Another T-5 Conversion Question...

Gruuvy6

Hey guys, thank you for such a wealth of information on here. I've nearly completed a conversion to a T-5 largely due to your posts in this forum. I am struggling through some expensive particulars involving pedals. From images I've seen, the main vertical strut looks similarly shaped on the automatic AND manual brake pedals, so can I just cut the left side off the pedal in order to slide the clutch in beside it? I'm not doing anything different to the brakes themselves just yet, they will remain manual drum for now. I am using the equalizer bar, and I have all of its parts for the engine bay. I still need the big clutch pedal spring, isolators, bracket, and bumper pad... and man, all of these parts are pretty rare and pricey. I am hoping to figure what I really do need so that I can either place an order for components or else bite the bullet and grab a complete assembly. So what do you think... can I get by with cutting the auto pedal to narrow it, or am I missing something? Thanks, looking forward to the road really soon!

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
I don't think you will get a very satisfactory result cutting the Auto Trans brake pedal shorter to work with a clutch pedal. The manual Trans clutch and brake pedals are also bent differently so they can both fit togeather nicely in the space that's available there. The hangar bracket for the pedal assembly under the dash though is the same for both an Auto or a Manual Trans, so you can easily swap out the different pedal types. There is a chance that someone might need your brake pedal and might trade you if you want to try that put an add in the wanted section of the For Sale section at the bottom of all the forums. There are also some new clutch & brake pedals being made at a reasonable price to fit the early Mustangs. Best of luck

ldm314

Depending on the clutch you may not need the big helper spring. I am going to be removing it in my Torino GT because the replacement pressure plate I have gives a lighter pedal pressure than stock. It makes the clutch stick in sometimes.

Gruuvy6

Thank you both. I asked this question on Facebook as well, was given a few places to look for a manual pedal... all sold out at the moment. Those are places that sell OEM pedals, I hope to go that route over a replacement, especially since the old OEM pedals tend to be cheaper if you can find them. I'm definitely planning to leave the helper spring out and will go ahead and install just the clutch for a check to see how this works with my clutch and the equalizer bar. Then I'll order parts. Maybe stock will come back up by then on a pedal. It'll get done, but man being so close to finished, I'd really like to get to driving it soon.
Thanks again.

ldm314

Instead of trying to find pricey original parts, maybe a hydraulic conversion would be better. Not sure what vehicle you have but modern driveline I would suggest for any conversion and related parts: https://www.moderndriveline.com/sho...0-mustang-cougar-hydraulic-clutch-master-kit/

I met Bruce who founded MDL when he was running things from his garage in San Jose. He helped me swap my 4 speed to a T-5 in my GT with a 351C. Nearly 20 years later it is still going strong without issue despite the occasional abuse.

Gruuvy6

Oh hey, that's a good idea! I was given quite a bit of the linkage and figured it wouldn't be that much more to finish the set, but wow a hydraulic clutch isn't that bad either! If I'm faced with ordering more parts, I'll definitely give this more consideration. Thank you!

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
So what parts are you needing to compleate your swap and it would also be helpful to know what car model your working on? If you have most of the parts it will likely be cheaper to continue in that direction but there is also a Cable Clutch Conversion that can be done to the stock clutch pedals too.