Need Advice for Planning my Project 1964 1/2 I6

just look on the engine - passenger's side, just aft of the down tube of the exhaust. The casting numbers may need to be cleaned to read...

The article you posted said that in 1964 the cars made in the first half of the year were 170ci and the second half on were 200ci, in which mine was assembled was December of 1964 meaning that it would have been a 200ci from the factory.

StevenCCrowder":2qvynsh0 said:
It has 5 freeze plugs as well from having to replace them.

StevenCCrowder":2qvynsh0 said:
The article you posted said that in 1964 the cars made in the first half of the year were 170ci and the second half on were 200ci, in which mine was assembled was December of 1964 meaning that it would have been a 200ci from the factory.

chad":2qvynsh0 said:
just look on the engine - passenger's side, just aft of the down tube of the exhaust. The casting numbers may need to be cleaned to read...
would B a positive ID rather than trust 40 yrs of undisturbed automotive history…don't U wanna 'make it ur own', might others have also? or a blown motor, etc…
might ck the casting on the head 2 C originality, f/u w/da carb...
/OR/
this all may just B revealing more about me. I'd go thru these'n other steps at the early stages (or did anyway). I found out some strange things about my rig in 1983. Some still puzzle me till this day. But again, enuff about me!

Have fun, B safe AND productive.

Yes that is very true and I will start finding out soon enough as I begin tearing it apart and replacing just about everything under the hood. For instance, I found a towel inside the door underneath the driver side window crank for some reason after I removed the door panel to replace the lock mechanism. :(

If your car was built after the end of August it is not a 64.5 car ( again not a term FORD ever used ) as its a December build the 200 would be correct , So although its NOT a early production Mustang , your Better off IMHO

FalconSedanDelivery":103q1ds4 said:
If your car was built after the end of August it is not a 64.5 car ( again not a term FORD ever used ) as its a December build the 200 would be correct , So although its NOT a early production Mustang , your Better off IMHO

Hummm, they didn't offer both the 170 & 200 at that time?

StevenCCrowder":yxy7sf66 said:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-disc-brake-conversion-kit-5-lug-6-cylinder-1965-1966/p/DBC64665/
This is what I plan to convert from front to 5 lug since I am assuming the I6 spindles should be enough to handle the load. Just have to find an 8" rear end. I appreciate everyone's insight and advice as it is very helpful!

Check out Scarebird Classic Brakes online. They make a kit to convert to front disc that uses mostly parts sources at the local parts store, like rotors, calipers, hoses and pads. This will make it easier for future replacement items needed down the road was my thinking. I did the conversion on my 66' and its probably the best upgrade I've done so far. It was cheaper than the CJ's kit also, I want to say around 400.00 total and an easy install. scarebird.com

Back