advice for building hot 250 -2v

A

Anonymous

g,day as with my other post on crossflows i have built up a heap of new parts over the years and want to build a tough motor for one of my projects here is a list of what i have got , any help or tips is greatly appreciated
250 log motor from xa superbird with 2v head
scorcher single points dissy no auto advance
crow heavy duty valve springs 7820-12
crow dg2a dissy gear
ARP conrod bolts 154-6002
roller rockers ST 2014
crane C35 lifters (ht 900c ) same as crossflow
elgin pushrods ELPR 105EL ( holden 186 )
jp oil pump
jp timing gear set 5974
crow cam 63603
crow timing chain set cs6250
redlands brand cam pre xflow RO 74
ex opens- 65 closes -15
in opens-20 closes-60
lobe lift -ex .270" inlet -.270"
thanks again this is going in either my sons XB sedan auto , or my 39 inter 3 speed manual , any help tips or advice such as pistons rods , cam etc would be appreciated ,
cheers pete

hey
i hope the redlands cam is measured at 50" lift otherwise its a very small cam and even at 50" lift its still small.
it depends on what you want but the xflow will be easyer to get more power out of.
drift

hey
this whould work lots better and keep streetable to
IN.32/68
EX.72/28
duration 280 280
duration at 50"lift 214 214
.442".442"
1800 4800 Gives performance and driveability in street modified engines
that will allow you to keep standerd diff gears this ones from crow but anything simerlar to this will work fine.
drift

I get 0.405 lift on the other cam, with standard rockers. Don't use the HV oil pump unless running race clearances on the motor's bearings. Just kit the old pump or resurface the cover.

g,day , so addo would you use the redlands cam or would you use the crow 636032 , i forgot to add i have 2 standard duty JP OIL PUMPS , ( I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING BITS FOR YEARS ) CHEERS PETE

Dunno. That depends on the build and also aggressiveness of the other cam. It has a lower advertised duration (260°) but might lift sooner and faster than the Crow. Then again, it could be slower to lift!

Curiosity would make me try the obscure one. Your reasons for doing stuff could force a different decision.

Cheers, Adam.

thanks , for your help , regards the scorcher single points dissy with no auto advance , is there a better option , for the log type motor , cheers pete

I like the XE style unit for all applications. But to get one made up is now north of $275 when the shaft needs resizing. One fellow said you could get a shaft bushing that pressed into the block to sleeve it down from 530 to 490 thou (made for Clevelands but totally compatible).

The big advantage of the Scorcher is it's properly rebuilt. Any old XE unit is now 20 years past fresh and probably needs a tickle up. Pull the rotor and put some light oil or ATF onto the oiling felt every year at least, to maintain a dizzy.

Back