1963 Fairlane Drag Race Project!

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

1963 Fairlane Drag Race Project!

Postby bubba22349 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:14 am

The 1963 Fairlane Drag Race Project

The gasser’ s were a big thing in So Cal got to see few up close on my first trip to Drags Irwindale had booked a match race of Stone, Woods & Cook Vs. Big John Mazmanan two 41 Willy's coupes. So that’s what pops in to my mind when I hear the word gassers there were also many cars roaming the streets built to have that kind of look. I built several of these and also helped on friend’s builds. Also a serious effort at building me a 41 A/Gas car, the impression of those first two gassers! I also liked the top SS and FX cars. My idea is to build the 63 like one these types of cars.

I remember also hearing about a 63 Fairlane that Bill Lawton drove for Tasca Ford. In looking for more info found that they had first built a 62 version (Challenger ) and later on the 63 (Zimmy I). I did not get to see either of these two Fairlanes run, have seen severial of Tascas later efforts run at the Winternatals. I think Bob Tasca might of had some pull with Ford although the factorys were trying to look like they were out of racing certain teams got the back door help with the latest parts first. It is rumored that Ford was very impressed by the performance of Zimmy I, and put in an order to build 100 new Fairlanes for the 64 years SS wars and the Thunder Bolts swept the top SS class in 64. I never got the chance crawl under one of these real Thunder Bolts so still don’t know how they did the front suspention most arcticals and pictures never show or give much details on the front. The info that I found on the 63 car is also short on info and found only one picture of it yet I do like the looks of it. From fitting a 427 & 428 FE in two 65 Mustang fastbacks I know the towers need to be severialy cut or taken out. I have seen many others that were done with tube frame stub or the stock frame with either a tube axel and a pair of semi elictic srings or an early Econoline axel moded to fit. This 63 was done with the Econoline way when a 427 and four speed were installed. It was race at Bakersfield and the other old strips in the central Ca area. Sometime in the late 70’s a 351C and T10 were swaped in it was changed back to a combo street and bracket racer. This is how I bought it in 85 around 88 engine was pulled for another car and has sat since due to work and not much free time.

62 FX Car
Tasca had a couple of guys working in his service department who raced, John Healey and Dean Gregson, who partnered on a Galaxie that ran in Super Stock. When Ford was getting hammered by 421-cu.in. Pontiac Tempests and big-block Chevy Ils in A/FX during the 1962 season, a subcontractor named Detroit Steel and Tubing fabricated a new front end for the little Fairlane that could accommodate the bruising 406-cu. in. Ford performance engine. It was called the Challenger, and one of the earliest ones went to Tasca Ford for development work. Fitted with an automatic transmission, it quickly dipped into the 12s, with Healey in the seat.

63 FX Car

One of Tasca’s first innovations was campaigning a ’62 Fairlane with a 406-cid engine for A/FX competition. The car, called the Challenger, was built by Detroit Steel and Tubing firm and required many modifications to shoehorn the large engine into the midsize engine compartment. A second version, Zimmy I, was built in 1963 with a 427-cid high-riser engine, and Bill Lawton drove it to a new A/FX national record of 12.21 later that season.

Bob Tasca
For years Tasca’s Providence, R.I. dealership Tasca Ford sponsored Super Stock, A/FX, and Funny Car driver Bill Lawton, whose John Healey-tuned Mustang won the Factory Experimental title at 1965 Winter nationals. In 1962 and 1963, Tasca, Lawton, and Healy campaigned one of a kind 427-cid Ford Thunderbolts, which were the for runners of the famous Ford Thunderbolt Super Stock entries in 1964.

Bill Lawton
Tasca found himself being badgered by a local racer named Bill Lawton, who was a legitimate tough guy in a 409 Chevy.

"The Chevys had been kicking the pants off us at all the race tracks, and especially with the kids on the streets," he said. "So Bill Lawton walks in here one night at 11 o'clock and he's talking about the Chevys, and I told him, 'You'll never win another race in a Chevy again.' So we took that '62 Galaxie to the Charlestown Naval Air Station, and my mechanic drove it to a 13.33. Lawton had never run quicker than 13.60, and when he got in it, he ran 12.90. He never drove a Chevy again for the rest of his life."

