Relates to all big sixes

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yes they sure did at least for the first few years that they were built starting with the first F150's in 1975 they fit into the emissions loop hole between the F100's and the heavier duty pickups. The F100's were starting to have as much emissions equipment as the car's were back then.

xctasy

5K+
VIP
Imco.
Improved Combustion.
Around 13 key items, mandatory unleaded gas, but no mandatory cat and no Thermactor untill 1978.

As far as I know. The FT 361 (FE based) truck engine of that year was still non catalyst. So we're the F700 and F150 big blocks untill 1979.

The Im(p)co 1984 TSB tells you the Chicken Tax SUV and sub 8500 pound GVWC emission standards between 1973 to 1977. Thermactor Upstream and Downstream Air became mandatory on 1978 Ford passenger vehicles. 1000 pound vehicles got all the passenger car compliance requirements in 1978. 1500 pound payload trucks missed out on some emissions requirements untill 1987 IIRC.

Shorty

standards may have been different in different areas? I have several f150s from 1983 that have a factory label under the hood that says non-catalyst trucks came with no cats or thermactor air. Thes trucks were made in oakville ontario assembly plant.

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
standards may have been different in different areas? I have several f150s from 1983 that have a factory label under the hood that says non-catalyst trucks came with no cats or thermactor air. Thes trucks were made in oakville ontario assembly plant.
Likely. What is the 2 digit DSO code on the door jamb stickers? I feel like Canada made all sorts of 'odd' combinations. My 96 F350 4x4 with a C6 was from Oakville, as was a yellow 96 f150 with black interior I saw in the junkyard

My 78 f150 was a catalyst truck, built on San Jose for the Kansas City DSO.

Shorty

All the door jamb stickers are painted over. The trend I have noticed in the many parts trucks I have disassembled from the 80-86 model run is the commercial or farm trucks with less options were non catalyst but the xl or xlt trucks had cats. The 85 xlt I used for interior parts on my blue f150/bronco truck had 302 efi with all the evap emmission/catalyst/air pump stuff (as well as A/C tilt cruise power windows carpeted floor.) My Black 83 was 6 cyl standard with no extra options and has no evap emissions system, no cat (with a factory emission label that indicates non catalyst). I have also tore appart for parts an 83 that had the feed back carb and all the emmissions stuff, it was 6 cyl but auto, also assembled on oakville ontario.

wallen7

Yes they sure did at least for the first few years that they were built starting with the first F150's in 1975 they fit into the emissions loop hole between the F100's and the heavier duty pickups. The F100's were starting to have as much emissions equipment as the car's were back then.
Yeah no cats and fuel filler had big hole for leaded gas

wallen7

It was called 49 States and California emissions back then. All this was before computers became the norm. And yes the California vehicles showed up all over the country with people moving all around

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
All the door jamb stickers are painted over. The trend I have noticed in the many parts trucks I have disassembled from the 80-86 model run is the commercial or farm trucks with less options were non catalyst but the xl or xlt trucks had cats. The 85 xlt I used for interior parts on my blue f150/bronco truck had 302 efi with all the evap emmission/catalyst/air pump stuff (as well as A/C tilt cruise power windows carpeted floor.) My Black 83 was 6 cyl standard with no extra options and has no evap emissions system, no cat (with a factory emission label that indicates non catalyst). I have also tore appart for parts an 83 that had the feed back carb and all the emmissions stuff, it was 6 cyl but auto, also assembled on oakville ontario.
XL didnt come around as a package until 86 or 87. There was base/custom, XLT, and XLT Lariat. My 85 bronco is a base model, colorado high altitude model, manual everything, 300, no AC or dash vents, but was fully smogged from the factory. Funny how different these can be