All Small Six 1977 250 questions

This relates to all small sixes
Hey all, just purchased a 77 with the 250 six. carb sucks, I need to replace. Lots of options I've read the threads. Only 62000 on the motor so Im not ready to get crazy with rebuild. for reliability purposes is it worth getting an adapter and dropping on a 2150 holley? I saw some older threads about Pony Carbs, now owned by Champion cars, direct replacement 1v. are they worth it? or should I just buy a 1v sniper and be done. looking for nothing more than more reliability and if I can get a few extra hp then cool. build will be down the road as miles and finances dictate. Also, kind of a turd in exceleration (I know dont flame me) but with the hideous rear end gears stock in these would it be worth changing to something a little more "city" friendly? mine has 2.79, so maybe a 3.23 or whatever ratio available around that? Thanks.

Bryan

I had this same car that I bought in 1977, with low of mileage I would bet that your carb could be rebuilt and work just fine. The Mavericks all have a very low hood line not so sure that a 1V to 2V adapter will be easy to fit without doing some other type modding or cutting. If you did the direct mount 2V that's going to work much better. Mine was quite quick even with the 2.79 rear axle and 1V living in Calif I had to keep a stock apearance to pass the required smog tests. But Internally I ported the head as well as a few other tricks. I had lots of fun with that Maverick out pulling many a stock SBC or SBF V8's from a stop light with it. Best of luck on your Maverick.

Thanks bubba. Is there an intake that will accept the 2v carb? I mean a stock one, I see there are some aftermarket options but I dont want or need to go that route.........

The stock intake is cast as part of these log heads i.e. The intake is not removeable. Yes besides modding the stock intake by doing a direct mount for a Weber 2V, Autolite / Mortorcraft 2100 / 2150 2V or the Holley 2300, with some machine work see link. https://fordsix.com/ci/LogMods.html#2VC
Also there have also been some that were able to adapt a Carter BBD 2V Carb to the Ford head. Best of luck

a week now...wasss up?

Back