Ignition help

John_mcgarvie

Ok 1967 mustang 200cc autolite 1100,loadomatic dis with electronic ignition. New.wires,plugs,cap,button,coil,head, carb. Symptoms has a miss on idle.has a little puf of smoke when it misses. Also i have a vibration while driving when slow you feel it like every couple seconds but it gets closer and closer the faster i get. Im thinking either ignition switch, solenoid,or a resistor maybe grounding Can anyone tell me what and how to check it
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums...tang 200 6cyl/20160124_180918_zpsvnfiir3y.jpg

What your describing sounds more like unequal compression between some of the cylinders (more then 10% difference from lowest to highest). Have you done a compression test yet with your new rebuilt head installed? Did you check over or rebuild the short block also? As for all the other things that your asking about the best way to check them is with a Volt / Ohm meter to measure the resistance and voltage readings starting with your battery voltage. As well as resistance of the battery cables, and starter cables. It's also a good idea to first clean all those grounds and all the electrical connections from your battery posts themselves and all the way back. Solenoids usually work until they are so worn out they quit you can sometimes hear them when they are really bad though they are fairly cheap to just replace. An ignistion switch can cause trouble if it's really worn you can somtimes feel that they are getting really loose or sloppy if you can move the key back towards the off position very much before it actually turns off there's a good chance it's not in the best shape any more, but they are also fairly reasonable to replace with a new one. Good luck in the quest :nod:

:unsure: Hi JackFish, from his pictures I am guessing that he probably has like a Pertroix unit in the stock distributor rather then a DSII. :nod:

Looks by your vacuum reading that you have a weak cylinder with quite a bit lower compression then the others. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":21eahmci said:
Looks by your vacuum reading that you have a weak cylinder with quite a bit lower compression then the others. Good luck :nod:

Ok tomorrow a compression check but they were 110 120 before the valve job

John, hook up a timing light, if the spark is jumping around replace the pertronix unit with the more reliable pertronix I unit.
The other pertronix units are prone to this condition.

I will hopefully have a video to upload tomorrow.
But my problem is this. I have a miss on the number 6 cylinder. I swapped 5 and 6 wires and plug but the miss is still on number 6. I adjusted the pertronix to the closest setting and re adjusted timing. The vacuum gauge is now reading at a slow back and forth in 18 but that number 6 .

Back