"88 f150 4.9 straight 6 stalling when engine warm"

Econoryan

^^^ is the title to this thread below.

Im looking at a van that has the same problem. He says... "Yes. It starts right up. It just doesn't like to go far before stalling out. Like 20 to 45 min sometimes less sometimes more." Very similar problem it sounds like.

I have a few ideas on what it could be.. IAC, PCM relay, ECU. Bad ground? Timing? Fuel pump? (has new dist, plugs,wires,fuel filter, starter,alt,egr valve)

What do yall think? (heres the zinger, the van is about 1k miles away from me, i'd fly out, so i need to be able to fix it so i can drive it back lol.)

My guess is ignition coil. I think you don't have much information but could likely diagnose on site. Bring a test light, multimeter, fuel pressure gauge and what ever spare parts you can like: coil, map sensor, ecu, ignition module even though the distributor is new, throttle body, etc., pieces of wire.

Just an fwi. That is one of the years that had 3 fuel pumps. Each tank has a supply pump and a main pressure pump on the frame rail. If the one of the supply pumps fails the main will not be able to meet demand under load.

Yes on making sure there are good clean & Tite grounds as well as other wiring connections I had to find and fix quite a number of those before. Best of luck

My guess is ignition coil. I think you don't have much information but could likely diagnose on site. Bring a test light, multimeter, fuel pressure gauge and what ever spare parts you can like: coil, map sensor, ecu, ignition module even though the distributor is new, throttle body, etc., pieces of wire.
I meant to add that also. Right. I dont mind throwing those few things on it. I can return most things (besides fuel pump etc..) has been my experience. Just sucks its so intermittent.
Just an fwi. That is one of the years that had 3 fuel pumps. Each tank has a supply pump and a main pressure pump on the frame rail. If the one of the supply pumps fails the main will not be able to meet demand under load.
Wow. lol. I meant to go look at pics earlier. It only has 1 tank. Its a XL too. I did see a 6'er w/ 2 tanks before.

Preciate the input.

Back