CLIFFORD INTAKE STREET SET UP

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

CLIFFORD INTAKE STREET SET UP

Postby jmc0369 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:50 am

I have a Clifford intake that I have been informed by Clifford that it is for oval track only. The geometry appears identical to the standard intake offered on the website. My initial impression is that the intake I have is the same, just an older model made prior to the current model that has coolant passages integrated. Any body know what I am referring too?

Is there any reason this intake would not perform well on the street with an Autolite 4100 stock motor/head, but headers and dual exhaust? Could a plenum divider be fabricated to tune any issues should some arise?

Its the manifold I have, and my hunch is that it is worlds better than the factory log currently in use and that even though I do not intend to run my 300 up to 6000 RPM, I can still get streetable (daily driving lumber yard runs etc...) performance with what I have. Thanks for your input and guidance.

Jon
jmc0369

Re: CLIFFORD INTAKE STREET SET UP

Postby 66 E100 Pickup » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Is it stamped F-4502? The newer water cooled version is F-4502WH. There are differences on the bottom of the intakes for heating provisions, but it sure looks to me like the plenum and runners are the same. I'd say the top half of the casting is pretty much identical.

You have to remember that Clifford is trying to sell their products, and their radical statement to you might have a tiny bit of logic regarding street driveability differences between the two intakes, more of an issue in colder climates.

John
66 E100 Pickup

Postby jmc0369 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks John.

Yes, taken word from Clifford with a grain of salt.

That being said, I just recieved word from Larry @ Clifford that the intakes are identical with the exception of coolant plumbing.

Thats good as far as I can tell, because I see some favorable reports on their intakes by those that have them. I'm in San Diego, and certainly it does not get "cold" here (at least not enought to ice up). That being said I'd still like to heat the intake should I relocate to a colder clime. What is the best pictoral for making that modification? was thinking of 3/4 aluminum bar drilled and tapped to receive pluming fittings and screwing that to the bottom of the intake Maybe 2 identical plates to provide more contact area.

Jon
jmc0369

Postby bubba22349 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:19 pm

You could make a part to weld onto the bottom that would heat the plenum or you might also use a hot air pipe from the header or exhaust manifold too. Maybe someone has the street version you need and would swap you for it also.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My fleet of Sixes: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.
bubba22349
Global Moderator

Postby 80broncoman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:47 pm

jmc0369 wrote:'''''That being said, I just recieved word from Larry @ Clifford that the intakes are identical with the exception of coolant plumbing.
Jon

I think larry wants to sell another new intake :roll: :roll: and get some more money.
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh
80broncoman
Global Moderator

Postby jmc0369 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:10 pm

2 phone conversations with him, and i get the same idea. Its a shame to see the few remaining American manufacturing companies, be plagued with service problems. I am thinking of a few other experiences I have had lately with US companies. Buffalo Machine Tool being most recent. Amazing their doors are open.

Jon
jmc0369

Postby Lazy JW » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:17 pm

80broncoman wrote:
jmc0369 wrote:'''''That being said, I just recieved word from Larry @ Clifford that the intakes are identical with the exception of coolant plumbing.
Jon

I think larry wants to sell another new intake :roll: :roll: and get some more money.

You can't blame him for trying :D

All joking aside, if I were to install an aftermarket 4V intake I would definitely prefer the heated type with the plumbing already built in. Your drivability even on San Diego will be significantly improved due to better vaporization of the fuel that invariably collects on the floor of the intake manifold.
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby jmc0369 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Essentially it should be easily mitigated as the guys with Offy intakes often mod their intakes for heat. I just have yet to find a really good pictorial write up and need to get my mind around the correct plumbing and fittings. I think (only guessing) the coolant would come from the water pump through what ever fitting I fabricate onto the intake on its way back to the heater core. But mine does not have one :shock:

Hmmm, through the fabbed fitting and back in to the radiator :? the

Jon
jmc0369

Postby Buddy Rawls » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 pm

I live in a warm climate (alabama), and I have not noticed any drawbacks with regards to having the water heated intake. I set-it up first without the water, and it ran fine, but a little to the sluggish side. When I plumbed it into the cooling system, it literally became a different motor (in my case).

