Wanted Carb + Carb spacer for 68 LARGE log 200

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
You sure you have a 1968? There were no large log heads made until 1969.

Flushed42

This is what I got:
Head casting no. on manifold is C9DE-6090-M
Block casting no. on block is C8DE-6015-B

pulled from a 1968 car that was bone stock from a reputable mustang shop who swapped for a v8.

That head, according to a ton of research and measurement is a large log and boy do I wish it wasn’t.

I’m going to fabricate a spacer out a 1” slab of aluminum to work with my existing carb to get me running again until I can find the correct spacer and carb. It’s kind of a bummer.

I have a lead on an autolite 1101A that I’m told has a larger bore. I was thinking a Carter YF and spacer from a Maverick was the answer but it hasn’t been recommended.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
So yes indeed a C9DE-6090--M design number is atleast a 1969 head and yes it's also one of the large log heads. But it wouldn't of come stock in a 1968 car. The C8DE-6015-B might be a 1968 engine block or it could also be a 1969 you need to find the block and head date codes to know for certain the true year or if the head was swapped out at some time. Best of luck hunting the parts.

Flushed42

So yes indeed a C9DE-6090--M design number is atleast a 1969 head and yes it's also one of the large log heads. But it wouldn't of come stock in a 1968 car. The C8DE-6015-B might be a 1968 engine block or it could also be a 1969 you need to find the block and head date codes to know for certain the true year or if the head was swapped out at some time. Best of luck hunting the parts.
Thanks, I’m a bit frustrated, the more I research the further I go down the rabbit hole. I’m not looking to spend a bunch of money on upgrades, I just want to get her running again.

What carb do you recommend with my existing load-o-matic distributor and auto choke.

Seems like an Autolite1101A or a Carter YF with a spacer that bypasses the heater pass through.
Finding the correct spacer has also been real tough.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
if you are going to be using a Load O Matic Distributor LOD (they were used from 1960 to 1967 except in Calif. emissions cars than last year was 1965). For a LOD to work correctly then you need a carb with a SCV Spark Control Valve in order fr the distribtor to work correctly. The carb's that had a SCV were the 1904 & 1908 Holleys, the 1100 Autolites, and some early 1101 Autolites these carb's need to be 1967 or older in most states except again the Calif emission engines that would need to be a 1965 or older. There is also a new carb (Champion) that's modeled after the Holley 1908 that will work with a LOD distrbitor here is the link to the carb info. https://championcarburetor.com/1961...wbrdesigned-for-modern-fuelbfont-p-10770.html

The later model carb's such as the Carter YF, YFA, and Carter RBI are not compatable with the older LOD Distribtors. Do you happen to have pictures of the parts you want to use? If so I can ID them and tell you if they will work togeather or help you find the right parts combo that works togeather. Is there a particular reason you want to use the older LOD Distribitor? The 1969 C9DE also note these newer heads have a larger chombustion chamber of 62 CC this is lowering your compression ratio quite a bit reducing the engines power. I see that you also have a 1965 engine setting there behind the 68 long block, you could use that 65 head which has a 52 CC combustion chamber on that 68 block to get you back to the stock compression ratio of 8.7 to 1 as well as it having the smaller log carb mounting hole that will help you be able to use all the stock parts such as the SCV carb and its spacer to match up with the LOD Distribitor plus with that 1965 valve cover and the rest of the engine painted in factory engine colors give your engine a more stock apearance in your 1965 Mustang if that's the direction your heading. Best of luck in the parts hunt. Edited

Georgia200

A C9 head could be a large or small carb opening. Early heads were the 1.45 carb opening.

I had a C9 that was the small opening. Until that time I had always thought that all C9 heads had the 1.75 carb opening.

Flushed42

if you are going to be using a Load O Matic Distributor LOD (they were used from 1960 to 1967 except in Calif. emissions cars than last year was 1965). For a LOD to work correctly then you need a carb with a SCV Spark Control Valve in order fr the distribtor to work correctly. The carb's that had a SCV were the 1904 & 1908 Holleys, the 1100 Autolites, and some early 1101 Autolites these carb's need to be 1967 or older in most states except again the Calif emission engines that would need to be a 1965 or older. There is also a new carb (Champion) that's modeled after the Holley 1908 that will work with a LOD distrbitor here is the link to the carb info. https://championcarburetor.com/1961...wbrdesigned-for-modern-fuelbfont-p-10770.html

The later model carb's such as the Carter YF, YFA, and Carter RBI are not compatable with the older LOD Distribtors. Do you happen to have pictures of the parts you want to use? If so I can ID them and tell you if they will work togeather or help you find the right parts combo that works togeather. Is there a particular reason you want to use the older LOD Distribitor? The 1969 C9DE also note these newer heads have a larger chombustion chamber of 62 CC this is lowering your compression ratio quite a bit reducing the engines power. I see that you also have a 1965 engine setting there behind the 68 long block, you could use that 65 head which has a 52 CC combustion chamber on that 68 block to get you back to the stock compression ratio of 8.7 to 1 as well as it having the smaller log carb mounting hole that will help you be able to use all the stock parts such as the SCV carb and its spacer to match up with the LOD Distribitor plus with that 1965 valve cover and the rest of the engine painted in factory engine colors give your engine a more stock apearance in your 1965 Mustang if that's the direction your heading. Best of luck in the parts hunt. Edited
Hey thanks, I was trying to use my existing LOD distributor to avoid the extra work and cost. For the time being, I think I will try fabricating a small log to large log spacer just to get me running again while I source out a better distributor/carb combo.