Tasca went on to handle the development work on a 1963 Fairlane powered by a dual-quad, high-riser 427 Ford, dubbed Zimmy I, which would be the predecessor of the 1964 Thunderbolt. Lawton would campaign one of those for Tasca, called Zimmy II, and would move on to a succession of big-inch Mustangs running in both Super Stock and the FX classes, the latter with the SOHC 427 that Ford drag raced after NASCAR banned it. His sons worked closely with Ford in the development of the 428-cu.in Super Cobra Jet. Lawton, who died in 1999, won more than 90 percent of the races he entered, by Tasca's estimation. As the wild stockers changed inexorably into Funny Cars, Tasca left the sport as a team owner, since they didn't represent anything he sold. “

Okay so what do you think mine looks a lot like this and in the old days when you brought a car like that to the locale strip they put you in the Gas classes just for the non stock front suspension. By the time I got out of the army except for national meets the local stips here had converted over to bracket racing programs, I did like this type racing also. It is nearly a stock body except for the Econoline swap under it and a teardrop hood scoop has about a 67 Mustang 9 inch under the back and a pair of old drag masters that I had form a previous Mustang added some home made spring clamps. Typical old backyard engineering it did hook up good and think would not have much trouble getting a set of 8 inch slicks or maybe the drag radials (have not tried them before). Is it a true Gasser no! It had little engine set back from the 10% they allowed and it has nearly the full interior including stock windows so is more of those old street versions.

For parts have two 300 carb engines one new med duty rebuilt other a running core with couple loose guides, a 240 bare head, new set of truck style headers, point and DSII setup. Clifford 3x2 intake no carbs think this probably won’t fit under the hood I don’t know what a weber measure's in height. Have a good lead on set of the Clifford drag headers don’t know what body style they are made for. From the old 351C is a four speed top loader with mr. gasket straight line shifter lakewood bell, billet mcleod flywheel, and fresh zoom clutch. Also have a few Holleys and autolite carbs, art car rev. manual valve c6 fe case and 5000 converter, from the old A/gas car, rebuilt c4, a fmx, and couple of T10’s. d.t. locker unit 28 spines short on 9 inch gears 3.00’s one 3.50, lots of housings and stock axles, cases. I would like to put it in the 13.20's to 12.80 range have not weighted it guess should be about 2900 to 3100 pound ready to go. Any suggestions on this 300 engine race build? Can't remember how to do the pictures so will have to add those a bit later.
Last edited by bubba22349 on Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My fleet of Sixes: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.
bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: 1963 Fairlane Drag Race Project!

Postby super4ord » Mon May 17, 2010 9:52 am

Robert,

Talk to me about the toploader and T-10's, maybe we can work something out with the 300 stuff. You can PM or call me. I'll get you the pics tonight, weather cooperating. Thank you.

Darrell
1971 AM General M35A2 Bobbed 478 Inline 6 Multifuel Turbo Diesel...Big Toy
1978 Mercury Zephyr Trike 170 Inline 6/C4...New Project
1981 Fairmont Wagon...200 Inline 6/T-5...Rebuild Started
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.6L Bent6...Daily Driver
super4ord

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon May 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Wow! I love the older gasser cars. Yours sounds like a lot of fun and it sounds like you have the background and experience to pull it off. I don't know if you live anywhere near eastern Ohio but we are headed to a nostalgia gasser race at Thompson Raceway Park the first weekend in June. If you want a real adrenaline fix don't miss it. There will even be some six powered cars there, along with stick shifted super stockers, FEDs, altereds and more.

Regarding your build, if you want to race only, and a bullet proof combination that you can drive more than do maintenance on here is what I recommend:
big valve head
roller rocker arms
a race cam with about .650 lift, roller if you can afford it
12:1 compression

C6 trans (I know they're power robbers, but heck, one will live forever behind a stout 300)
4000 - 5000 stall 8_inch converter

9 inch rear w/ mid 4s gear ratio and spool

If you want to go street/strip and use it for cruising then use a hydraulic cam around .500 lift, 9.5:1 compression, and 2500 stall converter and a 3.50 posi rear.

