226 crankshaft pulley

Hello all I have a 1949 ford F1 with a flathead 226 6 cylinder just rebuilt runs nice but have a whoop whoop noise coming from my crankshaft pulley. It is the one filled with a viscous fluid back in 1949 probably not viscous anymore does anyone have a lead on what I can replace it with? Or where I might find one?

Thank You Jim

Try contacting the Damper Doctor in Redding, Calif. they have a rebuilding service and might be able to help you. They also have some rebuilt Dampers in stock so maybe they have that one. Good Luck. https://www.damperdoctor.com/

Thank you sent them a email and will see what they have to say. Seems like luck is really needed with this old engine she sounds really nice when we fired her up but getting to this point was an adventure. Find the pulley and on to body work, some day hope to drive it on the real road. Jim

Kracken, did you ever get a resolution to your 226 damper problem? I have my 226 in the shop now for a rebuild (also a 1949 F-1 if you want to see the first walkthrough before restoration was started) In my case, the hub on the crank pulley has a deep groove worn into from dirt on the rope seal. I reached out to Damper Doctor, but the best they can do is a sleeve which likely will fail as the groove is about .025 deep (almost the size of a spark plug gap) and about .25" wide. Any wisdom you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

@Kracken not speaking from any absolute experience, but what about building up the groove with brazing/welding, turning on a lathe then sleeving?

Also, can the rope seal be set back to be out of/away from the groove in the hub? I.e.: wear/ride on a different spot.

Any time you have a groove in the pulley, and before installing a wear sleeve, clean the groove up and mix up some JB weld and fill the groove. Install the sleeve and let the JB cure. This has always worked for me.

Joe

Some of the Technicians I worked with, if they had time , would let the JB harden and smooth it out with a wide flat file. When working flat rate I didn't always have time to let it harden.

The 226 that i am replacing the front rope seal on, the damper seal surface area has a very slight rotating indentation (like a swirl around the shaft)..This is designed to sling the oil towards the inside when the crankshaft rotates. I do not have a singular groove worn into my damper seal area. Hope this helps.

48 F3 Joe

Thanks for the guidance. I really appreciate it. All good input that makes me feel more confident that a reasonable fix is possible without the risk of making things worse.

Back