I have read those articles on SCV and advice about Duraspark or DUI distributors if you want to run with a different carb. From your experience, tell me what optimal distributor and carb combo would you recommend with my current head? (I looked at the champion carb and it's a manual choke set up - not the end of the world but I'd prefer auto)

I'm liking this one though https://championcarburetor.com/6369...wbrdesigned-for-modern-fuelbfont-p-10773.html

Not sure about its compatability with the LOD distributor though.

Last edited:

Flushed42

Hey thanks, I was trying to use my existing LOD distributor to avoid the extra work and cost. For the time being, I think I will try fabricating a small log to large log spacer just to get me running again while I source out a better distributor/carb combo.

I have read those articles on SCV and advice about Duraspark or DUI distributors if you want to run with a different carb. From your experience, tell me what optimal distributor and carb combo would you recommend with my current head? (I looked at the champion carb and it's a manual choke set up - not the end of the world but I'd prefer auto)

I'm liking this one though https://championcarburetor.com/6369...wbrdesigned-for-modern-fuelbfont-p-10773.html

Not sure about its compatability with the LOD distributor though.
Any chance this would be a better option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265059113497

Im not sure why it referances Auto trans. I’ve got a manual.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Ok I think I understand some of your goals and that you were just trying to use the LOD because that's what you have. Since you have a large log head now and they also have lots of advantages over the early heads allowing easy fitting of the bigger carb's. The LOD Distribitor isn't a very good choice to use just because you already have it, I only recommend them for totally stock engines in cars that people want to keep 100% factory original. The one way you can use these LOD for a performance build is to lock them out and then use a $100.00 black box that you then program to control the ignition timing. Since you don't have the SCV carb to go with it and need to get one I think you are better off going with the newer carb's and Distribitor parts you will get much better drive ability, performance and very good economy that way. Personally my minimum Distribitor to use is a 1968 to 1974 dual advance point type unit, later on they can also be upgraded with a Pertronix Ignitor. I really like the DuraSpark II Distribitors for a street or performance car (they were designed to work in these engines) and they have been my number 1 choice & I have been using them for many decades. I don't care for the DUI or HEI clones and there are some problems in using them (oiling problems, the wrong advance curve, those two can be fixed but also because of their taller height you can't use them with the stock Ford power steering pumps) however many people still seem to like them. In any case the engine is going to perform much better with the one of the later style Distribitors.

I don't know if that above carb is compatable with the LOD or not but the listing says it works with back to 1963 so maybe. With your 1968 block your choices are wide open the DuraSpark II and the HEI Distribitors can drop right in. And with the big carb opening their are many carb choices too from the early 1V if you convert them
to ported use, the 1968 & 1969 Autolite 1100 and the 1969 Autolite 1101 off of the 1969 250 engine, Carter YF's & YFA's off the 200's and 250's or the 300 big six, even a 2V Autolite 2100 / Motocraft 2150 using a direct mount or using a simple 1V to 2V carb adapter. With the 2V adapter I recommend opening up the logs mounting hole to 2 to 2 1/8 inches and matching the adapter to that larger size. Hope this helps you. Best of luck

Flushed42

Wow, thank you, you've been a big help. Lowered my stress levels. Hopefully some final questions/clarifications:
1. Get a 1968 - 1974 dual advance point type distributor, can I pull this distributor off an old car like the Ford Granada 200 cu in I keep seeing pop up, OR,
2. contact Bill Ambler and buy a set DuraSpark II or HEI distributor

Once I do one of the above, I'm good to go on any one of the Carbs or other setups you listed above? I've read a bit about a Weber 38 Carb Kit that seems to be highly recommended as well.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Yes on 1968 to 74 if you want old time points you can pull it out of a 200 / 250 six. On the Granada's though no points distribs were used in them, they are going to be a DuraSpark II system. Yes you can get the the DuraSpark II or an HEI set up from Bill Amber he has his adds right below this Wanted section in the Small Six For Sale sections.

Yes all the above carb's and also the Weber 38 carb kit will work with both those newer distributors

Georgia200

A well tuned points distributor is just as effective as a DSII setup.

The advantage of the DSII is that you install it and forget about it vs adjusting points once a year.

mustang6

1K+
VIP
BTW, that carb you showed has a SCV valve and theoretically would work with the LOM distributor. if the carb is truly a 1101 it must have come off an early 240 (I have a couple of these). That said, I would still put in a DSII distributor and a later carb w/o SCV.