If you think it is more fun to bang the gears I would use a 2.78 toploader. If winning races is your thrill go with the auto.

My street driven Willys gasser has a 305, 11:1 CR, hydraulic cam, c6, 2500 stall, 3.50 posi, 2x2 intake and a big valve head. It weighs 2350 lbs and has run 13.44 on BF Goodrich radial truck tires. That should give you an idea of what can be done. Good luck.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Postby bubba22349 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Thank you sounds like that would be a fun race to go too would be great to see all those nostalgia cars run. Years ago used enjoy seeing Ohio George run his Gassers tried to keep up on the news about his cars favorite was his 33 Willy’s. I am in the Southern California area the wife and I will be heading back to Virginia for our grand daughters graduation about that time so would only be around 500 miles away maybe if the timing works out right could go.

Sounds like your reading my mind I want to build a combo that dose not have to have constant maintenance don’t have any helpers so will have to do all the work don’t mind that but it limits some type of mods. It is going to be a racecar first so don’t need to try and drive on the street and I do have a transport truck to get it to the strip. But I will have to build so it can drive back from pass and go again, so big enough radiator starter, alt, etc. Though would not mind taking it for a spin on the street once in awhile don’t want to compromise it much just for that. Was thinking of starting with the four speed only because the car is already set up for it would be fun and used to be good shifting them but that’s long ago. I do think you right about the C6 the constancy would be better for any type of bracket racing all I need to find is a small block case to transplant the old art car parts I have in it and freshen it up seals and clutches.

Either way the rear axle is going to need some work was going to look for a set of stock 31spine axles that would fit in it and add a mini spool. If I need to go with stronger custom axles do you think a 31 spine with a spool would be enough or if you have to buy something new would it better to even go bigger? Have a couple of big bearing housings out of 65 66 the galixe police cars that could cut to fit. If I go that way than maybe should make it so could fit a 10 inch or so tire under it. If I start going that far probably need to put on some ladder bars or just go to a 4 link.

I only did the simple mods to 240 & 300’s in my old work trucks rebuilds the standard heavy duty internal parts simple external mods, carbs, exhaust, and swap in a DSII just enough to keep them working hard. Have not raced since 89 only six I raced was a 223 in the 1960’s so sure will need to learn some new ideas for this 300 build. Have most of the tools and equipment to do the work, have a Baret to CC the head, and have done the simple basic head porting.
Last edited by bubba22349 on Sun May 23, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My fleet of Sixes: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.
bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Mon May 17, 2010 8:15 pm

bubba22349 wrote: do you think a 31 spine with a spool would be enough or if you have to buy something new would it better to even go bigger? Have a couple of big bearing housings out of 65 66 the galixe police cars that could cut to fit. If I go that way than maybe should make it so could fit a 10 inch or so tire under it. If I start going that far probably need to put on some ladder bars or just go to a 4 link.

I think if you are using slicks it would be a good idea to get some axles. That is one part you don't want to torture test to failure. With slicks 35 spline axles are fine. On treaded tires 31 splines will work.
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Postby Buddy Rawls » Tue May 18, 2010 1:55 pm

bubba22349 wrote:...add a mini spool. ....

Most that have ran mini spools (like myself) can go on and on about cross-pins they have broken. With places like Currie and Moser offering real spools for decent prices, why skimp on something has a legitimate history for failing.

another thing to consider is that if it is a 4 speed track car (slicks), then you also really need to consider an aftermarket carrier.

