All Small Six Adjusting valves on 1964 170 with solid lifters.

This relates to all small sixes
I have a 1964 Econoline van with a 170 six with solid lifters. I just got back my rebuilt cylinder head and was wondering about the simplest way of properly adjusting my valves. My rockers are adjustable and not the non adjustable nonsense. I would appreciate the best technique to do an initial cold static adjustment to get them close to run and then a hot adjustment for the final running adjustment. Also I was wondering about the lash spec for this set up. I am thinking maybe 0.018 cold and 0.016 hot. Is this good or are there other lash specs. Any and all information would be very greatly appreciated. Cheers.

You are correct the lash setting for both the intake and exhaust is .016 Hot and yes the cold setting of .018 usally works out ok. Best way to set them warm or cold is with each cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke.
The other stock tune up spec's are
1. Autolite BF 82 plugs set to .034 gap
2. Point Gap Base Setting is .025
3. The Point Dwell Angel is 37 to 42 Degrees. 39 Degrees usally is the best setting.
4. Base Timing Is Set To 6 Degrees For A Standard Trans or 12 Degrees For An Auto Trans.
5. Set The Carb Mixture to Lean Best Idle. Highest RPM then turn the mixture in another 1/4 turn.
6. Set the Carb Curb Idle to 500 to 550 RPM with a Standard Trans and 475 to 500 RPM with park brake set and trans in drive. Best of luck.

Hi, I would set the lash cold to the larger specs, double check everything, and if it is quiet and run nice and smooth leave it like that. Good luck

Back