rod oil holes and boost...

sthorvictor

having a bit of a dilemma, debating whether or not to re bush the small end of the rod to fit some different slugs, and get the rod bolts changed, and also getting the big end resized and run some forged slugs. or, seeing as the crank needs be sent for a grind anyways. maybe go a head and swap out the old rods for some eagle h beam rods?

the only reason that has kept me from leaping at this. (more than likely cheaper to buy the rods than rebuild/mod the old ones) is due to the oil holes spraying the undersides of the pistons and cam... im thinking now that they are probably one of the biggest reasons i haven't completely grenaded the current setup with the hypers doing stupid things :roll: .... im still in the planning stages of the new build, i just stripped my second block down. have allot of scribbles on paper trying to bench build a combo per say, hoping to have something put together this winter.

wondering if anyone has any light, or different angles to shed on my thoughts? maybe im worrying too much about something that is trivial, thanks again

Presently working on a turbo build using the Eagle H beams and forged pistons.
Looking at having the piston tops ceramic coated to keep them cool.

Summit will ship six rods for $420.
They will need to activate the single rod stock number in their system first.
You can also buy a set of 8 rods for just a little more.
Don't forget, only one side of the big end bore is chamfered for V8 application so you will need to chamfer the other side so both sides have clearance for the crank rod journal radius.

called the machine shop up, by the time i get the eagle rods chamfered on the opposite side its still cheaper to modify the oe rods to change the pin size and keep the oil squirters, still have yet to get a hold of a piston manufacture to see what 6 custom slugs will cost to forge (may still be cheaper than slapping some random forgers in, and modding the pin journal of the rods), flat land racing i see used to have forged pieces, not sure if they are still available? im in half a mind just to buy a new set of hypers for the second block and call it a day.. this one has a bit of blow by but is still trooping along with the original 356000km slugs.

pmuller9 are you planning on coating those slugs yourself or shipping them off?

We've used Calico coatings out of Denver, North Caroline before and will probably use them again.

There are two types of custom forged pistons available, 4032 alloy (Eutectic) and 2618 with very little silicon content.
The 4032 alloy is OK for mild turbo use.

Autotec/Racetec will make a set of six 4032 alloy pistons for around $450 and 2618 alloy for $663

Venolia will make set of 2618 for $650.

That includes wrist pins and pin fit.

I've used Autotec for a set of 4032 alloy pistons in a N/A 300 project.

pmuller9":395fn852 said:
We've used Calico coatings out of Denver, North Caroline before and will probably use them again.

There are two types of custom forged pistons available, 4032 alloy (Eutectic) and 2618 with very little silicon content.
The 4032 alloy is OK for mild turbo use.

Autotec/Racetec will make a set of six 4032 alloy pistons for around $450 and 2618 alloy for $663

Venolia will make set of 2618 for $650.

That includes wrist pins and pin fit.

I've used Autotec for a set of 4032 alloy pistons in a N/A 300 project.

thanks, ill look into these two companies..

Back