262 oil dipstick repair

rlbarton

good evening. When I replaced the broken cast exhaust manifold on my 262 with a twin outlet Clifford header I banged the dipstick around a bit. When I took it out for a test drive I found I had an oil leak coming from the dipstick outer tube. I have the Ford service manual for the f250 but it says nothing about how its removed and replaced. I went to the interwebs with little info about the 262 specifically, but most other ford tubes just pull out was the consensus. I took some pics and then gave her a tug. the tube came off but left about an inch left on the block. Any advice on getting the leftover out and where to locate a replacement? any advice on this repair would be appreciated. I can find zero info on this , My assumption would be this shouldn't be overly difficult. But I'd like to have a proper plan before I proceed. Thank you. Rick20220925_081150.jpg20220925_080702.jpg20220925_081131.jpg

Hi Rick and welcome back to the Ford Six Forum glad to see your making lots of progress with your 262 Pick Up! I don't know how easy it is going to be to find another Dip Stick Tube for a 262 Six or if it happens to be the same one that is used in the 223 Six. Since I been searching for a 262 engine to build for a Race Car Project for quite awhile now and am having no luck finding one my best guess is it won't be all that easy to find one, but maybe you can.

What I have often done with these broken Dip Stick Tubes on many engines that have had them broken like that is to just weld them back together again its really easy with a Oxy. Acc. Torch. Yes they are driven into that block hole and have a slight interference fit, I gently use a Vise Grip with just a smallest amount of grip pressure on it so as grab it but not crush the tube out of shape then I twist it a little back and forth a little a a time as I am pulling up on it and it should come right out without to much effort. Good luck.

Back