learn how come back, you get better, then you actually win a match. I got my butt kicked with my first truck, but I lived and learned. I destroyed it in an accident, rolled it back to the house, and rebuilt the front end etc. Its not perfect, its not all straight and just right, but it is still trucking. I dont expect this project to be perfect, but I know I can do it. August 2008 I was hired with a defence contractor, by Nov 2008 I was working ALONE on the most complicated wire harness in the launcher of the most advanced defensive missile system in the world. I was 20. I believe that the limits you have are only those you set yourself. you can do ANYTHYING you want in life no matter how wealthy or smart you are. My nighbor can barely read, but he can take and Ford older than 1996 and tear it to peices and put it back together and make any peice he needs for it from scrap because he WANTS to. The information is there, the help is there, so the sky is the limit. Read Wheels Ford The World, the story of Ford Motor company, it will inspire you. So will the life of Henry Ford.

First On Race Day

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:37 pm
VIP Member

OK FordMan, go for it. To extend your analogy you've chosen a heavyweight champion as your sparring partner. Good luck with it - prove me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. I do like your optimism.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:14 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:
OK FordMan, go for it. To extend your analogy you've chosen a heavyweight champion as your sparring partner. Good luck with it - prove me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. I do like your optimism.

i really expect to get a few black eyes and a busted lip from this, but if it were easy, wouldnt everyone be doing it? Cant be that hard, for every problem there is a solution, it has been done before, there are people here who have done it, and there are people who build engines every day and have been for 35 years that can help me when I get stuck. I just dont want to own another classic car with a warmed over 302 with a C4. The secret is never give up. I believe the automobile is the realm where anything is possible. Henry Ford had no college education, he built a car in his garage. I have the information, the ability, and help. I have no excuse for not being able to. Maybe my first HO 300 will not work propely and have to totally be rebuilt, maybe it will run awesome. Thats a chance you take. I have never been so excited in my life. I cant wait to start getting all my parts together (yes, its in parts and I have no idea how they go back together) and start painting! Im a little short on funds at the moment, but primer, sandpaper, and elbow grease are cheap.

First On Race Day

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:32 pm