95 f150 4.9 4wd gear swap question

Truckersigman

So my truck has had a granny low 4 speed swaped into it by previous owner and has 31/10.5/15s with factory stock hight and assuming it still has the factory rear gears which r 3.55 was woundering what gears I should swap to get better climbing power outa of. I fill like it struggles to climb hills when I’m on my commute to and from work got a few hills that if I don’t have a run up either on the dirt road or hwy it struggles and falls on it’s face 4th is so tall I can Hardly use it on the dirt road and even when I climb the big hill which is not very big unless I’m n my semi loaded it will hold bout 50 till I get to the top. So my question is would a gear swap help to get it up to speed easier and not fill like it’s struggling or should I just consider putting a m5odr2 back in it?

Any help would be appreciated

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
In my 1994 F150 I had the 4.9 with the M5OD-R2 and a 3.08 rear gear stock 15 inch Wheels 15 R 75 235 Tires, I really liked it. Before that pickup I had a 1965 F350 with a 300and the NP435 Granny 4 speed had the 4.88 rear gear and 16 inch wheel 16 R 75 235 Tire combo it was a great truck for the time it was designed for but it was a bear on the Freeway toping out at 62 MPH and the only time you ever needed 1st gear is you had a heavy load you were hauling or towing. You could probably go to a 4.10 or 4.56 and that should help but if it was me I would probably go to the The 5 speed it would make a good improvement even with your 3.55's since you could then be able to use first gear. Best of luck

Truckersigman

C I do
In my 1994 F150 I had the 4.9 with the M5OD-R2 and a 3.08 rear gear stock 15 inch Wheels 15 R 75 235 Tires, I really liked it. Before that pickup I had a 1965 F350 with a 300and the NP435 Granny 4 speed had the 4.88 rear gear and 16 inch wheel 16 R 75 235 Tire combo it was a great truck for the time it was designed for but it was a bear on the Freeway toping out at 62 MPH and the only time you ever needed 1st gear is you had a heavy load you were hauling or towing. You could probably go to a 4.10 or 4.56 and that should help but if it was me I would probably go to the The 5 speed it would make a good improvement even with your 3.55's since you could then be able to use first gear. Best of luck
see I wouldn’t mind keeping the granny low and since it don’t really haul anything once n a blue moon I’ll haul a car but mostly she will c just the tool box and all my tools and stuff

Truckersigman

see I wouldn’t mind keeping the granny low and since it don’t really haul anything once n a blue moon I’ll haul a car but mostly she will c just the tool box and all my tools and stuff like that. Ik I get up to around 70 mph and seems like it screams around 3k roughly (crappy tach that was n a previous truck that nvr was hooked up)

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
see I wouldn’t mind keeping the granny low and since it don’t really haul anything once n a blue moon I’ll haul a car but mostly she will c just the tool box and all my tools and stuff like that. Ik I get up to around 70 mph and seems like it screams around 3k roughly (crappy tach that was n a previous truck that nvr was hooked up)
Yes that's exactly what my 65 would should like at 62 MPH was were it was maxed out pushing it an hard just made more noise but no more pulling. Putting in Lower gears won't be any help to you than it makes it worse, only a Gear Vendors OD could help in that if you want to keep the T18. The common Ford T18's (Early versions case casting numbers T18-1E & 13-01) have a 1st gear of 6.32, 2nd 3.09, 3rd 1.69, and a High gear of 1.0, Reverse is 7.44. There was one kind of Rare version called the T18B that has a little better gearing that might help 1st gear of 6.32, 2nd 4.32, 3rd 1.51, and a High gear of 1.0, Reverse is 7.44 these were used in the Diesel Trucks from 1967-1972. The T19 has all Sync rows and some better gear ratio too.

Truckersigman

Yes that's exactly what my 65 would should like at 62 MPH was were it was maxed out pushing it an hard just made more noise but no more pulling. Putting in Lower gears won't be any help to you than it makes it worse, only a Gear Vendors OD could help in that if you want to keep the T18. The common Ford T18's (Early versions case casting numbers T18-1E & 13-01) have a 1st gear of 6.32, 2nd 3.09, 3rd 1.69, and a High gear of 1.0, Reverse is 7.44. There was one kind of Rare version called the T18B that has a little better gearing that might help 1st gear of 6.32, 2nd 4.32, 3rd 1.51, and a High gear of 1.0, Reverse is 7.44 these were used in the Diesel Trucks from 1967-1972. The T19 has all Sync rows and some better gear ratio too.

I’ve thought bout trying to find a t19 figure it will b a direct swap from the t18. But I’m back and forth on just putting a 5 speed in it. Would I need to swap the transfer case or drive lines from one that had the 5 or would I just drop my tranny bolt the five to motor and transfer case ect?

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yes the Ford T19 should be a direct swap in place of the T18. The 1983 to 1986 Ford T19's, used behind the 460 and diesel had the 4.02:1 first gear on 2wd and in the Diesel 4wd. There was a 5.11 1st gear version too. The 460 4wd truck got the 6.32:1 first gear, purportedly from 1983 to 1986 F250's. All T19's will have a synchronized first. Case Cast numbers of 13-09-065-911 or 13-09-065-905 are on the Ford T19's. Unlike the T18's the T19's have two PTO mountings. An individual may find the.

