170 year

Yes and no it might but to know for sure you need to also find out the blocks date code. Look for what looks like a small tag with a screw head on each end it will have a number a letter and one or two more numbers with that info you can know the exact day the block was cast at the Ford foundry example of a date code is 1B23 this together with your Design Code of C1DE-6015-A decodes as

C= decade of design = 1960
1= plus 1 with above = 1961
D= the model line = Falcon
E= Engineering Department = Engine
6015= is Fords number for an Engine Cylinder Block
A= denotes a Design Change = Original Design

all together with the example date code it decodes as the cylinder block being cast on Thursday February 23, 1961 and that was a very good day LOL. Good luck :nod:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it should mean it's a 1961 casting (C1). Sometimes a casting went into future years if not changed, but I don't think so in this case. I also thought I read somewhere that the early blocks did not have a tag attached (my 62 does not).

it's not an actual 'tag' w/actual screws but a stamped-into-hot-metal thing.
Depends on where U look.
If U want the 'block casting #' look back of (toward passenger) the down tube of the exhaust on the block. May need a cleaning 2 C. The head and other prts may be exchanged after all these yrs & have other numbers that can throw U off.

I should ask: "What are you attempting to do/ask?" because I'm not sure what U need. R U trying to determine the age? get replacement parts?

WELCOME to the forum and site !
Enjoy your stay, no matter how short or long.

Unfortunately with a C1 block you've most likely got the 1/4" oil pump drive, that's how my 170 is. Kind of marry's you to the darn LoM system. I think is a work around, not sure what all it entales or if it's worth the effort.

"…6015A…"
isn't that a head number?
not a block?

:shock: 6015 is Ford's generic code number for a cylinder block (see the second above post). A is the revision code / or would tell you how many times the part has been redesigned A = Design change (A is the original design, no revisions) examples of a Design change are B, C, D, etc. . :nod:

"…6015= is Fords number for an Engine Cylinder Block…"
missed it (once, not again bubs).
Tanks (w/o guns)!

Jeesh - even missed this one "Does this casting on my 170 block denote…"

Go fer a second post Gene C?
Did U get what U need?

:unsure: Hasn't been back since he posted his original question maybe he will be back though. :nod:

That's the EXACT code on my block...Mine is an original 144 from a 62 Comet! I guess the block casting was the same, since a 170 was merely stroked.

They can be hard to tell apart. The 170 will have a "T" in a circle stamped in the flat spot of the block top near the water pump intake spout. I had to hit that spot with brakleen and a rag to to find it. I thought I had a 144 b/c the van originally came with one and the motor had a blue valve cover.

Econoline":3oovagh0 said:
Unfortunately with a C1 block you've most likely got the 1/4" oil pump drive, that's how my 170 is. Kind of marry's you to the darn LoM system. I think is a work around, not sure what all it entales or if it's worth the effort.
Yeah, what can B done to up grade? Are the parts adapted or do folks machine the engine to accept the upgrades (modern/peppy dizzy, carb, oil pump, etc)?
I C a coupla guys making efi trigers etc but don't mean that, chuckin dizzys… Just wondering bout the 1st generation…

Hummm - it hard to even pose the question because of EXTENT of modification….

Back