66sprint6's Boosted Inline still alive and doin well!

Matt,

How far away from initial fire up and dyno run (I hope you'll be doing one) do you think you are?

I am living vicariously through this, I suppose.

Beau

HA! Live on! Im stuck waiting on some tubing to come in then I have to get a friend with a TIG to weld it up nice for me. After that its a little wiring, top off with fluids and let er rip!!! If I could get it running and get the base/street tune happy by the end of June Ide be happy. If I could scratch together the extra cash to then toss it on a dyno for some WOT tuning I would be ecstatic!!! :mrgreen:

Matt

Got the SVO seats back from Premier Upholstery here in Murfreesboro. *Brought the tattered smelly seats in to get an estimate so I could figure out how much I needed to save up and how long it would take me to do so etc. *Told him exactly what I was thinking, we bounced a couple ideas around and his bid ended up catching me off guard...cause it was almost half of what I would have paid to fix the foam and install an upholstery kit from TMI or similar MYSELF. *When I got the call to come get them I was beyond pleased at the work as well.

They repaired the foam and put the convertible seatbelt guides in and even got the lumbar pumps to work again lol. *Look at the previous post for a before shot and here is the after. *Neither my car nor my *** are worthy of these...

Augustin and his wife Maggie are amazing people to deal with. *I cant promote or recommend them enough, I will be bringing all my upholstery needs (including my office chair LOL) to them from here on thats for sure. *Below is a link to their site, If you are in the Middle TN area and you dont already (hell even if you do) have an upholstery hook up, check out the Puga family, they are stand up, quick and amazingly sweet people. *You dont be disappointed!!!

Upholstery Murfreesboro TN | Upholsterers- Sofa, Auto, Antiques

https://www.facebook.com/Premier-Upholstery-1007507462619068/

I know I know, I got sidetracked from getting it running but the second I got home last night I mocked up a couple things to try and get the ball rolling again. *Now I have motivation to get it fired and start cruising it again!

Matt

Thanks and for the price I paid, I got about 5x what I would have gotten elsewhere. They hit me with the quote and I couldnt hand them the parts fast enough. Went from thinking it would be a couple weeks to a month to save up the needed cash to having them get started that day!

Matt

Didnt get much of anything "done" this weekend yet I worked every free second I had with the hopes that I might be able to fire her up and break the cam in...no dice.  Between the weather, company dropping in and some setbacks it just wasnt to be BUT progress is progress.  

Got the carb bolted up and the throttle cable sorted out.  Had some hiccups with the return springs but SHOULD have it ironed out for now.  Might shorten up the longer spring a tad but I dont want the throttle pedal feel any heavier than it needs to be.

Shot of the new Intercooler to Carb pipe.

Radiator hoses together and ready to go.  The radiator inlet and outlet are larger than factory and I couldnt find a lower hose that would work to save my life so I cut a piece of leftover header pipe, hammered on the lip of one end to make it easier to slip the smaller ID hose over it and laid some tack welds around each end to help keep the hoses on tight when the pressure builds up.  Didnt take any pics of the little pipe but it worked and should be ok for some time.  I could have probably made something work for the upper but everything was too loose on the thermostat housing and I didnt like it so I put the radiator end of the previous hose in boiling water, cut a small slit in the end and forced it over the radiator outlet.  Once again, itll work!  I will cut the excess off the upper hose along with the split.

Im waiting on some bits to finish up the new fuel line, an air filter and some other little things and then itll be good to go.  Getting closer!

Matt

Got the alternator brackets repainted, adjusted and all is looking well. The belt finally fits with the thermostat housing from the motor that came out of my buddy's 67.

I should be getting the final fuel fitting I need today and then its time to add fluids and see what happens.

Matt

Well...

I busted tail on the 66 Saturday and despite numerous little (and expected) setbacks, I FINALLY rolled the 66 out of the garage for the first time since I pulled the motor out.

Put the new valve cover on and started adding the break in oil.

Dirty and grumpy but shes out in the sunshine again.

Another hour or so later, she was ready to make some noise (I hooked up the vacuum line to the BOV right after snapping this pic)...