Rigging up a heated plenum could produce a better response than you think. It definitely did for me. I thought, I live in the south, I have never worried about heated intakes on V8's and I was running an Offy DP. When I installed the Clifford it worked well, then just for the sake of giving it a shot (since the catalog touted it so well), I hooked up the water. I could have kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

Install it, try to come up with some sort of a heat source (even a choke tube from the exhaust might work very well. But always in the back of your mind keep an eye out for the water heated version.

the intake is nice, I really like mine for sure.
It doesn't run quick at the track, but it gets long stares wherever it goes.
Never in a million years did I think I would have an antique hot rod truck, much less with its own name emblazoned on the front fender and a freakin' six cylinder for power;
but it is a Ford, it is old, and it is definitely one of the funnest vehicles I have driven.
Buddy Rawls

Postby Harte3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:03 am

The Offy intake does not need any modification. One does need to fab a plate with hose barbs to attach to the manifold where the stock log exhaust manifold would normally attach. But the Clifford intake you have does not have that provision at all...it's going to be a develop and try custom fab situation.
'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.
Harte3
VIP Member

Postby Luckyman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:10 am

.............Or try and locate the water heated carb spacer from the 60's Ford V-eights. Sometimes see them on epay or in the wrecking yards. I'm guessing that they are getting scarce in the wrecking yards though.
1 "76" F150 RC, LB, 2WD, 300, NP435, 9" open 3.00, special order 2-76/Delivered 4-76. Still "new".

1 "73-79" F150 RC/SS/SB/4WD, "84"-300, T18, NP205, 9" open 3.50, Dana 44 3.50 open, Offy DP, Holley 470, EFI + single 2.5" exhaust. Gathered from 15+ donor/parts trucks. "Fubar". Runs good, safe, still needs details/project continues.
Luckyman
VIP Member

Postby 69.5Mav » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:15 am

Wrap the intake manifold with copper pluming tubing and if space permits with a layer of header wrap. Then plumb it into either side of the heater hoses. Whichever side works best for you. Copper tube is cheap.
69.5Mav

Postby jmc0369 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:17 am

Thats actually what Larry said happened on the circuit. Sort of a what if and it worked great for them, so they changed the design of the intake.

Still thinking that I could take a piece of 3/4" plate say 3"L X 1"W. Drill thru is and tap to 1/2" NPT for heater hose fittings. Then weld that to the bottom of the intake right below the carb.

Jon
jmc0369

Postby Lazy JW » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 am

jmc0369 wrote:Thats actually what Larry said happened on the circuit. Sort of a what if and it worked great for them, so they changed the design of the intake.

Still thinking that I could take a piece of 3/4" plate say 3"L X 1"W. Drill thru is and tap to 1/2" NPT for heater hose fittings. Then weld that to the bottom of the intake right below the carb.

Jon

This should work fine provided you have the appropriate procedure for welding the materials.
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:20 pm

jmc0369 wrote:That being said I'd still like to heat the intake should I relocate to a colder clime. What is the best pictoral for making that modification?

Jon

For icing instead of heating the manifold I would heat the incoming air by using an exhaust manifold stove. The water heated intake cannot transmit the heat up to the carb to prevent icing under the worst conditions e.g., 40 *F, and humid.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Postby jmc0369 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Flyer, that sounds great don't doubt that it may be the best option. Do you know of a good write up of such a fabrication?

On that note who else is running such a set up? Those with plumbed Cliffords and Offy's probably have not, are they getting by fine without it?

Thanks,
Jon
jmc0369

Postby Harte3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Knock on wood...I do not have exhaust heat plumbed to my carb and have not had an icing problem...yet.
'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.
Harte3
VIP Member

Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance