223 head oil tube question

FiddyFour

I am in the process of cleaning up my 223, and have pulled the rocker cover to begin the internal inspection. The books I have describe the 223 as having an "oil supply tube" towards the rear of the rocker assembly. Seems logical enough LOL.

Now MY head has the supply tube as described above, along with another in the front of the head. :unsure::

Is this front one a supply as well? Or, is it an overflow to return excess oil back into the crankcase from the rocker shaft assembly? OR... Do I have some morphedite engine??? :roll:

Thanks in advance...
Traves

If I remember correctly,that IS a return pipe..

Been a while since I had an ol' 223..

Hi Guys, I`m new to this forum and retoring a 57 fire engine with a 223 line six engine in the Netherlands.
I hope someone can help me out here, got a rocker arm oil problem.
After taking of the cyl heads I removed the oil inlet tube, placed everything back and now there is no oil comming out of the inlet tube.
I do have 45 psi oil pressure at Idle.
I suspect a rubber seal at the bottom of that tube went bust.

Can anyone tell me if this seal is connected to the oil pump???
Can I get to it wen removing the oil pan/pump, or do i have to take out the engine?
Where can I get a new seal? I have all the part nr`s.
Hope someone can Help, everything is much appreciated!!!
Dan

On my '53 215 the oil supply tube just pushes into the block. I put two o-rings on it and they work fine. Hope this helps.

Daan

I'd have to look it up fore I do not know right off the Top of my Head.

There are several NOS parts house around let me see what I can find.

The early 223's were known for the Blockage of the Oil Feeder Line for the Rockers & after market add on Oil Feeder Line could be purchased to solve this problem or prevent starvation to the Rockers if it occured by installing it before a blockage happened.

Daan":2ype3aqk said:
Hi Guys, I`m new to this forum and retoring a 57 fire engine with a 223 line six engine in the Netherlands.
I hope someone can help me out here, got a rocker arm oil problem.
After taking of the cyl heads I removed the oil inlet tube, placed everything back and now there is no oil comming out of the inlet tube.
I do have 45 psi oil pressure at Idle.
I suspect a rubber seal at the bottom of that tube went bust.

Can anyone tell me if this seal is connected to the oil pump???
Can I get to it wen removing the oil pan/pump, or do i have to take out the engine?
Where can I get a new seal? I have all the part nr`s.
Hope someone can Help, everything is much appreciated!!!
Dan

Back