Am I too vintage for the Vintage Sixes forum?

Hello! I just joined and I'm looking for guys (gals) building flathead Ford sixes. I have a 226 and a 254. Am I in the right place? Thanks in advance!

You are in the right place. I joined a year ago and have gotten good advice (especially ) from BUBBA who recently passed. My 48 Flat six sat for forty years in the woods, and still turned over by hand. Compression was lower on 1 cylinder. Pulled the head for inspection. No rust in the cylinders. Had been rebuilt at some time. .030 pistons. Purchased new exhaust valves. The margins were to thin. Ground the intakes and seats. Runs good and no smoke. Engine parts can be a little hard to find. Hang in there.

Good luck, Joe

Hello! I just joined and I'm looking for guys (gals) building flathead Ford sixes. I have a 226 and a 254. Am I in the right place? Thanks in advance!
Welcome jandyford! As 48 F3 Joe said, there's no doubt bubba22349 would have welcomed you by now. A gentle man, with a lifetime of old Ford knowledge. Just went home to the Lord a week ago. A significant loss for all.
But there's plenty of depth here, so welcome aboard. I own two flathead-6 vehicles (not Ford). I think they are the best sounding 6 out there.

Thank you F3 Joe, and Frank, for the warm welcome! I am sad to hear of Bubba's passing, as I've read thru several of his posts recently.

I have a motley assortment of parts I've gathered with the goal to build a car for TROG. My question of the moment has to do with transmissions. Side-note: I have some knowledge of Model A's and intent to use a Model A frame and rear (torque tube) and therefore a need for a pre-48 trans. Say a guy has a 226 H and a 39-48 side-shift trans (for a 239) ; What's need to join them together?
Thanks in advance!

Back