All Small Six 65 mustang straight 6 200cl

This relates to all small sixes

dmc1

Hi can any one help with these codes. I have a 65 ford straight 6 in my mustang auto transmision. The engine block numbers are C5DE 6015-H Some one has said they have a engine with code numbers C40E 6015-A That had manual transmision. Will this be a straight swop. All info is much appreciated

Hi dmc1, and welcome to the Ford Six Forum! Your engines Casting / Design Number basically decodes as being for a 1965 year model, it would take finding the blocks Casting Date Code to determine the exact day that the block was cast. These Design codes really don't have anything to much to do with the type Transmission that was used, as you can use either type of Transmission on any engine as long as you can find and use all the correct parts to assemble your combination. All the Early Ford Small Six Block's from 1960 to 1965 will only have the one small Bell Housing Bolt Pattern. Block's from 1966 to 1981 have two Bolt Patterns, the original first Small Bolt Pattern and the newer Larger Bell Housing Bolt Pattern, all Ford Small Six Ford O Matic's or the C4 Automatic Transmissions can be fitted to any year of 144, 170, or 200 Six except for the very rare Big Bell Housing Block (it has 2/3 of the SBF V8 6 Bolt Bell Housing Pattern and can be converted over to a full 6 Bolt V8 Bell Pattern with very little effort) these 1982 200 Six Big Bell Block's were made for use with the new for 1982 C5 Auto Transmission.

A Quick way to I.D. and tell any 200 Six from the smaller 144, or 170 Six's, is that all 200's will have 5 Freeze Plugs in the side of the Short Block the 144 & 170 Blocks will only have 3 of them.

And one last important thing you must be sure to remove the Pilot Bushing from the center of the Crankshaft, as well as the Clutch, Flywheel, and Manual Transmission Block Spacer Plate if they have not been removed already from any Engine that Originally had a Manual Trans when converting it over to for Auto Transmission use. Then first install the correct Auto Trans Block Spacer Plate from your old Auto Trans engine, as well as the Flex Plate and be sure to use its shorter Flex plate bolts (Add some sealer or Red Lock Tite on them) to bolt it onto the crankshaft. Best of luck

Hi bubba you gave me some info with regards to my straight6 200cu engine C5DE 6015-H with original auto trans.
I have come across this 12 C8DE 6015-B {Dont know what the 12 is for but the guy put that in the text} its coming out a 1970s maveric. After reading every thing you and chad have pointed out and said. this should go straight in to my 65 mustang and the trans should bolt straight on. Hopping i am right and i have learnt somthing here.
Regards

These guys on this forum are great and will get you where you want to go. You would probably benefit from getting a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook available from fordsix.com/Classic Inlines. It is full of info on swaps, upgrades, power mods and more.

Hi dmc1, congrats on locating a good 200 Six to replace your 1965 engine! The 12 isn't part of the Design Number so don't worry about that. You are correct that the newer C8DE 6015-B Engine will bolt right in and your Auto Trans can bolt right up with no major problems. If its a complete 1970 engine that also comes with the Distributor and stock Carburetor and a 1970 Large Log Head this will add a decent amount of power over what the 1965 engine had. Good Luck.

Hi bubba thanks for the reply. I sort of given up after locating a few that were in the USA and Canada but could not get the sellers to pack them on crates. I put a thread up on facebook mustang forum a guy sent me a link to this maveric. Gut says its running and still in car. every thing is on it only he says carb has a problem as thread is striped in one of the holes so not sure what he means. Shouldnt be much of a problem. So going to drive 200 miles down tomorow and have a look. Fingers crossed its in the back of my van on the way back. I much appreciate your help with out i dont know were i be.

Hi dmc1, that's really good news though it's not local to you that doesn't sound to far to travel to pick it up. Good luck on the trip and here's hoping its a good runner too.

Hi dmc1, that's really good news though it's not local to you that doesn't sound to far to travel to pick it up. Good luck on the trip and here's hoping its a good runner too.
Its 3 and a half hours just out side london. Ball ache of a drive going down there but should be woth it.

Yes I can only imagine the amount of traffic there would be going through London all big city's seem to be a lot alike on that. I was stationed in Germany back in 1971 and had planed for a trip to go and see some of England and London but lost that opportunity.

Yes I can only imagine the amount of traffic there would be going through London all big city's seem to be a lot alike on that. I was stationed in Germany back in 1971 and had planed for a trip to go and see some of England and London but lost that opportunity.
Luckily i never had to even go on to the motorway that goes round it. Was out on the out skirts. Got engine and transmission all seems to add up to what they have said. The guys were in to there old cars and were putting a engine in to one when i arrived. The engine was ready to pull out so never got to hear it run. But you could just tell they were a honest bunch. What they said about engine was it had good pull and run smooth with no knocks. You see scammers a mile of and they to me were never scammers.So just have to get it in and see.

Hi dmc1, so how have you doing on that 70's Maverick 200 Six Engine swap into your 65 Mustang?

Hi dmc1, so how have you doing on that 70's Maverick 200 Six Engine swap into your 65 Mustang?
Hi bubba. I got the engine in but could not get it to run. The engine had spark and compresion. fuel getting through. But would not fire up. I flatened the batter a couple of times it was freezing cold, getting late so i gave up. My friend gave me the keys to his garage So i had a wk end down there I was hoping to get back down there. But be honest his place is full with his customers vans and cars .So dont think he wanted to let me in over xmass. I will have to wait till he lets me back in.
Some pics of the original engine failure after rebuild and new one.

Attachments

• IMG_20221204_172107.jpg
    IMG_20221204_172107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20221204_172101(1).jpg
    IMG_20221204_172101(1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • dead2.jpg
    dead2.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DEAD1.jpg
    DEAD1.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20221203_211503.jpg
    IMG_20221203_211503.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 19
Hi dmc1, wow that did some serious damage to the old engine but am glad to see that you got the newer engine in! I am sure you will get it going soon and I hear you its hard to get out and do things in the really cold weather its no fun at all. Best wishes.

Hi, since the new engine had a 3 speed I hope you removed the pilot bushing from the crankshaft. Seeing those busted pistons has me wondering what went wrong. Those pistons are hammered. Did the engine ingest some metal or did a couple of valves drop? Good luck

It looks like the block was sleeved with no shoulder for the sleeve to sit on, sleeve slid down some, now the piston rings now opened up to the bore that was made for the sleeve, and when the piston went down all hack happened.

Hi, since the new engine had a 3 speed I hope you removed the pilot bushing from the crankshaft. Seeing those busted pistons has me wondering what went wrong. Those pistons are hammered. Did the engine ingest some metal or did a couple of valves drop? Good luck
No i have just put the old transmision straight on. Dont know about that.

Just been working away from home and come back to this so actualy read back through posts.
As the engine had auto transsmission on it and looked the same as mine. So did not think i needed to do any thing with the pilot bushing .
Just read through Info bubba had said and see what you are saying but thats only if it had manual trans. Or am i that thick.
Thanks for the help i am a novice so any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Back