All Big Six 1st Road Trip w/new Engine & Trans

Relates to all big sixes

F-250 Restorer

Famous Member
I just took the first road trip with the new engine and new zf5 trans. Overall, the truck did well. It felt great to shift into OD and cruise at 75, the AFR at about 15:1, my foot hardly on the gas to maintain 75mph. Having a AFR gauge helps with mpg. When I accelerate while cruising, I watch the gauge and can see right where the power valve opens and the AFR goes rich.

It was an interesting drive with 75 miles of freeway, about 40 miles of winding, gentle hills, and then 40 miles of switch backs, dropping from 3k feet to sea level. On the way back, climbing up those switch backs, I was in 3rd the entire time (granny 1st), climbing at 25-35 mph, and the new aluminum radiator with dual Ford Contour fans kept the temp right where it was supposed to be, even while climbing up out of the valley in 85* heat.

My only complaint is about the 3.31 rear end gears. I hope to soon swap to 3.74 rears.

pmuller9

5K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Supporter 2021
Have you run the rpm up yet to see how it pulls?
Are you using the Edelbrock AVS2?

F-250 Restorer

Famous Member
pmuller9: It is hard to resist winding the rpm's up in each gear! I get long, strong pulls in each gear. I don't have a tach, or I would let you know how far I normally wind the gears up before a shift. I will say that when it is 'buzzing', there is no stopping it.

I'm using the Summit 600 carb.

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Id go 4.10s with a zf5... Unless smaller than a 31" tire. ZF5s were almost always paired with 4.10s from the factory running 31 to 33" tires.

I took my freshly rebuilt 300 on a 2000 mile trip with just 250 miles on it. Went from 1000' to 12,000', 99% of which was at highway speeds. Played on the rocks in Moab and went home.