It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:42 am

Tow & mud truck engine build 

Post Tow & mud truck engine build
The truck is your typical 1984 F150 4x4 with 300 l6, np435 manual transmission, 3.08 gears with 31x10.5R15 tires.

The goal for this project: (1) Tow a 7'x14' Featherlite aluminum trailer with a Polaris SXS. (2) Mud like nobodies business, the occasional 200' mud bogs.

A lot of people have told me to do a engine swap, but thats no fun. As the last engine I built was a 529cu BBF that mud races in a 1980 F150. I'd like to play with a 300 l6.

Ok, to catch you up to date on the project.
I purchased the truck around a year ago and have since restored the interior, replaced every item in the brake system, replaced all bearings in the driveline, new locking hubs, windshield, tailgate, shocks. I plan to lift the truck 4" but I'd like to get the engine where I want it first.
The engine was in sad shape, the last owner had cut all the wires going to the "feedback" carb and removed parts of the egr system. Needless to say it was running on 3 cylinders and zero power. Unfortunately I just learned about this "feedback" carburetor and tfi ignition. It cranks easy, burns zero oil and drives great, it just doesn't have any power! I have purchased a rebuilt 1980 carburetor and early dual point distributor which I plan to install.

The engine build:
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as cylinder head porters. I've noticed from some post I have read the cylinder heads don't have a whole lot of material for major port work. (if anyone has a old set of aluminum cylinder heads I would be interested in purchasing.) A friend has a Eslinger aluminum cylinder head on his old 300 dirt car engine. (he won't sell)
Does anyone have a cnc program for these cylinder heads? How about billet cylinder heads?
The plan is to convert the engine to electronic fuel injection using the Holley Dominator system and wasted spark coil on plug ignition. I have already spoke with a dampener manufacture about machining the 7-3/4" 60-2 relucter wheel into the dampener. My only road block is making a plug for the distributor yet keeping the oil pump drive. Only thing I can figure is to cut and weld a cap on an old distributor.
I need a good equal flowing intake manifold too.

So with all that said I hope you can help and I appreciate any ideas!

Thanks

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:03 pm
Global Moderator

Post Re: Tow & mud truck engine build
Quote:
My only road block is making a plug for the distributor yet keeping the oil pump drive. Only thing I can figure is to cut and weld a cap on an old distributor.

:hmmm: Take a look at the 5.0 distributor stub from the Explorer's & Mountaineer (2001 to 06 I think) bonus is could be used for signal too (cam position sensor). You might be able to mod or use a combo of the 300 & 5.0 parts together there are likely others too that might work for parts IE 3.8L V6 or? Good Luck on your build :nod:

My fleet of Sixes: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:16 pm

I was wondering if the distributor body would cross reference with any other engine. They said the dampener they have modified for past 300 builds have been for sbf's.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Here is a picture of the last 529 I built. It was built to meet class rules.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Picture of the interior after I restored it
Front of truck
engine compartment right after I purchased the truck

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 pm
VIP Member

viewforum.php?f=5

The first two topics on that page will get you started on porting/head work information.

'83 F150 300, 0.030 over, Offy DP, Holley 4160/1848-1 465 cfm, Comp Cam 260H. P/P head, EFI exhaust manifolds, Walker Y Pipe, Super Cat, Turbo muffler, Recurved DSII, Mallory HyFire 6a, ACCEL Super Stock Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, EFI plugs.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am

Harte3 wrote:
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

The first two topics on that page will get you started on porting/head work information.

The first time I saw the combustion chambers I new they could use a lot of work. The valves are shrouded almost 180 degrees!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 am
Global Moderator

I am thinking that any engine you build to drive on the street and Tow you trailer around isn't going to have the power you want to run in the mud like you want to.
And vice-versa.
What are your compression and rpms you are thinking of running?

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:42 am

80broncoman wrote:
I am thinking that any engine you build to drive on the street and Tow you trailer around isn't going to have the power you want to run in the mud like you want to.
And vice-versa.

I have no hp goal, only requirement is to be fun! No 1,000hp engine,,, those require to much money in driveline! I might upgrade the axles when I do a lift. Just depends!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:55 am
Global Moderator

Josh Jones wrote:
80broncoman wrote:
And vice-versa.

I have no hp goal, only requirement is to be fun! No 1,000hp engine,,, those require to much money in driveline! I might upgrade the axles when I do a lift. Just depends!

Good sounds like you are reasonable on your goals

I have seen more than a few people (much younger than me) mud race stock type 4x4 truck with 300s Mostly EFI 300s.
I always ask them how they are doing. One guy(I'll never forget ) whined that no matter how high he reved it it didn'r make any power. :roll: This one was bone stock. I was as nice as I could be and explaned that the 300 had a torque curve that looked like a diesel torque curve. which is darn near Flat. and that him turning over 3500 was a exercize in just makeing noise. I did tell him some of the ways to make more power however what he wanted was for some one thing or easy to install item OR he said he'd just swap it to some thing else.
Funny thing was he was doing just fine compared to others (Everyone else that) had V8s of all sizes.

Real men don't wear Bowties
When it come to engines If its .001 loose nobody knows, But if its .001 too tight EVERYBODY KNOWS!!
80 bronco FUV (farm utility vehicle)300 T-18 3.50s EFI head, offy C dual plenum, 500 edel carb, 1.7 roller rockers, Crane 260 cam EFI Exh

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:28 am

The diesel torque curve is the exact reason as to what interest me in the 300's. Plus them being tough as nails! I have a couple more BBF laying around I could swap if I wanted to get all serious about it. (racing)

One thing that peaks my interest is how the diesel community is moving towards reducing rotating assembly weight and turn higher rpms. Which they are direct inject engines so there are some aspects of the two besides the obvious differences that you have to take into account.

