1965 Mustang - transmission options - on a budget

shreqshack

Another clarifying question....just weighing all the options
It was suggested that I could put a 4 speed toploader on my vehicle if I purchase the econoline bellhousing....is that right? Is there a specific (year/model) 4 speed toploader that I would need to purchase? Thanks again everyone!!!

powerband

2K+
VIP
AFAIK: Vintage 3 Spd and 3+OD Toploader trannys are common, inexpensive and often in decent original shape from mild cars and vans. 4 spd Toploaders that fit SBF and adapt to small six BH's are in demand and quite expensive. As the desired Ford 'muscle car' tranny, original trannys probably need rebuild and rebuilts' are top money...

Early SBF's and V8 T5's are losing popularity in newer builds with the newer Tremecs and 4spd Toploader imitators. High performance V8 T5's are avilable new for under $2K and 'Renewed' T5's typically under $1K.

(Unlike TL's there is no simple way to inspect the T5's important parts. Swap meet 'Core' T5's are available for a few hunded but are a crap shoot. may need a $100 part or over $1000 in gears and synchros..., [ask me how I know :cool: ] ).

. .

OEM tag reveals T5 genre and parts requirements, HiPo parts are more expensive, without original tag T5 could be anyapplication and mixed parts...

have fun

powerband

2K+
VIP
On option #3 - it was suggested that I would need to "Change the trans yoke to fit"
I understand what the trans yoke does....How would I go about finding one that fits.
Let's say I went with a 3 speed toploader (3.03) transmission and the econoline bellhousing, then what year/make/model/ trans yoke would likely fit?

Early cars used the small integral carrier rear end and 1100 Series universal joints with the 25 spline 2.77 output shaft. All later cars use the 1300 series universals. NO CONVERSION JOINT for 1100 to 1300 U's was ever produced in the forum for sale.

There are available aftermarket and used late 60's TL and T5 compatible - 28 spline to 'tiny' 1100 series tranny output yokes to convert driveshaft to toploader or T5 to original DS U's. Other option is to take the front and rear yokes nedded and ahave a DS 're-tubed' to correct length with correct 1100/1300 universal yokes.. Aftermarket or fabbd Rear tranny mount for the T5 is also needed.

. .

hav e fun

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Another clarifying question....just weighing all the options
It was suggested that I could put a 4 speed toploader on my vehicle if I purchase the econoline bellhousing....is that right? Is there a specific (year/model) 4 speed toploader that I would need to purchase? Thanks again everyone!!!
Yes that Econoline (C3UA) is a one of a kind Bell Housing it was designed by Ford to adapt and use the new for 1964 heavier duty 3.03 3 speed transmissions in place of tge 2.77 in the 1964 Econoline's while still keeping the 144's & 170's original smaller Flywheel and 8.5 Clutch Assembly.

Since the Ford 3.03 3 Speed Top Loader (TL), the 4 Speed TL, and the later 3 Speed (TL) with Over Drive are all in the same 3.03 Trans family and have all the same input shaft and case Dimensions any of them can bolt up to that Econoline Bell Housing. If you look at the pictures of that Econoline bell housing at the transmission mouting pattern you can see it the early narrow bolt pattern like your 2.77. As for years of 3.03 3 speed and 4 speed top loaders that can be a direct fit that is only the 1964 first year Transmissions that are the same narrow mounting bolt pattern. However any year 3.03 Top Loader Trans can be made to fit including those 3 speeds with overdrives if you drill the front of the Trans case (an easy job) so as to match tha narrow mounting patteren and also some cases were drilled for both bolt patterns. The T5 can also adapt to this bell housing if you wanted to later on. Best of luck

shreqshack

3 speed with overdrive? Wow! Where would you get one of these? What year were these made? I talked to a guy who had a 3 speed with overdrive that came off of a Ford 1977 truck. Would this work with the 1965 motor and the econoline bell housing???? Wow

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yes these 3 speeds with Over Drive were used just before Ford started using the 5 speeds. Yes off the top of my head I think first year was 1977. They were used in the Ford Granada & Mercury Monarch? cars as well as the F100 and E100 Econolines and probally other models I can't think of right now. Yes that 1977 pickup is probally one that will work on the Econoline bell housing.

As a side note were also some older Borg Warner 3 speeds with OD (electric controlled) going back to 1949 harder to find now days but they would bolt right up to your current bell housing. They don't have a 1st gear sycrow but really shift great and give you a 5 speed with some custom wiring so that up shifts in to OD with just the push of a button i.e. 1st, 2nd, 2 OD, 3rd, and 3rd OD. They were never offered in any of the smaller Ford & Mercury cars so would it take some adapting work, an aftermarket floor shifter (Hurst etc.) and a different lenght new drive shaft its probally to much work than you would want to do compared to the newer Transmissions but they were really great working transmissions.

Soldmy66

In case you are considering an automatic, a GM 700R4 will work with an adaptor plate. I believe the OD is either 0.73 or 0.76 to 1. They are also very inexpensive.