300 6 crate engine/ new to list/ retired mason

The Big Block of inline Ford sixes

Moderator: Mod Squad

300 6 crate engine/ new to list/ retired mason

Postby gruman 300 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm

hello this is my first post. I have a ford 350 gruman bodied van, short wheel base. was a former lift/ boom truck. the 300 engine is very tired, probably from the 6:56 (?)rear axle. i removed the lift, put in a 4:56 rear axle and now have to do something with the engine. My local rebuilder has a Ford crate motor i can get resonably. perhaps this is better than rebuilding mine? my exhaust manifold has a leak where it connects to the intake. can that be fixed or are better exhaust /intake combinations availble?
Lastly (for now) how can i identify the engine as to what year etc.
my chassis is a 1977 with 4 speed trans.
i am mostly concerned with economical, reliable use rather than high performance. perhaps some exhaust work and porting would help?
this is my first ford 6, but have had 292 chevrolets that are comparable?
gruman 300

Re: 300 6 crate engine/ new to list/ retired mason

Postby Lazy JW » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:39 pm

A crate engine with a warranty may be a good plan. Got any pictures?
And WELCOME! to the forum!
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby gruman 300 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks, someone is out there! your truck similar to mine except for the gruman body.
I bought a remanufactured engine from carolina machine engines. got the high torque which is supposed to have a special cam and pistons, some head work. I will know more if they ever send me the specs i asked for.
i need a good manifold (intake) mine is all worn off from exhaust gas escaping where the two meet. dont know if i should mess with building up weld metal and regrinding or buy a new one somewhere? got a new exhaust manifold on e-bay
I also need all the exhaust studs, for connection of manifolds and exhaust pipe studs. If anyone knows where to get them please advise. Would i have any luck at a ford dealer with something that old?
I am going to have to rewire this beast, i bought a cd with all the ford service manuals on it for 1977, hasnt arrived yet. should have wiring diagrams.
i dont know hardly anything about ford, hope i can find some answers for dumb questions here when i get stuck. How many active members does the list have?
good to hear from you J W
gruman 300

Postby woodbutcher » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:49 pm

:) Hi Grumman300.Welcome abord.There are appx 6000 members here at fordsix.
Great bunch of people to work with.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck
woodbutcher
VIP Member

Postby Lazy JW » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:06 pm

gruman 300 wrote:....
i need a good manifold (intake) mine is all worn off from exhaust gas escaping where the two meet. dont know if i should mess with building up weld metal and regrinding ......

So the escaping exhaust gases actually eroded the metal on the intake manifold? It could probably be brazed to fill the gap and then carefully flattened with a grinder and file; if a wrecking yard is nearby it would be easier to just get a replacement.

I'm curious as to the specs on the "high torque" engine :?: :nod:
Joe
74 F-350 300-6, EFI manifolds into single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18B, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. Great farm truck!
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby gruman 300 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:31 pm

hello wood butcher. thanks for the welcome.
as to the specs: i bought the engine and they offered the high torque version for an extra 200$. I said ok i want the best i can get and need the torque. later that day i thought, wonder what i bought? so i asked for some data. didnt get any. asked again, didnt get any. so i called and they thru some data at me about dwell and lift and tossed some cam names around. talked about 3 angle valve grind. i replied doesnt everyone do that now? so i then asked the actual data to be e-mailed to me, havent got anything yet... i have informed them i want to see specs on the cam, a build sheet on the engine. if i dont get that i will cancell order. they are said to be reputable engine builders so i am not saying or implying anything bad. but why is it so hard to get the data? i am going to call again monday. if i dont get results then it's going to be a no build as far as i am concerned.
what do y'all think?
gruman 300

Postby Lazy JW » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:33 am

I think they are charging an extra $200 for nothing; a three angle valve job had better be standard regardless, and surely they would install a new cam even if it were a stock cam, so I truly wonder what is so special about their cam?
Joe
Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Postby woodbutcher » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:40 am

:( Sounds like someone is running a dog and pony show with a lot of "run around".
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck
woodbutcher
VIP Member

Postby 69.5Mav » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:52 pm

gruman 300 wrote:I bought a remanufactured engine from carolina machine engines.

Who did you speak to? I bought a 302 two years ago from "Jimmy" there and I found him knowledgeable and helpful. The engine was fine and has been trouble free for 20K so far. I get the oil analyzed every change and it comes out fine. I got the torq cam, ARP rod and main bolts, static and dynamic balencing and a few other things. I am very happy with it.
69.5Mav

Postby gruman 300 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:56 pm

i spoke to two different salesmen, dont know who jimmy is.
i have decided to take my chances and not cancel. they just dont give out much information. they claim it's a secret? i will let you all know how it works out after i get the engine in and can test run it. we wont be selling this truck either so i have a long time to find out what i bought. if it's no good you will be the first to know. i have been around AAfuel dragsters so am not totaly ignorant. i just want a good engine without the hassle of building one, they seemed like a good outfit.
thanks
gruman 300

Postby chico71 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:26 pm

there is a business in the town i work in called "fastenal". in addition to construction/ industrial tools and supplies, they sell (as you might guess) fasteners. i went in there and was able to order the exact bolts and nuts for part of my son's f-150 project, and will be buying plenty more there. what they don't stock, they can get.

if you can find such a place, you ought to be able to get what you need. i believe they are a national company, and there are probably other competitors out there as well. especially on exhaust, i like to go will all brand new when i tear something down. as cheap as studs and bolts are, i think you're money ahead of the game.
chico71

Postby gruman 300 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:02 pm

thanks chico, i have heard of fastenal. we have a bearing and bolt place here if they dont have it i will check online for fastenal.
On the rebuilt engine, i did cancell it. i had too much doubt. now i will have to see about another firm, but will be more carefull. i have found a used complete engine with 63,000, from a wrecked f350. might do that but have already bought new manifolds and carburettor... oh well.
happy thanksgiving to all 8)
gruman 300

Return to 240-300 "Big Block" Six Performance