Giving my 200 a boost...Where to start???

Hi Folks, I'm new to FordSix and to my, well, Ford Inline Six... Just purchased a 66 Mustang with the 200ci and was wondering where to start with some performance enhancements. Not really looking for answers here as much as resources and places to look, books etc. I love the idea of 3 single carbs, I also remember my Triumph TR-6 having twin Strombergs, not sure if that is possible or even desirable. I have seen several things done, but not sure where to start the research. Any resource tips would be awesome. Thanks

Hi, get the Ford Falcon Handbook, and start digging through the older posts. There is a lot to soak up so you can come up with a performance plan. One of my posts you can find is "Triple intake for Ford Six" Good luck

U might want to go to vintage inlines. com and click on the Classic Inlines tech pages there. Lots of useful info on these and ford6s from around the world.
He can get U the "Handbook" with a click or 2 as well.
Both have good info on the carb/ingition 'feedback system' if that's what U have currently - gotta learn the basicis/what U have now B4 goin the next step.

For the boosted F6 see our forum for that right here! Click on the "Board Index" above and to the left to ride over there, scroll down to that forum...

Howdy Jackson:

And welcome to the FORUM. Yes, it is that good. In addition to the previous posts I'd recommend a Shop Manual for your vehicle. They run about $50 but if you're planning on any DIY the shop manual will explain a lot. Also, a little more info about you. Are you doing the work yourself or farming it out? Have you thought about a budget? Will these upgrades be a slam- all in, right now, or a process where each modification will build toward an end, some where in the future?

IF you're looking for some quick and relatively easy improvements, bump your initial timing setting by 5 degrees over the stock setting. It will cost nothing but will require a timing light.

Again welcome and keep us posted on your plans and progress.

Adios, David

If the engine is in good shape, I usually recommend starting with a good ignition system.

A DUI is good, but a Duraspark II is also a good, economical system. In fact, I would consider using a Pertronix HEI III D72000 module with the Duraspark and a 1.5ohm coil to get multi spark as well.

Pertronix HEI III D72000 module w/ DSII… any 1.5 ohm coil
Humm, like the smaller size of that compaired 2 oe in '77.
But...
2X the price of the oe box. How bout an other brand, 'standard' HEI?
To tell U the truth how is it all wired?
(Is it "go fast 4 less" that has the system & its schematic?)

Thanks, Jack!

It would help if you could mention the expected HP range you were looking for so we could advise you better on what mods may need to be performed to make it more suited for the intended goal.

These are the resources- when you have The Falcon Performance Handbook along with this forum whose members include the worlds leading Ford Six experts you have all that there is. The hub of the Ford six universe.

"…the hub…"
don't forget the stared "Classic Inlines Archive Site" at the begining of the listed items on this forum's (Sm Block Six Performance) Index page. Didn't that start it all?
Please peruse all three for deep understanding of operation, maintance and modification…

David gave a good hint when he asked "Will it B all at once or will it B a staged effort?" his Handbook is great if wanting to use it as a staged reference (but w/$ and knowledge in hand can be "all @ once", too).
Keep talkin...

I am in the process of doing the Clifford performance 6=8 modification on my '67 mustang 200. google 6=8 or go directly to cliffordperformance.net. You will be amazed at what this can do. I chose the 200 bundle that included headers, weber 38/38 carb with adapter that bolts right on the log intake. You have to get rid of the water tubes(if equipped) and bolt right to intake. Kit also includes a fuel pressure modulator. It will not work with the stock loadamatic distributor though. I was told to get a '68 mustang distributor from local parts store. Some modifications required on throttle linkage and the port divider has to be welded on. Good luck!

W E L C O M E !!! Almost.
AND
Thanks for the tip!

Again - I suggest the Handbook & CI Archive for an incredible amount of info beyond Clifford. Clifford has been around a good long while (2nd generation now) but 'got nothing on' these other sources due to focus on more than just the ford "falcon" motors (sm 6 / big 6). These 2 sources R specific to 'our' power plant & can go much more in depth.

Check em out!

Back