Not an expert on the M5OD-R2 4X4 setup my best guess is that its much longer than a T18 or T19 so the Transfer Case would end up being in a slightly different location so that the driveshafts won't be the right lengths nor will the and mount for the Transfer Case shouldn't be that hard to fit it though and do the drive shafts. But the other good thing is since it was the M5OD-R2 was a factory set up you should be able to do it with bolt in factory parts to from a wrecking yard if you want to swap everything. Good luck

hodaka100

Just throwing this out there... Have you checked your base timing/ tried advancing it a few degrees to see if it makes a difference?

Truckersigman

Yes the Ford T19 should be a direct swap in place of the T18. The 1983 to 1986 Ford T19's, used behind the 460 and diesel had the 4.02:1 first gear on 2wd and in the Diesel 4wd. There was a 5.11 1st gear version too. The 460 4wd truck got the 6.32:1 first gear, purportedly from 1983 to 1986 F250's. All T19's will have a synchronized first. Case Cast numbers of 13-09-065-911 or 13-09-065-905 are on the Ford T19's. Unlike the T18's the T19's have two PTO mountings. An individual may find the.

Not an expert on the M5OD-R2 4X4 setup my best guess is that its much longer than a T18 or T19 so the Transfer Case would end up being in a slightly different location so that the driveshafts won't be the right lengths nor will the and mount for the Transfer Case shouldn't be that hard to fit it though and do the drive shafts. But the other good thing is since it was the M5OD-R2 was a factory set up you should be able to do it with bolt in factory parts to from a wrecking yard if you want to swap everything. Good luck

Thanks and I know with the t18 in there now there is a spot where looks like the oe 4x4 was and now it’s been moved back so when I go 4low dang shifter touches the seat lol.. but idk definitely gonna look at my options and go from there I think

Truckersigman

Just throwing this out there... Have you checked your base timing/ tried advancing it a few degrees to see if it makes a difference?

Kinda new to the distributor setup honestly meen I had a 93 302 f150 couple years ago but nvr had any issues out it would still b driving her but that’s to a semi trailer wheel come flying off the ole ford was trashed. Could u explain how to check timing and how to advance the distributor?

hodaka100

My point is a little more power would help you hold a higher gear and ignition timing could possibly be that fix.

To check the timing you would need a timing light. To explain it briefly Unplug the pip connector in the distributor wiring. Start the truck and point the light at the timing marks on the front of the engine to see what degree mark lines up with the mark on the balancer. To adjust loosen the distributor hold down bolt and twist the distributor very slightly. Double check the timing after tightening the distributor. There should be a sticker under the hood specifying the timing spec. Probably 10 degrees btdc.

Truckersigman

My point is a little more power would help you hold a higher gear and ignition timing could possibly be that fix.

To check the timing you would need a timing light. To explain it briefly Unplug the pip connector in the distributor wiring. Start the truck and point the light at the timing marks on the front of the engine to see what degree mark lines up with the mark on the balancer. To adjust loosen the distributor hold down bolt and twist the distributor very slightly. Double check the timing after tightening the distributor. There should be a sticker under the hood specifying the timing spec. Probably 10 degrees btdc.

Hmm I’m gonna have to give that a try could possibly be outa time just a lil bit then

63 Sprint

Supporter 2021
Just saw this topic.
•3:55 gears are in your truck.
•31” tires
•Truck seems to be struggling going up moderate hills

My 1989 with 3.08 gears and 235/75/15 tires have no problems going up moderate hills. Even in fifth gear it goes up most of them fine.
In 1st gear it will creep up a very steep stone driveway and rear tires will slip and dig in some with having my foot off the gas. The idle is set to 800 rpm. I’ve hauled 3 yards of wood chips up pretty good hills and I only had to shift to forth a few times.

The problem could be a tuning issue. Or something else. I know the 1989 was a dog until I changed to the Holly Sniper. It took a while to get it to run right. But in no way the truck struggles up hills.
Possible vacuum leaks? Plugged catalyst? Fuel issue? Ignition timing?

I’m not much of an expert but it could be something else besides gearing.

Last edited:

63 Sprint

Supporter 2021
Been thinking, One day my 1993 F150, 4.9, 5 spd pickup that I used to own lost power and fuel mileage dropped. It turned out to be the brake booster. I’ve also had this happen to my 1989 about a year ago right after the Holley Sniper conversion. The diaphragms rupture and cause a massive vacuum leak.

63 Sprint

Supporter 2021
I just saw that the last reply posted before I started posting was July 17, 2022. Hope the issue was resolved.

85Pig

Plugged catalyst?
When I bought my 85, my son followed me home from out of state with it, through some pretty good grades. I noticed that even at less than the posted speed limit I was leaving him pretty bad. He told me that it would NOT climb a grade without struggling. Being it used oil, we figured it may be the cats. He cut them off with a sawzall when we got home, and that did it. Might be a good idea to have that checked out, and possibly replaced if one lives in an area where they are required. Good call.