I have been exactly at the same crossroads regarding rear end set-up. I have chosen the most budget route twice. And regretted it both times. I wont do it again. I am not wanting you to spend money, I am just advocating that a component that has a history of failure needs to be looked at very seriously when considering its use. Mini spools were primarily developed for roundy round racing, not hard or instance loading of the rear-end.

street driven, occasional track with treaded tires, slower car is a good candidate for mini spool. However, once you start prepared cars and manual transmissions, they are not the proper path.
It doesn't run quick at the track, but it gets long stares wherever it goes.
Never in a million years did I think I would have an antique hot rod truck, much less with its own name emblazoned on the front fender and a freakin' six cylinder for power;
but it is a Ford, it is old, and it is definitely one of the funnest vehicles I have driven.
Buddy Rawls

Postby bubba22349 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:00 pm

I appreciate that info I have not used a mini spool before so did not know about that weakness. Some one had told me about them years back that it would work ok for a bracket car. I would believe what you say is true and made me remember that back in the old days had broke most all of the parts on ranchero four speed car in the quest from a street car to race car went through clutches, shifter handles, driveshafts u joints, and axles. We used to use detroit lockers at the last we went to a spool, summers axles, about a 5.43, with 10.50 m&h’s.

Have only stock garden variety cases but was going to hunt for an “N” along with big bearing pinion think they were called a Daytona and some 31 spine axles. My old brain is a little hazy on something’s and of courses will be a first on the 300 drag combo. I do want to get the right parts and if some money needs to be spent that’s ok is worth it to me to cut down on learning time and in the end it is not that cheap to fix things over again. Was hopping to not have to back half the car right away though think it would have to happen eventually so maybe just need to plan on it now. Also trying to sift through the old posts for info that would fit for this race build. Thanks for the help.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby 82F100 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:03 am

Bubba, aren't you in Cali? if so If you can run 13's you should be able to run at the reunions at Bakersfield. Along with ANRA, there are also inline races in Redding and Sacremento. We also have a great Nostalgia event in April where we have a Flathead /Inliner race here in Phoenix.
78' pinto full tube chassis 300/c-4 under construction
Image 300's make good truck motors....not race motors
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I do live in the So Cal area use to go to the old Reunion meets years ago had not heard about them for a long time. Had some health issues in mid 90's so been out of this sport a lot of years now. Before that as they started shutting down all the local area strips had harder time to get to the races as often. Was spolied back in the early days with so many locale area tracks short tow away and the programs varied so it was easy to make it to the races up to three times a week. Raced at Fontana, Lyon's (my favorite) until close in 72, Irwindale was next only about five miles away, than OC later 70's Palmdale / Lancaster also closed years ago. For years they were promising the racers here that they would build a new track and rumors that Ford was to put up 5 mil. to help get it going, still it never happened. I also raced a few years at Bakersfield when lived in the Visalia area was the last racing I did as we then moved back down to So Cal. area. We do have a fairly new oval track they added an 1/8 mile strip too. Is only about 3 or 4 miles away the new Iriwndale you can hear the circle track racers sometimes when wind blows this direction, on the Drag cars think they require mufflers. Do plan to do some testing of the car there have never run an 1/8 and not sure that will care for it seams like it will be over too quick but who knows at least will be back racing again. Have also found out that they hold some meets out at the Fontana track (mostly its like a NSCAR track) heard about a flathead V8 & forever fours race also sixes think they allow cars up into 1950's might be next month June so maybe can get to go watch.
Last edited by bubba22349 on Sun May 23, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Wed May 19, 2010 8:26 pm

While I prefer quarter mile racing, I also enjoy the 1/8. You may find that a 300 powered car is well suited to eighth mile racing as it generally leaves harder then lays down on the top end due to smallish induction systems. So the closing speed differential will not be as large and the racing is usually tighter. My rebuilt Logghe car is going to be optimized for eighth mile - It will be wound well past the useable HP limit in the quarter, but lots of nostalgia racing is eighth mile.
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Postby Thad » Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Here a Ford gasser. Too far away and a bit rich, but interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-FOR ... 35a960ba91
There are those who just dream,
and there are those who do more than dream. ><> = +
Thad
FSP Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:08 am

Yeah but they had to put the BB X motor :oops:

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby 82F100 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:33 am

Frenchtown, what does your roadster run in the 1/8th? One of the local heads up groups here has a 6.50 index class thats looks like alot of fun.
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby 82F100 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:36 am

I have some friends that run at Fontana on the drag strip. I think there is a race coming up this weekend there, Pacific Street Car association. It's heads up racing with a few index classes and brackets aswell.
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:05 am

:thanks: Interesting will have to see if can find out more and go watch it’s not that far at all. We have some family over in Chandler AZ so maybe if can get the old hauler riding smooth enough might be able to talk wife into going then could go to drags there. Years ago would have said that never would happen but we picked up our first RV end of last year and another first is that she now owns herself a pickup truck so it could happen. Our initial outing was over to Quartzite AZ. end of Jan. was a nice trip.

