Holley 350 Carb Clearance Issues

6ponies

I got my carb installed last night. I was anxious because of concerns with clearance. It turns out I was right. The hood is compressing the air cleaner when fully closed. Additionally, the throttle linkages hit the shock tower. I thought I remembered reading an article about having to turn the Holley carb 90 deg but that caused problems as well because the secondary linkage was impacting the intake manifold.

I am using the the CI aluminum head, intake and carb adapter. I'm also using the 65/66 engine mounts (The only ones I could find. I figured it'd be okay as I thought it would lower the engine). I'm going to try to post pictures but I was having trouble last time. Any advice? I'm particularly interested in hearing from 65coupei6 as I read that he bolted his right on.

I did read a tech article on trimming the air cleaner flange but I don't think it will gain me enough clearance at the hood.

What air cleaner are you trying to use? Spectre makes a low profile carb hat. Only 2.5" tall.

cr_bobcat":i6dvhmtn said:
What air cleaner are you trying to use? Spectre makes a low profile carb hat. Only 2.5" tall.

I'm using the Spectre 9"x2" (47708). The overall height is about 2.75 in.

@turbo2256b
Can you clarify what you did?

Might want to talk to coupeboy. He fab'd up some mounts that would allow you to lower engine. Otherwise you'll need the frame mounts from a Maverick (not the rubber motor mounts but the frame bracket pieces)

So the Maverick frame brackets will work with the Mustang frame and rubber insulators?

What about the issues I'm having with the linkages hitting either the shock tower or the intake manifold?

That I'm not sure on. You might try zooming in on the pics on CI's website. Somebody has to have been here before

"...need the frame mounts from a Maverick,,,"
2 X that
plus U may need to "slot" them.
There's bout 6 mods that can B done for increased hood clearance. PM for them all
(gotta go to my archive).

Back