Dropping in a 200

adamscm

In my continuing saga of putting a 200 in my 62 Comet, the motor is now in and I'm hooking up everything. Oh no! I rotate the generator up to meet the bracket, and it hits the timing cover before it gets there! Crap...looks like the timing cover is made for an engine that is alternator equipped. I have an alternator bracket, so I guess I'm converting...What else do I need...a different voltage regulator? Anything else?

Installing a one wire alternator ( it has an internal voltage regulator) makes the swap much easier. I did this on an old Willys CJ2A jeep, never had a problem...
DannyG

Thanks Guys, What happens to the 3 wires that now are going to the generator? (On a one-wire conversion). I Just looked at the site you mentioned--very good. The only difference Is that I have the jumbo bracket that holds an a/c compressor on top. Guess I can use it as a display shelf, or location for my horn, since the bracket extends into the area where the horn is now!

adamscm":3e69tglr said:
Thanks Guys, What happens to the 3 wires that now are going to the generator? (On a one-wire conversion). I Just looked at the site you mentioned--very good. The only difference Is that I have the jumbo bracket that holds an a/c compressor on top. Guess I can use it as a display shelf, or location for my horn, since the bracket extends into the area where the horn is now!
The wires that went straight from the generator to the voltage regulator can be removed. Then there should be the main wire that feeds the harness, the B post on the generator voltage regulator. That one should be able to be connected to the new alternator output. So you'd have the 1 alternator output going to the battery side of the solenoid, and then that wire that feeds the harness on the same battery side of the solenoid.

Ok, Thanks....So you are saying of the 3 wires attached to the generator, just attach the main wire (the large one, B post) to the alternator, and just disregard the other two--- no need to remove the old voltage regulator at that point?

adamscm":2mdyb629 said:
Ok, Thanks....So you are saying of the 3 wires attached to the generator, just attach the main wire (the large one, B post) to the alternator, and just disregard the other two--- no need to remove the old voltage regulator at that point?
1wirehookup_zpsymgwalfi.png

Should be something like this. You can disregard the other wires.
You'll want to run probably a 10 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery side of the solenoid, then just connect the main wire there as well. That way you're not trying to charge through your harness wire.
Some 1 wire alternators have a plug for the indicator light, you can run your original indicator wire to there. Should be a small yellow one I think.

Here's the "new" 200 installed in the '62. Still a few things to complete obviously, generator, battery, connect exhaust, and fix my clutch problem (noted elsewhere on this forum!). Can't wait to fire up this powerhouse and see if my home-garage rebuild actually runs! The yellow valve cover and air cleaner are correct for a 62 Mercury 144.

Gettin there, gettin there! Not long now…
I like that red on white uph/paint.

Nothing else on the motor gets painted?

Yes, block is black. The old 144 ran great, and I hate to change the originality, but I was tired of being passed by SmartCars. So the 200 will be my "stealth" 144.

That is a real beauty!

Can't wait to do the swap to my 63, I need to source an engine soon. Did you keep the factory tranny? Did it require anything special or did it bolt right up?

I wanted to see if I could do a swap to a c-4 or something to give it a bit more go since I have the factory 2-speed and a 0-60 time of "eventually".

Well, basically it bolts up. A good resource is the Falcon Six Performance Handbook. Little challenges here and there, like the timing cover on the 200 won't allow me to get the old generator back on, so I'll either take the cover off the 144 or convert to an alternator. I have the same 3-speed, which bolts up, but having a bit of a clutch issue at the moment that I've posted about elsewhere.

That is a great Comet. Compared to a 144 your gonna feel some good performance and no one will suspect anything by looking under the hood.

bmbm40":3av70xyd said:
That is a great Comet. Compared to a 144 your gonna feel some good performance and no one will suspect anything by looking under the hood.
light body, no? think ur right!I
thought it wuz a 200 not 250?

Update: Last night, I reconnected the exhaust, using a "flexible" pipe and clamps from the auto parts store. This is temporary just to get it to the muffler shop, but will allow me to fire it up without busting eardrums. I also jacked up the car, ready to remove the transmission this weekend, and figure that thing out for once and for all (hopefully!)

Back