Build Thread 1961 Falcon build

Steve N Grace

Supporter 2021
Newer member here and wanted to start to document our build. As I mentioned in my intro, this will be a father / daughter project. Grace turns 14 this month and we bought the car last summer. 1961 Falcon sport, Its complete and no rust as it has spent its whole life in the central Oregon desert. It has 1970s style slotted mag wheels that are 13", a 1968 200 CI motor, an auto trans, bucket seats and console.

Here it is when we found it. it has been in this spot since the 80's. This owner was #2 and bought it in the mid 70's as a daily driver. (All the missing parts were in the trunk). The only bummer was it had dealer installed AC that the second owner removed.

IMG_3399.JPG

Steve N Grace

Supporter 2021
The weather has warmed up here so I was able to roll my 442 body outside today and we put the Falcon on the lift for the first time. Changed the oil and filter, installed a new fuel filter and removed and flushed the radiator.

IMG_3788.JPG

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Congratulations that’s a really nice solid 1961 Falcon! Those Sport Coupe models with the bucket seats and Deluxe Trim are quite rare. They sure are great looking Tudor Coupes and nice examples like yours are getting so hard to find now days. Does yours still have a 2 speed Ford O Matic in it or did they also put in the better C4 with the 1968 200 swap? Best of luck on the rebuilding.

Steve N Grace

Supporter 2021
My wife's uncle owns an auto repair and paint shop here in Oregon. A couple of years ago, someone brought him a MG with a 1978 200 in it. They wanted to swap it for a 289 which he did and kept the 200. When Grace bought the Falcon, Uncle Darrel gave her the 200. We picked it up last weekend. If I have time tomorrow, I will get it on an engine stand. It has a Duraspark 2 Distributor and coil so that's a nice bonus.

My thoughts are to rebuild this large log engine while keeping the car running with the small log 200 that's in it. (Assuming I can get it running). My thoughts are to port the head, convert to larger carb, mild cam, cold air intake and electronic ignition. First I need to see if it will run and replace all the tires. Then go through the brakes and suspension. This Ford stuff is all new for me, but the little Falcon is growing on me for sure. I am sure I will need the Forums expertise as it progresses. Cheers!

Steve N Grace

Supporter 2021
Congratulations that’s a really nice solid 1961 Falcon! Those Sport Coupe models with the bucket seats and Deluxe Trim are quite rare. They sure are great looking Tudor Coupes and nice examples like yours are getting so hard to find now days. Does yours still have a 2 speed Ford O Matic in it or did they also put in the better C4 with the 1968 200 swap? Best of luck on the rebuilding.
Bubba, Thats a good question, truth is I have only used park and neutral so far just to roll it around. The seller said it was a C4. I did get it to fire today briefly, but only by pouring gas down the carb. Suspect the fuel pump is shot. Still it was progress.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
On the Trans ID if you post a picture of it or the oil pan I will be able to tell what you have. Glad to hear you are making some progress and you know it's going to start when it gets he fuel in the carb. Did you already clean or flush out the fuel tank? You might want to check out those rubber fuel lines for deterioration or cracking at the fuel tank and at the fuel pump, if they are really bad they can be sucking in air and the fuel pump can't pull any fuel out of the tank. Quick way to find out if your fuel pump still works is to disconnect the fuel line from the tank and use a new fuel line into a smaller fuel container next to the fuel pump to test if the pump pulls any fuel also check or replace the fuel filter some of the Falcons had one mounted right on the fuel pump. Best of luck.

B RON CO

Famous Member
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, as mentioned, removing and cleaning the fuel tank and replacing all the rubber hose is a good idea. Also, there is probably a drain plug in the tank. You do not want to contaminate the carb. You can also check the sender and sock. Many of us have have put a gas can under the car and run a line from the fuel pump. A good time for Grace to learn how to be very careful around gasoline. That is a great age to start fixing cars. I was doing tune ups and brake jobs at that age, and getting tools for Christmas and birthdays. Good luck

Steve N Grace

Supporter 2021
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I do know fuel is in the hard line as I used a hand vacuum pump and instantly had fuel to the catch container but the rubber line between the hard line and the pump, (tank side) is pretty bad once I removed it to hook up the hand pump so I will replace it. I was behind on chores today so we did not get much shop time but did manage to get the spare 200 on an engine stand.

I hear you on the tools for Birthdays and Christmas, From 14 until I joined the Air Force, all I ever asked for was Craftsmen tools and car mag subscriptions. :) Heck, I still ask for tools for Christmas!

Rinke

Nice looking falcon you managed to score.
Are the tyres in need of replacement?
I recently replaced my old 13"tyres for 185/80R13 whitewalls from maxxis.
They were the best priced whitewalls I could find.

Good luck with the build!
Rinke

Steve N Grace

Supporter 2021
Nice looking falcon you managed to score.
Are the tyres in need of replacement?
I recently replaced my old 13"tyres for 185/80R13 whitewalls from maxxis.
They were the best priced whitewalls I could find.

Good luck with the build!
Rinke
Thanks Rinke, we actually just bought a set of 13" BFG radial TAs on sale. They will match the 70's style aluminum slots perfectly.
My car body is heading to paint prison Saturday.. (long story), but that means the falcon will have a spot in the shop starting Sunday and getting it inside will jump start the project and I should have some good progress reports this summer.