It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:47 pm

my gull wing econline install :) (pics) 

Post my gull wing econline install :) (pics)
geez....what a pain in the butt to post pics on this site....anyways, i gave up (and yes ALL my pic were re sized to 590x440)

anyways, here is a link to the post at the ford econoline site..

http://www.ford-econoline.com/forum/vie ... ?p=567#567

Cheers,
Vic

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:46 pm
FSP Moderator

Post Re: my gull wing econline install :) (pics)
Great idea!

Will

'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:13 am
VIP Member

Nice! You going to use one center latch at the bottom, or two (one for each 'door')?

Some gas struts would be nice lift and hold it open.

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 am

I plan on running 2 gas struts and i plan to have just one latch centered at the bottom...the cons, the latch pin will be sticking up out of the floor as you enter and exit. i plan on painting it orange but on sure its going to reach out and grab all 6 of us eventually.

the latch will be popped open with a solenoid from my remote like i have in my doors. if i run 2 latches in the sides i will have to double the the solenoids.

we will see. i havent completely ruled out 2 latches in the sides.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:04 pm
FSP Moderator

At least the two latch concept would get them out of the way of the foot traffic. :thumbup:

Might also help with flexing and noise.
Will

'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 am
VIP Member

the side doors being closed adds a lot to the rigidity of the box....from a structural standpoint, two lower latches would be the thing.
Glad to hear about the gas struts, that thing would kill ya if if it slammed shut at the wrong time.
Neat concept....well executed.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:30 pm
Profile WWW

those are good points. if put the latch on the bottom center it will be harder to install the latch but easier to install the pin as i would make a bracket that that would attach to the existing 3 screw bracket. If i chose 2 in the sides it will be easier to install the latches because there is more room but harder to install the pins because there really isnt much there to mount the pins to...just thin sheet metal.

im going to sleep on it. i probably wont be able to mess with it until monday.

thanks for your input.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:01 pm

What about "bearclaws" on your lower door jambs and install pins on your doors? Oh, but then you need to actuate both bear claws...

Okay, what about relocating the door handle from the rear inside handle, position it running horizontally, similar to old garage doors? Use reinforcing plate just like the stock door latch plates?

Great stuff! Got me thinking!

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:45 pm

well i am going to use the bear claw type latches and i did look at installing the latch on the floor and the striker pin on the door but that would require alot of cutting and chopping up of the van floor which i really dont want to do

as for the handle and running it horizontally....well, im not going to have any handles..inside or out. i do plan to have a small pull type cable on the inside to pop the latch if the solenoid fails but thats it.

thanks again for the input.

Vic

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 am
VIP Member

I'd think some time spent wandering around a wrecking yard looking at door latches would be worthwhile. I'd think you should be able to trip two latches with one solenoid, just need two rods from the mechanism out to the latches.

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:11 pm

i went to the parts store and picked up 2 gas struts. i bought 2 of the larger ones because the door will be heavy at the lifting point of the struts which will be approx 18 inches from the hinges. i wanted to see how much was needed to compress the gas struts and i took every ounce of my 200lbs ass to compress just one of them. so now im thinking that i am going to need some pretty beefy mounting brackets. i dont think the stock 20 ga or so sheet metal will last too long under those forces.

i still havent had much time to look at the hinge setup. i have to pull some panels first to see what the body looks like underneath. I did finish welding in sheet metal to cover the bare spots where the hinges used to be. i also applied some bondo before it all has a chance to rust.

hopefull monday i will be able to really tear into it again and get the latche(s) and struts installed

Vic

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:14 pm

i added some more pics of the gas strut install to the original post if you guys want to check it out.

http://www.ford-econoline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226

Vic

Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:01 pm