All Small Six Cork gasket improvement?

This relates to all small sixes

DON

In the process of putting together my 200 project, I looked for rubber gaskets. Didn’t come up with much availability, soooo, I came up with the idea of, call it pre-sealing the cork. For lack of calling it anything else. Take my rtv and dissolve it and apply it to the cork. On a spare gasket I used several different solvents and did test spots. Let them dry thoroughly and then I cut the cork to see the penetration. What I found out was a combination of mineral spirits ( which will dry out) and brake clean worked the best. I mixed it so it is a little thinner than sour cream but not watery. Applied two or three coats, letting it dry in between. I haven’t installed them yet but they look nice. Any thoughts or has anyone done this?

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpeg
    IMG_3444.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3445.jpeg
    IMG_3445.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3446.jpeg
    IMG_3446.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
adding to this , most RTV's like typical Blue are not spec'd as resistant to most automotive oils . Afaik only 'Ultra Black' from Permatex and a few others specify 'oil resistant' and no RTV is modern fuel proof...
(just changed Nissan truck oil pan - oil pan to block flange gasket is below oil level in filled crankcase so Oil-Resistant RTV is instructed specifically. )

Cork gaskets can be treated , the Holley front bowl carbs used a cork/rubber for efficient seal but modern fuel eats the rubber. Also can attempt gasket 'treatment' with 'Copper Spray' .
only oil resistant RTV, Copper Gasket Spray, and 'High-Tack'on my shelf. Copper spray is only spec'd as Fuel resistant.

hav e fun

I have found the Permatex gasket sealer, fuel resistant to work well on my tri-power setup with Holley 2300’s. I put some on both sides of the blue Holley gaskets and accelerator pump. A definite improvement 👍. I have even reused the gaskets successfully 👍

Attachments

• IMG_3448.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back