Try to post couple pickture now think maybe got it figured out.

The 63 Fairlane 500 Sport Coupe
http://img693.imageshack.us/i/img2499t.jpg/

The Old 56 Hauler
http://img709.imageshack.us/i/img2550c.jpg/

The no big rust issues and metal is decent except for 63 pass front fender. They both need paint really bad from sitting in the out in the California sun.

SWC an old favorite drag shot it’s just like I remember it. :cool:
http://img155.imageshack.us/i/stoneburnout.jpg/

The only picture have of Tasca's 63 Fairlane A/FX car and the inspration for this project just won't work is on an old word doc think its also in the Stock and Super Stock book I have somewhere. :bang: Oh well.
Last edited by bubba22349 on Sun May 23, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu May 20, 2010 3:17 pm

82F100 wrote:Frenchtown, what does your roadster run in the 1/8th? One of the local heads up groups here has a 6.50 index class thats looks like alot of fun.

5.7s; best of 5.69
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Postby 82F100 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

bubba, I like the hauler way cool! Here is a link to some awesome photo collections. you'll spend hours surfing thru here.
http://whatsnew.fotki.com/mastermodeler/
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:28 pm

:thanks: is great old truck have had it since 1976 :D Old hauler could use a fresh engine uses some oil is down on power a new pair of front tires mechanically rest is still good yet :!: :wow: Lots of the 64 Ford Thunder bolts. I have been looking for pictures like that mostly of how they did the front suspension on them. Only seen a couple bolts ever make a pass at Winternationals. Seamed like they retired most of them from SS racing long before I even started going to the drags in late 66. Sure would like to have the opportunity to look at one up close & crawl under the front end of an orig. and study it or find some detailed pictures. Like when they were building them at Dearborn Steel Tubing :nod:
Last edited by bubba22349 on Fri May 21, 2010 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby Thad » Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Maybe this will help--

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Ford+Thund ... &FORM=QSRE

Hot Rod article has a low angle shot of the front end IFS what appears to be stock Ford.
Also a side bar article where H&M made an FIA road race T-bolt.
The Craig Sutton article shows alter wheel base T-bolt clones with beam axles.

The Wickersham T-bolt is from Orange,Tx - next door. He also had a '65 Mustang FB A/FX. We bought a '65 Mustang FB HiPo from his dealership, ran 0.20sec under C/S NHRA record at the time. We often ran the same strips.
Thad
FSP Moderator

Postby 82F100 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:08 am

There is also a T-bolt thread over on the H.A.M.B., might check there aswell.
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby 82F100 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 am

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:
82F100 wrote:Frenchtown, what does your roadster run in the 1/8th? One of the local heads up groups here has a 6.50 index class thats looks like alot of fun.

5.7s; best of 5.69

The white pick' up runs that :shock:
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:22 am

Thanks Thad, there were lots of pictures a couple shots of front end showing lower part of it. Interesting looks like it’s the stock lower a arms, strut rods spindles and brakes.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri May 21, 2010 12:47 pm

82F100 wrote:
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:

5.7s; best of 5.69

The white pick' up runs that :shock:

Oh sorry. That one runs 7.4s with 2.47 rear gears. Right now it is set up to run Sportsman / Street with a 12.00 minimum dial. I built it with the intention of running NHRAs Super Street 10.90 heads up class with a gear change to 4.71 but I never got the time to run it as such. By the way I still think that would be the killer car for that class. In 9.90 racing almost everybody has switched to topless "roadsters" because they afford so much better visibility for judging your opponents position on the track. The Super Street 10.90 class is still predominantly doorslammers as there is a 2800 lb - I think - minimum weight. BUT,BUT but,but... there is a provision in the class rules that says if you run a six you only have to weigh 2000 lbs. If you run a foru you only have to weigh 1200 lbs. It isnt possible to build a 1200 lb car and meet all the other rules, but a 2000 lb roadster is definitely possible. I built mine from .134" wall thickness DOM tubing and it weighs 2050 LB with 70 lb of ballast in the box.

