All Small Six Any experience with this hi flow Scott Drake Exhaust manifold?

This relates to all small sixes
I think it's a positive idea. The price is good and you avoid the various issues that occur with headers. And it's durable iron, and holds the heat, a plus over headers. . and no major redesign to the rest of the system.
I "upgraded" a big 6 from the stock log to the HD dumptruck log. Did it help? I can't prove it, but a 56% bigger outlet (2 1/2" vs 2") sure can't hurt. Truck runs strong with a mild cam upgrade and 2V intake. I wanted to keep the stock single outlet sound. No regrets.

I think the "improved flow" they claim is mostly just compared to the old 1-3/4" outlet manifolds. A '68 or later manifold with the 2" outlet is pretty much the same thing as this. Read the last paragraph of the description. Probably more hype than high performance...

I think the "improved flow" they claim is mostly just compared to the old 1-3/4" outlet manifolds. A '68 or later manifold with the 2" outlet is pretty much the same thing as this. Read the last paragraph of the description. Probably more hype than high performance...
Still, just the outlet size is a +. 2" is 31% more area than 1.75". . As for flow- it's still a log, no scavenging. (As pmuller reminded me when I chose the HD over the EFI.)

Thank you all for this information. The 250 went in my Bronco about 15 years ago and I don't recall details about the exhaust manifold but it is the same one that was attached to the original 170 so probably 1.75". The 2" exhaust system is all original right down to the Maremont muffler and I actually like the way it sounds. Authoritative but not menacing in a way that might offend normal citizens. I have a new set of long tube 6602 Hooker headers for it but not sure how much improvement it would be for my stock 250. And I like that ebay manifold as it is cheaper, good find TrickSix.
I have always been an easy target for advertising hype.

What's the part number on your current exhaust manifold? C8 and higher should be the 2" variety. If you can find a cheap used one that's not too rusty great. If not new will do. I'm not sure who makes them. But I bought one of those eBay Brand X two inch outlet manifolds with the big X on the side about five years ago. It was only $85 back then... It fit fine, though I did a little gasket matching and had a shop throw it on their big belt sander to make sure the sealing surface was true while they cleaned up my head manifold mating surface, just on general principals. No problems since then other than an outlet flange nut that worked loose and had to be retightened, and that's not the manifold's fault.

Thank you all for this information. The 250 went in my Bronco about 15 years ago and I don't recall details about the exhaust manifold but it is the same one that was attached to the original 170 so probably 1.75". The 2" exhaust system is all original right down to the Maremont muffler and I actually like the way it sounds. Authoritative but not menacing in a way that might offend normal citizens. I have a new set of long tube 6602 Hooker headers for it but not sure how much improvement it would be for my stock 250. And I like that ebay manifold as it is cheaper, good find TrickSix.
I have always been an easy target for advertising hype.
FWIW, I bought a stock replacement log exhaust mani for the 300 from ebay. Cheap, from China but matched up and worked fine several years. Still good when I pulled this engine in January. The heat riser was goofy out of the box. Don't remember what, something was binding. But an easy fix, otherwise a good piece.
If your small6 has a heat riser valve check it to be sure it's functioning right before install.

What's the part number on your current exhaust manifold? C8 and higher should be the 2" variety. If you can find a cheap used one that's not too rusty great. If not new will do. I'm not sure who makes them. But I bought one of those eBay Brand X two inch outlet manifolds with the big X on the side about five years ago. It was only $85 back then... It fit fine, though I did a little gasket matching and had a shop throw it on their big belt sander to make sure the sealing surface was true while they cleaned up my head manifold mating surface, just on general principals. No problems since then other than an outlet flange nut that worked loose and had to be retightened, and that's not the manifold's fault.
Thanks I will check that casting number.
FWIW, I bought a stock replacement log exhaust mani for the 300 from ebay. Cheap, from China but matched up and worked fine several years. Still good when I pulled this engine in January. The heat riser was goofy out of the box. Don't remember what, something was binding. But an easy fix, otherwise a good piece.
If your small6 has a heat riser valve check it to be sure it's functioning right before install.
Good advice thanks. I would not have thought about that.

I have one of those that I had JetHot coated. Paid $139 at the time plus shipping, plus $300 for JetHot. Still have it & never used it yet.

102_0012.JPG

102_0013.JPG

102_0014.JPG

102_0015.JPG

102_0016.JPG

Good for clearance if you have AC & can't modify compressor mount brackets for use with headers.

Ralph

Last edited:
Aussiespeed has a two outlet manifold that would be far better than this. Thats basically a stocker, wouldnt help much.

I had one of those a few years ago. The two outlets seemed quite small to me. IIRC they were just a little over 1.5" diameter each. It was pretty expensive also, not including shipping. Oh, I guess they were 1.75", according to another post.

I had one of those a few years ago. The two outlets seemed quite small to me. IIRC they were just a little over 1.5" diameter each. It was pretty expensive also, not including shipping. Oh, I guess they were 1.75", according to another post.
Remember that each outlet is only serving 3 pots, and in the case of a 200ci, thats 1.5litres per outlet, 45mm is plenty for that.

“...Aussiespeed... a two outlet manifold ..."
Mike put that on the flow bench I believe (see charts on tech archive) yrs ago’n saw no real improvement I believe.
The Sephens in post #3 (ona 4.9L) out performed the standard and the ‘split’ efi bya good bit. It’s on "Class 7" big trucks
(Ford LN or the ol F750) over 25K lbs w/a 300 or 4.9 motor.

Was thinking about buying the Scott Drake manifold but it's two expensive. The cheaper one on ebay has had the price raised to match.
I'm pretty sure I cooked my transmission dipstick o-ring running an open header.

I almost never buy anything on eBay without making an offer first. Doesn't hurt to ask, and often pays off. Kepp your eyes open for a good used one too. Put a wanted ad up here.

The used ones are cheaper but most sellers want 50 dollars to ship it, which puts it 20 dollars away from a new one.

What type of connection is it for the oem manifold? I'm familiar with ball and socket exhaust but it's clear that these aren't the same.

The exhaust manifold has a beveled recess around the outlet. The exhaust down pipe has a small flare on the end, with a collar behind it. There's a hard donut shaped gasket that goes in between them, and the collar is drawn up to hold them tightly together by the two studs on the manifold outlet. This is not meant to be a flex joint. There is a small sort of hook shaped bracket bolted to the side of the block just below the exhaust outlet used to fasten the downpipe there via a standard U-bolt pipe clamp for a strain relief. The whole exhaust system is hung by flexible straps to allow a little movement when the engine rocks under load.

Back