Oil leaking from the dipstick tube on newly rebuilt 200 engi

Lt_Bongwater

Hi folks,

First of all, I got my baby running again a couple of months ago, thanks to the great advice I got from this forum. I am facing another problem, and I`m wondering if you can share your thoughts on the issue.

Oil is leaking from the dipstick tube, it`s not yet very clear to me how that happens, but I suspect it shoots up the tube, especially at high engine revs. The engine is fully rebuilt, so I shouldn`t have a compression problem. Any thoughts and advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Here`s my beauty :)

:beer: Congrats she's a real beauty! Are you running a PCV system? Good luck :nod:

I`m running a closed PCV system, and the breather cap is brand new. I`ll check the port on the valve cover tomorrow, but I doubt it`s clogged. Maybe the hoses?

OK good, and if all the PCV system parts check out as working correctly. Next how is the fit of the dipstip to the tube is it a loose or snug fit? if its a bit loose you can use a tappered drift punch to lightly pound in and flare the end slightly to tighten it up a little. Good luck :nod:

I had the same issue after my build. Decided to run a valve cover breather (open) and had the oil leaking from the dipstick tube as well. Went back to running a traditional PCV and hose connection and it went away.

Make sure the PCV system is actually drawing a vacuum. I once installed a carb gasket backwards and blocked the vacuum port that went to the PCV. It pumped oil out the dipstick for a month before I figured it out.

-Stu

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I checked today the PCV systems, and it appears to be working normally, it is drawing vacuum. One issue I noticed though, the oil cap that I installed does not have a built in breather like the old one (2 tiny holes on the bottom), only the passage to attach the hose that goes to the air cleaner. This shouldn`t affect the passage as the systems draws vacuum, but maybe I`m missing something, I believe I got this one:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake- ... 70/p/OC14/

I am also running a Holey 1940 service replacement carb, not the original Autolite, this was equipped on the car when I got it. can this be an issue? Some pictures below

Last but not least, I`m thinking that maybe the dipstick I have is not from a mustang, and I actually have too much oil in the pan. Do you guys know what should be the standard length of the stick?

Thanks in advance,

Cristian

The Oil Fill / Breather Cap is the right one to use as long as its hose is connected to the Air Cleaner housing. I have used those 1940 Holley’s on numerous engines with good results yours looks like it could stand a good cleaning and maybe a rebuild kit though. Be sure to also check that the throttle shaft doesn’t have a lot of slop. Picktures of a 200 Dipstick added below Good luck :nod:

Ford 200 Dipstick
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/ ... uofd5f.jpg

Ford 200 Dipstick Length
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/ ... btpj9t.jpg

ReEdited

bubba22349":2i5r3v7t said:
The Oil Fill / Breather Cap is the right one to use as long as its hose is connected to the Air Cleaner housing. I have used those 1940 Holley’s on numerous engines with good results yours looks like it could stand a good cleaning and maybe a rebuild kit though. Be sure to also check that the throttle shaft doesn’t have a lot of slop. Picktures of a 200 Dipstick added below Good luck :nod:

Thanks! Can you post the picture once again, It didn`t publish for some reason :).

P.S.: the pictures of the carb are old, from when I took it off :). I cleaned it and rebuilt it using a kit from Mike Carburetor parts, here it is installed. I`m also including a picture with the engine right before putting it back in, does the length of the dipstick tube look right to you?

Thanks!

Ok I ReEdited my above post to add the pict's. :shock: :rolflmao: LOL you where just to fast for me, it took me alot longer then I though it would to be able to find and post the pictures of the dipstick length. :beer: Carb looks great now. Yes your dipstick tube looks right (y) . Good luck :nod:

**UPDATE**
My diptube sticks out 3" from the block.
My dipstick is 12" from the 'stop' below the handle to the oily end... 65 200CID block. - Just like bubba's pics show.
**END**

Great looking car and engine!

The length of your tube looks about right. I can measure mine and my dipstick when I get home. I like to think my dipstick is in the way of the DUI... :D

Do you recall how many quarts you put in there? Also, are you running the extended oil filter? I want to say it's 5 with the extended, a little less without. In practical terms, the oil level should be lower than the oil pan gasket. Could the oil be coming out at the distributor hole?

Just another random cry wolf thought... Are you getting oil up through your rocker shaft? The #11 headbolt is tapered to allow oil through. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15621&p=109655

1966Mustang":3p5ym6pl said:
**UPDATE**
My diptube sticks out 3" from the block.
My dipstick is 12" from the 'stop' below the handle to the oily end... 65 200CID block. - Just like bubba's pics show.
**END**

Great looking car and engine!

The length of your tube looks about right. I can measure mine and my dipstick when I get home. I like to think my dipstick is in the way of the DUI... :D

Do you recall how many quarts you put in there? Also, are you running the extended oil filter? I want to say it's 5 with the extended, a little less without. In practical terms, the oil level should be lower than the oil pan gasket. Could the oil be coming out at the distributor hole?

Just another random cry wolf thought... Are you getting oil up through your rocker shaft? The #11 headbolt is tapered to allow oil through. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15621&p=109655

Thanks a lot, this does help! I don`t remember how much oil I put in, but I`m doing an oil change tomorrow and I will measure how much is in the engine right now. And on the second point, yes I do get oil up to the rocker arm, I checked before installing :) I`lll check the distributor, good point, I only thought about the dipstick :)

Hi guys, I can`t seem to get to the bottom of this :(

I did an oil change this weekend and used Valvoline 15W40 Mineral this time as I had my doubts on the type of oil as well (I opened a separate thread for this matter: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73951)

After pouring 4 litres of oil (4,2 quarts) the oil level was already above the maximum on the dipstick, and I know it should take 4,5 quarts to the middle, with the filter installed. I have the correct dipstick apparently (I checked based on the information you provided); I have used a similar filter to the FL1A (same dimensions and volume, but not the exact model). I am now thinking that maybe the oil pan that I have might be smaller somehow, although it looks like it should based on my research. Any thoughts?

It gets weirder, I drove about 200 miles and although it appears that some of the leaking stopped, It still squirts oil at high revs (above 60 mph); after driving this much, the oil level dropped to just below the maximum line on the dipstick, and I can`t tell if I lost the oil or I burned it. The engine has about 1700 miles after I rebuilt it.

Any thoughts/advice?

I just read the first couple posts to see if you found the solution.And i see not so my advice is do a compression check i have a hunch theres a problem with the rings.either broke or not installed properly.If you eliminate all the possibilities it only leaves the impossible.

Back