['62 Ranchero 250] Cooling system overhaul

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Ford Six Fans,

With summer approaching quickly and traffic worse than ever in Houston (thanks to the flooding from last week's storms), I'm working on upgrading my cooling system.

Previously, the 14" flex fan I installed when I first fired the engine would strike the lower radiator tank, so I had to trim an inch off of the blades, effectively making it a 12" flex fan. Installed an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator, but because of the valence a 9" electric fan was the largest I could fit.

Taking the lessons from the previous radiator, I had another custom radiator made. The new custom radiator uses shallower top and bottom headers and tanks (2 3/8" in depth); the outlet, trans cooler fittings and drain are moved outboard to create more clearance for a larger mechanical fan. Altogether, this should allow me to run a 15" flex fan:

While the radiator was out, I cut away some of the valence to make room for a larger 12" electric pusher fan, then cleaned and painted the front of the core support:

I should get the new custom radiator back this week, perhaps even tomorrow. After painting, it will be ready to go in. I'll report my results.

Thanks,
Bob

WoW lookit dat radiator, all cooper too.
How does it compare in size to the oe?
Is it 2 or 3 row?

@chad,

Which OE? The only engine options for a '62 Ranchero were 144 ci and 170 ci, both of which used two core radiators.

The new radiator is three core, 2" core, like a '63 V-8 radiator, but taller. The top tank barely protrudes over the top of the core support - if it was any higher or taller the hood would hit the filler cap - and the bottom of the bottom tank is about even with the center of harmonic balancer bolt. If it was any lower it would be in danger from road hazards.

Thanks
Bob

"…three core, 2" core, like a '63 V-8 radiator, but taller…"
Niieyesss!

Back