Rich, your Pinto would be a good car to race Super Street if you can get it near to the 2000 lb minimum.

Sorry for the hijack. I guess it is sort of tangentially related.

6re6
AD/HD
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Postby bubba22349 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 am

Thanks everyone for all the great links, advice, and info has been big help. Have made some progress towards the final build plan. Decided that since it already has the straight axle under will make the body resemble one of the old FX style Thunderbolts, like they were set up for match racing. Want to adapt some disks on front axle though, as it did not stop all that well before. The rest of chassis ideas are almost determined too, leaning heavy towards the top loader so can go and bang some gears. So if can locate a reasonable deal on the 35 spline axles, spool, etc. then will also run a 4 link, slicks and do a backhalf. If the budget can’t handle it right now than will just go with a C6 setup and the drag radials.

Been studying FTF bracket engine build story and other posts to try to learn the different combo’s. If can find a 300 steel crank that will help decide on the rod and piston combo really want something that stays together and is easy to maintain. Also heard of a 240 core in this locale area if it looks decent will try to pick that up. Seemed like my old 65 with 240 revved quicker than the later 300 combo I ran, but the 300 did have much better low end torque. So my thinking right now is that a 240 with 4 speed may also be good combo and think would be fun to see what the small motor could do.

If I can score the set of webers will run the Clifford 3x2 set up was wondering if some delorto’s would not also work? Other wise will get a single 4 V intake of some kind to start have lots of Holleys range from a 390 to an 850 in the old parts stash. Think I remember someone had posted a picture of a Holman Moody 4V sure like the looks of it and would be kind of be a period look too, imagine they are probably rare don’t remember ever seeing one. Later as an experiment might try to weld up some aluminum into an old style tunnel ram intake with a pair of carbs. Well can’t wait to get something together go racing again hoping on something for end of July. I have a fresh stock 300 was a spare form the work trucks might have to bolt that in and go try it for a baseline. Was wondering if anyone might have some of the old Clifford catalogs to check some part numbers found a few nos parts near by?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby Thad » Sat May 22, 2010 9:26 am

IMHO -- In bracket racing banging gears is for fun, automatics are for winning.
The consistency of the auto trans is hard to beat and the key to bracket racing is consistency.
The C-6 is good but heavy and uses alot of power internally. The C-4 can be built to handle anything the 300 can be built to. Lighter less parasitic power loss.
Might give a look at a modified lower efi intake manifold. Build plenum for carbs of your choice, 2 x 2V, 2 x 4V. Longer runners than other after market intakes, more low end torque.
Are you going altered wheel base? Is the beam axle Econoline or have Econoline spindles? If yes there are disc brakes kits available.
Thad
FSP Moderator

Postby 82F100 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:39 pm

bubba pm me the #'s and I will look them up I have a 70' & 78' catalog. As for the Holman Moody intakes would think they would be more suited for a manual tranny vs. a automatic.You might pm Sixgun and talk to him he has run a few combo's similar to what you want to run.Also the Holman Moody intakes are out there watch E-bay and the swap meets I found mine at the Pomona swap meet.
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Yeah Thad,
I know the four is not best combo in the brackets but it was fun though in past at Lyon’s (another lifetime ago) they had a 12.00 to 12.25 heads up bracket. It was great to race heads up use to run a 64 Ranchero 4 speed often won ran fairly constant in 12.0 to 12.08 range to pull most of them on the top end. The reason for the C6 is that have an old art car race trans left over from old A/G car FE case so just need to pickup a SBF case and freshen it up with rebuild kit. I do have a C4 rebuilt stock though.