I mainly want the power of a diesel without the cost of diesel fuel (who would ever thought someone would say that) and hear that turbo whistle! LoL

(Mechanical direct injected alky 300 l6 would be cool! LoL)

And yes, some folks are.... blind to how a engine works. had a kid at the dragstrip come up and ask how fast my car was. I replied it just trapped 96mph in the 1/8. He said, no, on your speedo! As his has 200mph on his I doubt I could beat him.

Last edited by Josh Jones on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:41 am

I'd like to keep the max rpms down pretty low, 4,500. Come into power at 1,000ish.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:49 am
Global Moderator

Nice looking truck and 529 BB! :nod: nice thing is that Ford kept some sizes the same so there are a few parts that swap between the different engine family's to make it a little easier. Some where in the old posts FTF was able to use a set of 429 / 460 roller lifters in one of his race 300's you can use a search to find them. There have been a number different heads adapted to the sixes also with lots of effort, is interesting to read about. Most go with a 240 or 300 carb head. Good luck in the build.

My fleet of Sixes: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:54 am

I got a set of nice Crower SS roller rockers I'm going to see if they will work. I'm sure I can always machine the rocker stud pads to fit. The more BBF parts I can use the better as I have a lot of those parts laying around. I did notice that you might could get away with a solid roller, just take more investigating.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:00 am

Let me ask a cheat question.

I'm looking for a intake manifold that has good air distribution not necessarily fuel as I will have injector bung welded in. Out of the current production run units whats better? I hope I might could pry a nice non production intake out of someones hands if need be!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:17 am
Global Moderator

There are both hydro. and sold roller cams that have been used in the sixes, I have been hoping to score a deal on a used solid roller for my engine build. Harlen Sharp has roller rockers made for the sixes, think Crane also. Have not tried to adapt any others but have lots 351C and BBF parts in my collection. There were only a few different intakes made that might work for you most common are the Clifford and Offy 4V types the Clifford looks like it would flow more though I don't know of any flow test being done on them. there was a Holman Moody 4V even larger ports is a bit rare but sometimes they pop up for sale. Clifford also made some other manifolds for side draft and down draft Webers also a 2 x 4V, I have the last two intakes in my parts collection. There is a old post that shows most all the intakes that were ever made and sold. Then there are some custom intakes too, like FTF runs a 3 x 2V intake. Lots of chooses for intakes if your going for EFI maybe look at the stock lower intake on 87 or 88 up trucks EFI was stock on them so its all ready set up. my stock 94 EFI pulls even better from low RPM than any carbed 300 I had before.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:37 am

IMHO the 80 to 86 trucks were the best looking Ford ever made. Not knocking on the Holley setup but I think an inline really benefits from a SEFI setup to avoid the distribution issues. The 96 models, and some 95s, have the MAF sequential system that should give some room to grow power as compared to the speed density batch fire system.
I always liked my 300 but when I hauled a 4500 lb trailer I loved it because of its torque.
Happy New Year to All
rikard

250 Chrysler Spitfire, 194, 250 Chevy, 223 Ford, 242,258 AMC, 225 Slant 6, 330 REO GC

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:51 am

The Dominator is a sefi setup. I'm probably going to use a single bore throttle body. I looked into the HP Efi but as you stated it is a TBI system, not the best for blow-thru.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Go one direction are the other because you can't have both and with the different directions you have I doubt you can stay in stock class and it gets very hard to compete in super stock are pro stock, the torque on a 300 is great, but you have to have the hp and rpm's to compete in mud racing unless you are in a 6 cylinder class, because you have to have tire spin to clean out your tires, I run in stock class with a 300 that is about as hot as it can be by rules and I keep up with the small blocks and big blocks and with gear changes in the off season and tire changes I hope to place this upcoming year. If you are going to keep up with the v8's be prepared to spend at least 7 to 8 grand on the motor with all the best stuff to spin it to 6500 rpms.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 am

Arnolds head service did my 240 head complete for 1200 dollars, I think flow was 229/176 at ,600 set up for a solid roller cam with over .600 lift, if you go over my history you can find all I put in the motor, v8's hate me.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 am

If you run a solid roller use the harland sharp, they are rated to 900 lbs while the others are rated to 350, almost not enough for even closed pressures.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:12 am

Also going back on your posts, you have an np 435 you are running in a 200 ft pit which is stacked againt you because you cannot shift an np435 in racing in mud, it would be best to run in 100 ft pits since you will have only one gear.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 am

Broncitis wrote:
Also going back on your posts, you have an np 435 you are running in a 200 ft pit which is stacked againt you because you cannot shift an np435 in racing in mud, it would be best to run in 100 ft pits since you will have only one gear.

If you had to force me to justify my build I would say, super hot street, pasture mud bogging, hunting, and driving thru ponds. It's not going to be a race truck as I want to use it to haul my toys around also!
You could forget I ever mentioned the mud bogs but then I would have people telling me I'm being to aggressive on the build. So lets just enjoy the engine build and ignore all the other stuff! :wink:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:41 am

Purchased a Turbonetic t3-t4 hybrid turbo and all the flanges. It's a little on the small side but it will come into power by 1000rpm. 62mm compressor with a t4 p-trim .58 a/r turbine

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:18 pm

I also talked with c-tech performance about cylinder head and I think we might be able to work out a good package. He also mentioned they made billet rods for these engines. If I go with a billet rod I'd like to go with a good piston package but allt hat would be for not if the crankshaft is weak.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 am