All Small Six 1v to 2v Conversion - Shop recommendations - Chicago area

This relates to all small sixes

Buck62

I'm looking to do the 1v to 2v conversion on a '78 Fairmont big log head. We're looking to go with a Holley carb.
I would appreciate some recommendations for a shop in the Chicago area that can open up and mill and tap the hole PROPERLY to accept the oval 2v Holley adapter Preferably, someone who's done this before.
Also...what's the average approximate cost to get it done?
Thanks...

Sorry don’t currently know anyone in that area, I do have a friend at my old job that lived there for many years if i can get a chance i will ask him if he knows anyone. The trouble is there aren’t very many shops across the US that have done it even though its not really that hard of a job, for a standard machine shop probably most auto rebuilder machine shop wont have a vertical milling machine needed to do the job. One of our site members StarDiero75, even did his own 2V Direct Mount log head mod at his school machine shop, in the link you can see how it’s done. Best of luck. https://fordsix.com/threads/milling-head-for-2bbl.79809/

Last edited:
. Major parts are available from the neighborhood nationwide chain store and internet only vendors . Neighborhood machine shops especially willing to do one-off work are increasingly scarce or locally non-existent. Typically ,no longer are brake rotors re-surfaced or cylinder heads given a 'valve job' which kept cash flowing in local shops. Searching for parts , often Amazon pops up for some odd part I couldn't source locally. Internet sellers - E-Bay and more auto specific have transformed the 'old car parts and service' search from local to global...

There is a vendor I see on E-Bay selling complete 2 Barrel conversion heads. I do not have any clue as to their actual quality but understand the value of the completed modification .

You may be able to find a willing Machine Shop shop fairly local if you haunt the local car cruises and look for home fabricated or similar cars . Ask around the cars unfinished and you may get some help.

have fun

Last edited:
Thanks guys... I've been going to cruise nights and I'm asking around.
So far, no luck. But I'm sure I'll find something.
I just wanted to know if there was anyone in my area who had done this specific work before. I'd prefer to have someone with some prior experience do it. But you're right. It doesn't seem all that complicated.

yes, we have threads here for DIY. 3, 4 guys done it rather than go the forge weld route. Use the search function.
Also look in the magazine stickies for AK Miller's exploits. Not exactly the same but worth ur stop-in while here.

WoW ! Extensive compilation~
Stickie time?

Back