144 Freshen Up

adamscm

Here are a couple of pics of my 144 on the stand. The head is off for rebuild. It will get a new water pump, timing set, and gaskets. Look at those cute, tiny cylinders!

lotta 'meat' there -

bore em out to the 200?
put in a 250 crank?
200 timing set (double chain)?
Oz 2V head?
170 adj rockers?
I don't know bout these things but I can think big (even if impossible).
:shock:
:nono:

Well, I've already got my "hot rod" 200 in the car, just want to have this as an original "numbers matching" engine. You wouldn't want to hop up a 4-main 144 anyway. This thing was so original that it still had the original Ford thermostat in it (which was working fine, and looks much more heavy duty than the new ones).

anything U did would B internal - only U would know, etc, etc.
But I get yer point, "different strokes…"
(Black w/the brass 'plugs" looks good on powerband's. I'd throw
on some red accents).

Thanks for all the postin's along the way !
Have fun, stay safe AND be productive !

Well, I got news on the head today. The shop will be drilling out the guides and installing oversize valves, milling, and pulling the exhaust bolts. On this "original" engine, the only visible change will be the later-style exhaust manifold. Not only will it breathe better, but I've found it nearly impossible to find the old style WITH the hot air choke tube hole (only on Comets, not Falcons). If anyone knows of a good one around, let me know, but most end up broken anyway. Mine had two bolt ears cracked off, and it was pampered most of its life.

after mrkt hot air tube is avail in the Help section at the big box prts stores. Even has the lil asbestos sox w/it. U can drill the hole w/hardened drill, cutting fluid, slo speed. Or put the other exh mani on - it'll fit.

Well, Here's what's going on with the 144...got the head back, and began to reassemble. Call me crazy for thinking about putting this back in, but it's the original motor, 38k original miles...not to mention I'm having trouble getting this 200 to smooth out and stop making unnatural noises (posted elsewhere...the only thing I didn't rebuild on it was the bottom end and rings, and that's probably the problem!)

gunna be niiiccccsse !

Back