It has the Econoline beam axle with stock drum brakes. Not going the altered wheelbase right now unless I do the back half I do like them though, and not afraid to cut this one up. Most of body is excellent including the floors so just needs little massaging to rear part of driver’s side fender and some paint or even just a primer job and is good to go. Like that idea for the intake could try that.
Last edited by bubba22349 on Sun May 23, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks 82F100,
These are the Clifford part numbers that guy say he might have. Hope that might be some of the old drag race headers in there and figure out some basic measurements to mock up engine.53-1140, 53-0240, 53-0304, 53-0560, 53-2544. Also I have picked up an Old Clifford intake 2X3 for Webers with the linkage is a long runner type, would you have any info on that too.

Like that Pinto how’s that combo working you put the engine back under the dash or put a long nose on it? Something was thinking about last night late am kind of a night owl was that maybe building some motor plates out of alum. Like had seen in the old Pinto Pro Stocks of the 70's wonder if anyone might have some patterns from there build that could see?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby 82F100 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:38 pm

bubba this is what i found, I could not find a listing for the 53-1140. Maybe if some one has a 72'-76' catalog I checked in my 70' which had a different parts # system then newer catalogs. I also checked a 78' and a 2000' .

53-0240;
57-64 fairlane, Mercury 240/300, 1 3/4" X 34" rear sect is fenderwell exit, wont fit w/ webers.

53-0304;
60-67' Falcon, Mustang, Fairlane, 240/300 1 3/4" X 34" needs special motor mounts,will work w/ webers

53-0560;
68'-77' Mustang, Maverick, Comet 240/300 1 3/4" X 34" needs special motor mounts, will work w/ webers

53-2544;
Front or rear engine dragster, 1 7/8" X 32"

As for a front motor mount,here's a closer view of mine, Basically the 4 bolts for the waterpump and 2 more over by the timing cover are it to hold the motor.I'm also using a sbf midplate pattern.

The wheelbase on the Pinto is stretched 6". The back of the block is right up next to where the firewall will be, I was going to run a Clifford 3 2V setup later but because of the setback the rear carb would be under the dash behind the windshield line I'm not.
82F100
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks that helps some don't know if they are still all boxed but will go an look at them sounds like a couple of those # might work he just said were a drag header.

Wow you are doing a great job on the Pinto looks like its going to be a real light weight "like a Pro Stock car", and be easy to work on pulling the engine fast. I like it.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby bubba22349 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 am

63 Fairlane Random Thoughts on the Chassis Mods

Took some measurements today and crawled under the chassis to look it over and figure out few ideas its a 116” wheelbase. The 300 core engine is buried in a pile but got a rough measurement it looks as though it would be 31” long from the blocks bell mount to front by going with a single grove type pulley, please correct me if these are off. The front plug centerline looks to be 6 inches rear of the pulley face. Seams like it would be tough to get much of an engine set back. The engine with a bit of surgery to firewall could slide back about 7” this would be in line with the base of the windshield.

On the altered wheelbase idea found that the Econoline front axle could be moved forward from 2” to 4” inches very easily and that the front spring perch would still be hidden behind a fiberglass bumper so just depends how tall of a front tire. With axle moved forward 4” and engine slide back the 7” would give about 5 inches from the axle center to the first plug. On the rear guessing on average that set of rear slicks would be about 31” dia. this should allow the rear axle to move forward up to 18” putting the tub's (33”dia.?) right behind the front seat. How much clearance do I need to allow for the tires to tub's and between rear quarters and side of tire? Wheelbase could end up in 102” to 104”range with the torque of the 300 and all the weight transfer built in it might make for a wild ride.

On a heads up car use to run as tall a front tire as would fit for more roll out. Guess this would not as important on the bracket type cars. It has some 13" steel wheels on it now 24"dia. Had been looking for a pair of 15” x 4” steels or a pair 15 x 3 1/2 Ansen Sprints. Have a pair of 15” x 8” reversed steel and 15” x 10” alum wheels that are like the old Ansen Sprints for the rear. The old SS and FX stocker's ran on the casler cheaters or slicks both 7 "wide and were reported to be quite squirrelly on the top end. Thinking of at least a 8” slick or 10"plus for it. How big a tire will I need? Open to any other thoughts and corrections in the plan.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance