Divorced transfer cases

A

Anonymous

What models/years of Ford trucks have divorced 4x4 transfer cases?

Also, when did ford standardize their frames so the 4x2 and 4x4 are the same, just a matter of swapping the front end? I know i saw an article about this but can't find it.

I'm wondering because i have an '85 F-150 and have a line on a wrecked 4x4 '84 (or is it an '86, i know it's 1 year off) where the running gear is solid, but it was T-boned so the frame is bent rather severely, but it wasn't bad enough to bend the driveshaft or mess up either axle. I don't know if it has a divorced transfer case, but I have a 4x2 NP-435 which has to use a divorced case to run 4x4. The other truck is an auto, so like hell i'm putting that in MY truck. If nothing else i can get the matching diffs, 4x4 steering gear/front end parts and go looking for a transfer case.

Just some ideas kicking around. . .

Justin

A

Anonymous

Divorced cases can be found in pre 1978 f-series 4x4's (I don't know if there were any divorced truck after the intro of the married case design, but were talking about ford here)
AFAIK the frames are the same from 1980 to 1996 for both 4x4 and 4x2 (with some model year design cahnges of course)
The divorced cased 4x's used a short yoke style output, from what I've been told you should have a long style 2wd output yoke (for pics see here http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4017 ) you will need to find a short output tranny. but for that you may as well grab the complete 4x4 tranny and married case setup common to 1980-96 4x4 truck as it will bolt right up to the frame if you grab the crossmember as well. Stick with 80-86 (same design years as your current swap) and it's a guarantee no prob swap
Talk to Evan (82F100SWB) he's done it back and forth a few times with various drivline setups.

A

Anonymous

Only thing is that no matter what the 435 is staying in the truck. that's why i was looking to do a divorced case to save my tranny.

Justin

82F100SWB

Famous Member
VIP
You're pretty much SOL, you gotta get yourself a '435 for a Married t-case application, the bolt pattern for the tailhousng/adaptor is diferent on a 2wd and 4wd case, so, you can't just bolt on the adaptor and swap the output shaft either, and, nobody makes an adaptor to hook a 435 to a t-case that came behind it from the factory at some point.
Since you have a 2wd half ton, you have a slip yoke output, and, that makes a divorced t-case entirely impractical, simply because of the added drivetrain legnth, and how far you'd have to drop it in the frame to get the front driveshaft to clear the transmisison crossmember(it'd have to go underneath, or be set up 2-piece with a carrier bearing, big $$$$ either way.)
Your easiest and cheapest way out is to yank everything, sell the auto(if it's a 4x4 small block C6, they're pretty desireable) and get a 435 from a post 78 F-Series(If it's a 79 or 79, it has to have been hooked to a 205, the fulltime 203 used a different bolt pattern.)
Evan

A

Anonymous

82F100SWB":rb7b5seu said:
... (If it's a 79 or 79, it has to have been hooked to a 205, the fulltime 203 used a different bolt pattern.)
Evan

My turn to teach, Evan :p ... the NP203 and NP205 Married cases use the same bolt pattrern, in fact I have a Ford NP203 hanging off my stock '81 NP208 adapter (which also consequently has the notch for an NP205 and a casting date of 1979) That's the reason I stuck with Ford for my dual setup ... if the 208's don't live (I have three spares) I can simply drop a 205 on the end, or a 203, 1345, 1356, and the list keeps growing ;)
Or, have you run into another Ford oddity?

82F100SWB

Famous Member
VIP
They must have changed the bolt pattern on the 203 when they married the 205, the only Ford one I've dealt with was a 76, and, it was an oddball... I wanted to use it(yes, I actually wanted fulltime 4x4), but, couldn't find anything it'd bolt to, then I shoved it into the back corner of the shop, forgot it wouldn't bolt to anything, and cursed it to no end when I tried to put it in the F250(I blew up the 1345... Oops)... LOL
Evan

A

Anonymous

it could have the early Bronco pattern they used for the Dana20 case ... Iknow they had married cases in the fullsizes earlier but they were the single speed Dana 24's .... perhaps you have a classic Ford oddity (or a Dodge/Chevy box?)

A

Anonymous

rockfrog":1303nhbr said:
Divorced cases can be found in pre 1978 f-series 4x4's .

actullay 77.5 is when they went to divorced to married t-case tthe truck were dubbed as "higboys" I got two of them one fulltime one partime and I have two 79 4x4 one fulltime one partime and I like the highboys better exept for the power assit steering...

A

Anonymous

yes the ttb front end will fit your 85. i have done this swap on my 86 using an 82 fullsize bronco front end. however since you will have to use a pre 78 married np435, you might as well use the straight axle from a pre 78 as well. ;)

A

Anonymous

ford started putting in divorced t-cases in 1975 and earlier. my 75' is divorced with a 203 t-case.

There are divorced 205's available in Dodge, International, and wrong-sided out of Fords. Same indestructible case, just divorced.

It's a great, cheap way to run OD and keep your case. Well, depending on how much of the work you can do yourself... you need a short jackshaft, some driveshaft mods... shift linkage for the case, and a cross member for it as well. Nothing real expensive, and still cheaper than an adapter in most cases.

Last edited: