Manifold Question

adamscm

Hello All, I'm sure this has been discussed before--maybe someone can point me in the right direction--I know the difference between an early (144/170) exhaust manifold and the newer style with doughnut gasket...however, I've purchased one that is listed for a "64-67" 200, and it is listed as a 1 3/4 opening. I know some had 2-inch openings--when did that start? Even if mine is 1-3/4, does it still have more interior volume than the early style?

I think the 2" started in 69 with the 250. Not sure about the tract volume of that one, where did you get it? What's the casting code if it's OEM?

Howdy Back Adam:

All research and first hand experiences we've had indicates that all exhaust manifolds after the change in sealing style have the same 2" outlet. That said it is nearly impossible to use words like "Always" and "Never" with FoMoCo of that era.

Questions- Did you measure the outlet on the manifold you purchased? Does it have FoMoCo casting code?

My guess is that if it does have a 1 3/4" outlet it will have the interior volume of the pre-'63 manifolds.

Hummm, very interesting. More information, please.

Adios, David

The manifold has a C3 code, but also says 1964 on the left end. It is an aftermarket I got from a Mustang site. I took it down to get the exhaust done yesterday, and it does turn out to be a 1 3/4 opening. So after the first bend in the header pipe, I had them widen the rest of the pipe to 2 inches to the muffler. It is the newer style with donut gasket, however.

Back