1.65 RAU Installation on Stock Setup

cr_bobcat

Famous Member
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
So I'll be slowly getting this setup into the car as it is today, which is stock, as far as I know. Ignore the HEI, I'm talking about the block and head itself. :D

So far, I've really just managed to remove the Monte Carlo bar and take out the valve cover. I snapped some pictures of the non-adjustable rocker setup for posterity. I was pleasantly pleased with how the gear looked. I don't see any goo or caking or anything like that. Not too shabby. This engine hasn't really been touched since the early 90's. I bought the car in '93 and the last rebuild was done before I purchased it.

One thing I did note was that all of the umbrella seals were lifted off and were just riding along on the valves. Not surprising. I also did note that I was able to easily spin most of the pushrods. I'll take this to mean that it's been running too loose. I think just switching to adjustable rockers alone would make this ole girl purr a little better.

A couple of the pushrods appear bright and shiny in a couple of spots, but I can't guarantee that isn't because I managed to get some neverseize on them or something back in high school. You'll see what I mean in the pics.

Unless anyone sees some reason why I shouldn't commence, I'll start pulling the old ones tonight and then check the pushrods for straightness.

20160510_055056_zpslhcqhjyk.jpg

20160510_055045_zpsr2bua0xq.jpg

20160510_055040_zpsypiee0j1.jpg

20160510_055032_zpsivgsgnpk.jpg

20160510_055025_zpstri9ph7a.jpg

20160510_055018_zpsllyhb6pg.jpg

20160510_055009_zpsvshrhe10.jpg

20160510_054959_zpsxtoh33wr.jpg

Now, one thing I do need some expert advice is on the #1 rocker pedestal. I know it's been talked about in a couple other places, but I have the option of using either the bleed down or the "closed system" pedestal. I took a close shot there at #1 to try to figure out where that bleed down was supposed to occur, but I don't see any lubrication channels. Does that mean I really don't need that bleeding pedestal? Should I swap it for the other one? RAU provided both with my setup so I can go either route.

Thanks for all the help in advance! :beer:

I went through the agony of trying to figure out the bleeding pedestal question. I still don't have resolution, but I did conclude that: Earlier cars had them, later ones didn't. It seemed to change around the time Ford went to non-adjustable rockers and hydraulic lifters. The original intent was to let extra oil drip down through the first 2 pushrod holes, then through another passage to lube the distributor gear. I can only surmise that when the oiling system was changed for hydraulic lifters, it was not needed anymore. I left my old pedestal on in the off chance it would help lubrication. As long as you see oil getting to all the rockers and pushrods, and have good oil pressure, it probably doesn't matter much. RAU will tell you to use what was called for on your year model. *******By the way, I think the Ford umbrella seals are meant to ride on the valve...they don't connect to the head like I've seen a few times, like on foreign cars. They basically touch the head when the valve is open, but ride it up when it is closed. The valve doesn't slide through it.

Good to know on the umbrellas. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad or just how it was. It was an observation so I figured I'd just throw that out there :)

I've been following this thread http://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74752&p=575556&hilit=pedestal#p575556 in the hopes that someone will eventually have a definitive yes or no based upon casting number. Seems like we have another tech article in the making once some kind of resolution can be reached! :D

My RAU set came with both option stands as well. I am going to drill out the rocker's valve side oil holes to 1/8" as described in the Falcon handbook and not going to use the bleed stand. I figure more oil from the rockers will increase the oil draining back and omitting the bleed stand will keep the oil pressure up somewhat.

Man. Install was super easy. I just followed the instructions from the CI tech article. The entire install took me 2 hours but I've never installed rockers before so I had some learning to do in the process. I took the old girl around the block and my butt could tell a difference. I think she sounds better too. She's kind of pinched right now with the 1940 carb and stock exhaust. Once I vet my new head with the 2bbl installed I think I'm gonna to love it.

Pictures to be posted later today! :beer:

That's good to hear. I'm about to put adjustables back on mine. I hope it goes as well. Any issues with adjusting them?

Still wonderin if U got a side shot of 1 of those RAU rockers…
Saw all the others -
8- )
BTW: thanks for postin all ur progress/developments !

There should be a side shot in there somewhere. I think I took about 25 pics through the whole install. Everything lined up spot on with the exception of the intake on #1. I may have to take a little off of that front pedestal. I'll know more when I pop the valvecover off to do final adjustment.

Geeze, I think I looked at 2 seperate albums specifically searchin for that.
Will go back, thanks again for all your documenting/sharing.
Good Luck w/the wrap-up!

So I noticed some smoking while the engine was running. Did some research and learned this meant that I had the lash set too tight. So I popped the cover off and tried to adjust with the engine running. After I killed the engine twice, i resorted to doing just the intake on #1. I backed it out 3 full turns and started the engine. It ran fine. I continued with 1/4 turn increments to find where I got tapping, then tightened down half a turn, then go start the engine back up. Wash rinse repeat...

No more smoking and the idle seems to be smoother. I checked my manifold vacuum once this was all done. It measured right at 19.5". Does this sound right?

I'll probably take it for a drive tomorrow if this is good to go. I'm home alone watching the kids so can't really take it out today.

Oh, and I installed that new adjustable PCV valve. It is very evident when the secondary circuit kicks in. Holy smokes!

Back