duraspark 2 problem

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

duraspark 2 problem

Postby fordf250 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:04 pm

ok guys i am :bang: my head on the fender ok here is whats up i have a 84 3/4 ton that had a tfi igniton system i converted it completely over with all new carburetor disturbutor and ignition box and coil wired up to a toggle switch i had one wire hooked to the red wire on the box and one hot wire going to the + side of the coil with no restricter on any wire i am having a missfire at highway speeds so i thought maybe my coil was over heating from to much voltage so i took all my wiring off and ran the wiring correctly start wire to the white wire on the box and the red wire of box going to a hot with key on and a wire with ristricter to the coil with a override wire coming from the start wire it would fire up but just die so i undid my wiring and hooked it up like i had it now the darn truck wont idle and sounds like its missfiring bad at idle what did i do to this darn truck any ideals i have it wired like it was straight hot to coil and red wire on box nothing hooked to white wire
fordf250

Re: duraspark 2 problem

Postby 1bad6t » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm

TFI gets 12v...Red wire to Duraspark box gets 12v...really don't need the white wire (but it's nice to have). Don't need a resistor wire unless you’re running a regular coil.
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4
1bad6t

Postby JackFish » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm

fordf250 wrote:ok guys i am :bang: my head on the fender

ok here is whats up i have a 84 3/4 ton that had a tfi igniton system i converted it completely over with all new carburetor disturbutor and ignition box and coil wired up to a toggle switch

i had one wire hooked to the red wire on the box and one hot wire going to the + side of the coil with no restricter on any wire

i am having a missfire at highway speeds so i thought maybe my coil was over heating from to much voltage, so i took all my wiring off and ran the wiring correctly

start wire to the white wire on the box and the red wire of box going to a hot with key on, and a wire with ristricter to the coil with a override wire coming from the start wire

it would fire up but just die, so i undid my wiring and hooked it up like i had it

now the darn truck wont idle and sounds like its missfiring bad at idle

what did i do to this darn truck any ideas?

i have it wired like it was straight hot to coil and red wire on box nothing hooked to white wire
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1
JackFish
VIP Member

Postby wild bill » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 pm

I just went through the same swap on my 86 F250. Mine had a EEC IV computer with a feed back carb. Someone on this forum said the wires to the module, white and red were reversed on AFTERMARKET modules. You might try this. I found a white wire with a blue stripe for the start circuit put this to the white wire to the module and a run wire with 12v with the key in the run position and put this to the red wire going into the module. Because i'm using a Jacobs multispark ignition I didn't worry about the coil. If you are using pulled parts and assuming all the wires are correct, I would suspect the coil. Are you using a cannister type or the original? I got a MSD blaster cannister typr and so far it seems to work great. The run circuit on a stock setup really needs reduced voltage in run, about 7.9 v. I burned up a module putting 12 v on the run side.
1986 F250 2wd, 300ci, Clifford intake, headers, cam, head, Harland and Sharp roller rockers,Edlebrock 500cfm, Performance distributor, ZF 5 Transmission, 3.55:1 positrac. Owned since new.
wild bill

Postby fordf250 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:48 pm

i am using a stock round style coil and have ran it the entire time since conversion this way a full 12volts to coil and the red wire on the ignition box but have been having a high rpm miss so though i had burnt up my coil changed it that did the same at high rpm so i decided like a idiot to set it up like it should be resister to coil with a start wire bypass and the same wire also to the box but would just start and die so i change my wiring back to the way i had it full 12 volts to coil and box but now it wont run below a certain rmp and even keeping it running i can feel it running really rough i drove it to work like this today and runs ok down hwy but a real pain at stop lights changed coil after i got off to my different coil and no change did i burn up my box???? should i have just went to points i am young ish 27 but i like points silly maybe but simple and cheap to fix
fordf250

Postby fordf250 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:57 pm

ok a little bit of a up date i just pulled the ignition module and brought it to oriellys and had them test it he tested it several times to get it warm inside and it showed to be good so the box is good and the coil is good that means the distuributor is next maybe i need a bigger hammer
:D
fordf250

Postby 80broncoman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:26 pm

fordf250 wrote:ok a little bit of a up date i just pulled the ignition module and brought it to oriellys and had them test it he tested it several times to get it warm inside and it showed to be good so the box is good and the coil is good that means the distuributor is next maybe i need a bigger hammer
:D

Did you install a used distrubtor or a remanned unit from a parts store?
If its a used on simply unhook the vacume hose and test drive the vehicle again if it misses all the time or not at all you likely have a bad magnetic pickup wires. If you have a tach? it will be jumping all round when it is missing.
unhooking the vac advance hose willl stop the plate the pickup bolts from moving and help diagnose the problem.
OAPSE Union Member

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh
80broncoman
Global Moderator

Postby fordf250 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:50 am

the disturbutor is a reman and i will try unhooking the vacume to it today after work to see what that does for it but for now its off to work i go
fordf250

