ok, want to do this......Magneto

xrwagon

My goal for my next motor is a period race piece, I’m thinking of running a Vertex Magneto, Joe Hunt have quoted me on a new one, i will run a tach drive also, pure Nostalgia reasons, anyone else run a Magneto over the years? Pro’s Con’s

magnetos are cool because if you lose the battery or alternator, it doesnt drain the electrical system as it is self contained. its been a while, but the biggest disadvantage was at low speeds as i recall, but it escapes me right now.

nother minus?
don't U hafta give it a negative charge or something when initially installing?
(may B dat's a generator?)

the magneto's self-powered operation is considered to offer increased reliability; in theory the magneto should continue operation as long as the engine is turning.
Because it requires no battery or other source of electrical energy, the magneto is a compact and reliable self-contained ignition system, which is why it remains in use in many general aviation applications.
As the reliability of battery ignition systems improved, the magneto fell out of favour for general automotive use, but may still be found in sport or racing engines
have had dual-plugged systems with one set of plugs fired by a magneto, and the other set wired to a coil, dynamo, and battery circuit. This was often done to ease engine starting, as larger engines may be too difficult to crank at sufficient speed to operate a magneto, even with an impulse coupling.

All above from Wikipedia
- Good luck let us know how U do...

We run a Vertex Magneto on a vintage class engine.
We had a problem with cross-firing with the solid core plug wires that was supplied with the magneto causing damage to one of the pistons.
Switched to 40 ohm spiral wound wires and solved the problem.

Back