(nasty air filter on just for now, new one on the way)

Tho she did end up making noise...not the noise I was shooting for .  Starter sounded funny to me and I couldnt think what was up.  I pulled the started thinking maybe it wasnt making contact with the flywheel but after putting it back we saw that the starter was in fact turning the pulleys so thats not it.  Got a couple backfires from the carb so I pulled the distributor and put it back in 180* out.  Now it wont do anything, no coughing, no popping no nothing.  I pulled the #1 spark plug and stuck my thumb in the hole and turned the crank...no pressure what-so-ever.  Pushed the car back into the garage as it was getting late and called it a night.  

Sunday afternoon I pulled the valve cover and went through the motions of re-adjusting the rocker arms to be slightly loose on the pushrod yet with no slop on the valve. I followed the posted guides on adjusting these things (first time with adjustable rockers thanks to the Aussie head) to the T.  Said on a new motor, BEFORE allowing the lifters to fill with oil, push the pushrod down to make sure the lifter bottoms out and then adjust the rocker till the pushrod wont spin in your fingers, then got 1/4 turn more.  Once the lifters had pumped up, the valves were not closing and I wasnt getting any compression at all.  After loosening everything up and adjusting the rockers to where there is no slop, but the pushrod can spin barely and with some forced, I stuck my thumb in #1 and turned the crank by hand and on the compression stroke it blew compression past my thumb.  Im sure it will be a bit noisey but Im gonna fire the motor as it is and then do the final adjustment after break in while the motor is still warm.

Finally, I pulled the dipstick to see how much fuel I had put into the pan with my failure of a weekend and have decided to go ahead and drain it.  Ordered another 6 quarts of break in oil and some Comp Cams break in additive and once it comes in, Ill be trying again.  Lets see if she isnt happier now with some compression.

Im praying that my failure of a Saturday didnt ruin my chances of a successful cam break in but at this point, it is what it is and I cant turn back now.

Matt

Heres to hoping :beer: Im ready to move on to tuning so I hope shes happy enough to fire up, break in without issue and allow me to get started!

Matt

Funny thing is, the prior cam had 2 dead lobes when I pulled it out and it still was making really good power :LOL: If it doesnt act up or dump a TON of metal shavings into the pan I may not even notice if the cam is 100% or not lol.

Matt

Shes ALIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/kY4eV1JQki8[/youtube]

Couple friends of mine came over Sat to lend a hand in getting the 66 to fire but the starter was making funky noises and locking up with the flywheel .  We took a "recess" while another starter was ordered and reconvened later in the day to try again.  Same issue with the new starter except it powered thru and then started to turn over like it had cleared itself and nearly immediately after, she fired.  Ran it at varying RPM for about 45 minutes to break in the cam and everything went perfect.  Oddly enough, no fluid leaks were found and if it werent for the normal geysers of coolant from the radiator, the engine bay woulda be pristine when we were done.  I didnt hear any major exhaust leaks either but I wouldnt rule out some pin holes here and there on the downpipe or under the car.  Let her cool down a tad, topped off the coolant and then did the final adjustment on the rockers.  Gonna look into an odd noise the fan was making, give it another once over for anything loose or that I may have forgotten, put the front end back together and then start tweakin on the carb to try and get her dialed in as much as I can!!!  

I am extremely glad to be moving on!

Matt

Shes runnin about 2000-2500rpm in the video and the turbo scream at that RPM was wonderful to say the least :mrgreen:

Spent some time last night looking over things, making sure everything was still happy and then decided it was time to get the car looking right again.  Everything lines up about as good as it did back in the 60's so Im good with it .  Pushed it back so I could get a good look at it.

Not bad...certainly a TON cleaner than the previous setup but it almost is too...plain under the bumper lol.  I almost wish the opening was big enough to see the endtanks of the intercooler but such a wide opening would look somewhat silly on this car.  I think the only hesitation to liking it is that it looks like the silly billet grill pieces people used to put in the GT350 style valances back in the day that I despised.  Either way, its functional and looks a TON better than before.  Now...do I add the new chin spoiler or leave it off???  Gonna clamp it on tonight maybe and see what I think.

Gotta do a little work to get the hood 100% happy and the poor light buckets are rock chipped all to hell, hard to tell when the entire front was the same but now that the valance is all pretty it makes it stand out but I can get them painted pretty easy.  

Matt

:beer: X2 looks realy clean, it's kind of like a sleeper too with a hidden surprise. Good luck :nod:

Back