Postby fordf250 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:15 pm

well i forgot to unhook the vac line going to disturbutor to see if that helps but i think i am going to go old school and go with a points disturbutor much easyer and i know what to do with that
fordf250

Postby woodbutcher » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 pm

:) Hi fordf250.When I swapped to DS2 on my 84,All I had to do was remove the computer and the wires that were attached and plug the DS2 box into the existing plugs in the trucks wiring harness.Should be the same for you,as the computer system is a stand alone system separate from the truck harness.
As fumble fingered as I am,I had the thing up and running in about 40 minutes.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck
woodbutcher
VIP Member

Postby Lazy JW » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Points are good :nod:

I helped a buddy convert his 66? Ford bent eight to a TFI ignition using the original breaker points distributor to trigger the TFI module which then fires the TFI coil. You get the best of both worlds: high powered ignition with points that now last forever, and if the module dies you can run straight through the points to get home (the points won't last long though). Read all about it at www.gofastforless.com
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby fordf250 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:47 pm

ya maybe i am wierd but i like points better then electronic points are cheaper and easyer to fix but as far i can figure my pickup coil is cooky but that dont make sense the entire igntion system was brand new 6 months ago and was running decent untill i pulled a dumb move and decided to wire it to factory setting had it running off a toggel switch first but once wire correctly it would not stay running so i put back like i had it now it will die or almost die and then surge up rpm and die out again unless i keep it running i am still driving it to and from work but stop lights suck people think i am trying to race them because i have to keep motor reved up
fordf250

Postby The Plankster Prankster » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:18 am

fordf250 wrote: it would not stay running so i put back like i had it now it will die or almost die and then surge up rpm and die out again unless i keep it running i am still driving it to and from work but stop lights suck people think i am trying to race them because i have to keep motor reved up

that almost sounds like a fuel issue, as if its getting way too much gas and flooding out. had that problem a few times. too many times i've worked on one system and had an unrelated problem start, like the time i did something to my tranny and the cats got plugged up, couldn't make a bit of sense of how my work caused that problem.

if you do convert to a simple points system but need help figuring out details of where to run wires, i did a write-up about it toward the bottom of the "big 6 FAQ" at the top of this forum
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys
The Plankster Prankster

Postby woodbutcher » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:49 pm

:( Hi fordF250.Just because it was new 6 months ago,does`nt mean that it is still good today.Over the years,50 or so,I have seen way too many parts,electrical and other wise
defective right out of a factory sealed box.And I mean NEW and REBUILT.Just because it`s
new does`nt mean its good.
Leo
Otto von Bismarck
woodbutcher
VIP Member

Postby fordf250 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:17 pm

ya woodbutcher i do understand for sure just because its reman or new dont mean much the darn truck died on me this morning on the way to work and would not restart for nothing left on the side of street and this afternoon the darn thing fired right up drove it home just would not idle or even try have to keep it reved up yesterday when i got home in my yard i let it try to idle the motor would almost stall then come back to life then stall again i am going to try putting points in it to see if the ignition is the issue or what all ready checked everything but the pickup coil inside the disturbutor
fordf250

Postby woodbutcher » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:36 pm

:) Hi FordF250.Sounds like the controll module has croaked,or partially so.A little trick that I learned here,is to use an EXTRA ground wire as the inner fender wells are plastic.
Just run the extra ground from one of the mounting screws for the module to the firewall.Should be good to go.
Good luck.
Leo
Otto von Bismarck
woodbutcher
VIP Member

Postby 1bad6t » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Fordf250, I had a starter solenoid that caused the problems you are having. A lot of people think the solenoid only works the starter but it’s wired to the ignition switch that is wired to the coil. I’m not saying this is your problem…just saying you could be barking up the wrong tree thinking it is a Dura-Spark problem.
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4
1bad6t

Postby The Plankster Prankster » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:37 am

1bad6t wrote:Fordf250, I had a starter solenoid that caused the problems you are having. A lot of people think the solenoid only works the starter but it’s wired to the ignition switch that is wired to the coil. I’m not saying this is your problem…just saying you could be barking up the wrong tree thinking it is a Dura-Spark problem.

if that circuit of the starter solenoid fails, all it will do is fail to power the ignition WHILE STARTING, but cannot interfere with running, as the run circuit is seperated from the start circuit leaving the ignition switch all the way to the module. only possible problem might be if that wire from the solenoid were shorted to a ground. wouldnt hurt to test by pulling that little wire off the solenoid while running, but not something i would expect
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys
The Plankster Prankster

Postby 1bad6t » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 am

The Plankster Prankster wrote:only possible problem might be if that wire from the solenoid were shorted to a ground.

That was the problem, an internal intermittent short. I found the problem when I closed the hood and the engine died. I tapped the solenoid with a screwdriver handle and the engine died again. Replaced the solenoid and life is good.
Jeff in Georgia
'74 Maverick 250/C4
1bad6t

Postby woodbutcher » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:58 pm

:D Outstanding.
Leo
Otto von Bismarck
woodbutcher
VIP Member

Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance