Going from manual autolite 1100 to automatic

MalcolmA

Hi,

I'm looking to get a rebuilt carburetor, so that I can take out my stock 1100 and have a go at rebuilding it myself. I have a 200ci 65 3-speed. The current carb has a manual choke and I was wondering what is involved in switching to an electric choke?

Thanks

:unsure: First you would need to find all the Autolite Auto Choke parts new or from a carb core. This would be the Choke housing, linkages and the Choke Cover. Since the Autolite never came with an Electric Choke then you would need to see if there is an Electric Coke Cover that will fit the Auto Choke housing from a later model carb. Maybe from a Motorcraft or Holley carb might be able to be adapted. Good luck :nod:

Thanks! It turns out I'm a complete idiot and the sticker on my carb reads "Rebuilt by Holley". No idea where I got the autolite 1100 thing from, but I was so convinced I had one.

If you can post a picture we can help you ID it, by the way Holley rebuilds many makes and models of carbs

Here's what I have:

OQA54AD.png

That's the Holley 1940 carb it was sold by Ford as a replacement for the Autolite 1100 & 1101. From your picture I can't really see the back side enough to tell, but it was or still is an auto choke model I.E. It has the choke housing and at least some of the linkage. Good luck :nod:

Edited

the "tube w/the fuzzy cloth" (in da pic) brings up the heat from the exhaust mani. to adj the 'butterfly'
in the carb throat as it goes from cold to hot ( competed in about 7 min). There R 'steps'
or 'fingers' on the throttle linkage. I believe ur vehicle (when in good tune) starts by one
tap (no pump/no hold down) on the gas peddle B 4 turning on the key. U can see where
the linkage is on those 'steps" for dx problem starting.

"Choke housing, linkages and the Choke Cover."
Ele comes from the stator lug on the back of the alternator (due to it's very low power).
Inside the blk cap is a bimetal coil - it needs a heat source like the above tube - & just like a home
thermostat it expands (to adj the 'butterfly). When converting mine I put in a lill inline fuse just incase.

some auto choke carbs had 'hot water chokes' ! (sourced from engine coolant)

Keep talkin...

I was going to ask in a separate thread about starting it, and whether I need the choke and if I needed to pump the gas. What's the difference between a tap and a pump? I've been pressing down the gas twice before starting.

I live in California, and someone said I shouldn't need the manual choke control at all since there's no worry about the cold.

an engine is a block'a metal and in LA or Hawaii still "cold". I think - others more informed will help out here, that a modicum (it's incremental not just on/off) is needed everywhere. Not similar to my neck of the woods (NE USA) a full on use, slowly tapering to 'Off' in that 7 min. or so on cooler days (or longer on cold days).

Try lookin under the hood to the carb linkage up on the carb. Do U see the "stairs" I mentioned? A lill plate of metal w/steps on it? When U tap to the "floor boards" (not hold) or pump once/let up - the linkages jumps up on a higher step. We usta pump (if U will) once more to get it offa the step'n disengage the choke. I don't do this anymore as I'm not in the rush of my younger yrs and wish for optimal MPGs'n performance.
:cool:

If U R 'pumping', 'feathering' or some other process there can B because of a plethora of other issues…mine had dried up ol gaskets and the bowl leaked gas out when sitting so I hadda fill that/get the float up to level to get a gas squirt inta the throat to start.

:unsure: Your Holley 1940 has the complete Auto Choke assembly! Have you checked if it's working correctly? They work great when set up correctly, I would just use it instead of trying to convert it over to an electric type there would just be no advantage if you have a good working Auto Choke. Good luck :nod:

MalcolmA":16ozwq1e said:
I'm not really sure what to check for, I'm new to this and she's running well.

my suggestion is find a good rebuild kit and directions (sometimes in the box) and 'play around" (rebuild it).
Since it runs alright U may not wish to do that till in runs poorly.

Alternatively, get a junk one that is an upgrade to this for your rig and rebuild that. Use it 2 replace thisun.
:unsure::

I was looking around for a junk 1940, but all I can find are ones that are already rebuilt. What would be an upgrade to this that I could look for to rebuild instead? Thanks!

Back