Oil on spark plug cylinder 2 misfire

Whiskeysixer

Hey guys, what's up? I've looked through the forum a bit and could find anything.

My problem is:

Spark plug Cylinder 2 gets really gunked up with oil and my coolant seems to stay relatively low.. I also have a misfire due to the funked spark plug.

I'm not blowing smoke at all and my oil is black, (definitely needs and oil change.)

Where is my coolant going? No signs at all of a leak.
And what's allowing the oil onto the spark plug?

Could it be an o ring? Maybe head gasket?

I wish I had more experience with engines.

Thanks for any help. -Rob.

BTW.

1978 granada
250ci I6

Hi, It could be a lot of things on the #2 plug. I would check a few things but first, when was your last tune up? It could be just age. Check cap for cracks,rotor and wires. A compression test could give you some clues. It could be valve stem seals. As for the coolant the first thing I'd do is check all the hoses and clamps and change the radiator cap and look for cracks in the overflow bottle and hose that goes to it. Lets see how it goes after the simple and cheaper things are looked at. Good luck

How fast does the coolant "dissapear"?
No big white smoke out the tail pipe?
"Black oil" but is there a 'milk shake" appearence to it (ie H2O mixed in)?

How long have you been running the vehicle?

Keep the coolant level up (eye on temp guage - if it wrks) until answering THAT question.

Do all of the above recommendations & check continuity of your spark plug wires.
What are you running for spark plugs??
The coolant leak could be caused by a very small crack in the center exhaust port & be so small that you would not see billowing white smoke.
Pull the valve cover & check the valve seals on that cylinder.

Back