dual advance distributor

Anyone out there know a supplier that has the dual advance distributor that Ford began in 1968? My searches render nothing but images. I have a '67 200 that I am doing a Clifford Performance 6=6 and i need the '68 distributor to make it work(according to Clifford).

I can help you out with a Duraspark DS11. Advise Bill

Check in the for sale section. wsa11 shouod have a DSII for sale, if not he'll most likely have one soon.

almo247":1otc8gbm said:
Anyone out there know a supplier that has the dual advance distributor that Ford began in 1968? My searches render nothing but images. I have a '67 200 that I am doing a Clifford Performance 6=6 and i need the '68 distributor to make it work(according to Clifford).

are you going to stay with a point controlled ignition, or are you going to change over to an electronic ignition?

if points, then any small six distributor from 68 on will do nicely as they were all dual advance distributors.

if you are going to electronic ignition, then i also suggest you talk to wsa about one of his recurved distributors. or grab one from say a 78 fairmont 3.3l and send it to wsa for custom curving. its worth the money.

Howdy Almo:

And Welcome to the FORUM! Yes, it is that good!

What does the Clifford plan include in addition to the '68 distributor? It's been a few years since I was a regular on the Clifford forum. You could start by checking with your local auto parts store. I like NAPA locally, but have used others too. In any case having the distributor fine tuned to your location, engine mods and gearing would be a big assist to getting the most out of your combination. Keep it coming and good luck.

FYI- the '68 points type distributor was a short lived (except in Calif.) piece. It bridged between the Load-O-Matic system (ended around '67) and the DuraSpark system (Beginning around 1973 and soon followed by the DuraSpark II).

Adios, David

almo247":kxwxx7pu said:

Clifford is recommending the distributor change because you have a load-o-matic distributor that is tied to the carburetor; you cannot run one without the other.
Therefore, Clifford is recommending the next upgrade, the 68 points distributor which is an easy upgrade. The 68 points distributor is not the best upgrade, just the easiest.

The best upgrade for the money would be a DSII distributor recurved to take advantage of your engine upgrades.
There is some minor rewiring that has to be done to use the DSII in your 67, but it has been covered on this forum and several others.

I recommend wsa111's DSII distributor. He'll make it work right for you.

Good Luck.

Almo247, how did your 6=8 conversion turn out? I have the headers, have a later distributor with pertronix. Thinking of going to the weber 38/38 next. I would PM you but the system won't let me.

to revherbal and others concerning your posts. I never received any notification I had responses(preferences set)on my post. Also, the administrator will not allow me to post a PM. Not sure why all the secrecy on this site. I did finish the 6=8 mod with the weber 38/38 DGAS 2bbl. When putting it on, the log head has to be removed and water hoses re-routed. I opted to do the easy dual advanced distributor with points. Engine was running fine until recently when it started dying of fuel starvation. Finally contacted Larry at cliffordperformance.net and went through all the steps. He asked what fuel i used and i said no-ethanol. The carb float was set for ethanol fuel. Also, the fuel pressure module that was part of the kit did not come with a gauge, so i go to local auto parts store and put one on. Wrong! He said those are not compatible with the unit. He said set the pressure at 3psi and remove the gauge. So, I did all that and still have a half tank of no-ethanol fuel. Now car has a miss. Set timing by engine sound and still has a miss. Should have done the DS II distributor upgrade. Still troubleshooting the miss. Got a timing light coming from ebay.

been a long time since (he) was around…

not sure Y PMing him doesn't wrk.

now would B a good time 4 a carb upgrade
as well (no more feed-back system & way better carbs than that stock 1).

@ almo247 & revherbel,

Back a number of years ago the sites owner (AzCoupe) set it up so that new members needed to have at least 5 posts (plus their beginning 5 posts approved too) before they could PM other members. It has nothing to do with any Secrecy, this was done for the Protection & Safety, of the site members, and to also Control Spam, during that time we were getting hit frequently. So as new members with 3 posts now you both only need a couple more posts and you will be able to PM other members. Hope that explaines this sites policy on PM'ing, as far as you not receiving notifications I can't see what you have for your dash board settings, but you might want to recheck them again and or contact by a post in the "Forum Issues" section so that the IT guy can check it. Good luck. :nod:

almo247":1oqgvkvp said:
to revherbal and others concerning your posts. I never received any notification I had responses(preferences set)on my post. Also, the administrator will not allow me to post a PM. Not sure why all the secrecy on this site. I did finish the 6=8 mod with the weber 38/38 DGAS 2bbl. When putting it on, the log head has to be removed and water hoses re-routed. I opted to do the easy dual advanced distributor with points. Engine was running fine until recently when it started dying of fuel starvation. Finally contacted Larry at cliffordperformance.net and went through all the steps. He asked what fuel i used and i said no-ethanol. The carb float was set for ethanol fuel. Also, the fuel pressure module that was part of the kit did not come with a gauge, so i go to local auto parts store and put one on. Wrong! He said those are not compatible with the unit. He said set the pressure at 3psi and remove the gauge. So, I did all that and still have a half tank of no-ethanol fuel. Now car has a miss. Set timing by engine sound and still has a miss. Should have done the DS II distributor upgrade. Still troubleshooting the miss. Got a timing light coming from ebay.

Hi almo247 concerning your engine miss try to find out which cylinder is missing if you have a set of "insulated spark plug wire pliers" you can pull one plug wire off at a time to find which one isn't hitting i.e. the engine RPM won't drop any or as much as the other cylinders. Then start by checking out your plug wires and cap using a volt / ohm meter. If that checks out within spec then do a compression test to see if all the cylinders have good compression (i.e. Within 10 % of each other). Some of the auto parts stores will loan out some of these tools for free. You can also try pulling out the spark plugs and then reinstall them into different cyclinders to see if the miss changes to another hole, this you would help you to know that you have a bad or fowled out spark plug. Good luck on your project. :nod:

Remove all the spark plugs & disconnect the electrical feed to the ignition. Have someone hold the throttle wide open then do your compression check.
When the plugs are out do a visual check for a fouled plug.
If the compression checks ok, ohm the spark plug wires.
One of my DS11 distributors curved to your engine will be light years ahead with the proper module, MSD, GM HEI or Duraspark blue lead wiring harness. The Mopar module is also a good consideration. Bill

Back