DIY Fuel Injection - Megasquirt

Nitroracer

I was bored while on the computer early this morning and stumbled across some sites relating to megasquirt, a DIY fuel injection setup. It got me thinking about fuel injecting the 200 cube six in the zephyr I have. Its a pretty basic setup and only needs a few sensors to run: coolant temp, air temp, throttle position sensor, and an oxygen sensor. I would also need to add a fuel pump to bump the pressure up.

I was thinking about using a 2bbl adapter and a ford CFI/gm TBI from the early to mid eighties. That was I can avoid ripping off the head and drilling for injector bungs for each cylinder.

Anybody think of doing something like this to their six before?

actually yes i have, there was an article in car craft a while back, they put one on what else but a small block chevy, but it actually did pretty well, plus its completely tuneable, so it would be better than good for someone running an altitude corrector.

I know that holey and Redline Weber both have throttle body injection kits that are pretty easy to install and set up. I called Weber a while back and they told me they would be more than happy to set up a kit specifically for my 200 inline six. It's supposed to be a stand alone system so it would not tie in to the ignition system. I would imagine it would be hard to find replacement parts for the Weber though. I couldn't get much of anything out of the folks at Holey as far as would this system work on my motor.

Good luck.

Ted

Redline sells throughout the USA at speed shops and parts stores. Forget having stuff same day, but it could be done. Sounds like a good plan.

A couple years ago I took some time and looked into this. Me and my techie buddy found a place online that would make us that motherboards for 35$ with a minimum order of 2. The electrical components would have been available from a local hobby shop for 65$. So it would have cost right around 100$ for everything (without paying myself for time). The only problem was that I moved shortly after, he no longer works in the hardware lab with access to the cool soldering irons and other tools. It looks like it should be pretty straight forward. Inliner had one of these but I think he sold it to another forum member.. John if I am wrong shoot me a PM, I might be interested.

-ron

8) my thought is to use three tempo throttle bodies, much like using three one barrel carbs in the offy settup, and use the megasquirt to control those injectors. that way you have a system that is nearly as good as a port injection system, without the hassle.

I know dozens who have used the megasquirt injection setup on a variety of motor, from NA to forced induction with good success. So I say go for it.

A fellow I work with had a mega squirt unit on a turbo'd Mopar slant 6.

It ran well I am told. Never saw the car

I am running it on my Ford 300 in my 74 Ford F250. Works very well...working on a turbo now..

It's not a bolt on deal though, you have to be prepared to spend some time building it, learing how fuel injection works, and then tuning it. If you want something you can slap on and go I would have to say that it's not for you.

its realyl not too bad....some reading, an EFI intake and exaust, some wires and connectors, a fuel pump, and thats about it....i used some fuel lines from a 5.0L F150 taht were flexable al lthe wya down to the pump and a throttle cable that dapted perfectyly to my truck...

i think i invested close to 1300 dollars for everthing... new fuel pump, o2 sensor, used EFI intake with TB, TPS and injectors, rail and connectors, new air and coolant temp sensors, dual exaust, Megasquirt computer, relay board and stimulator, Misc. connectors, used throttle cable and bracket, 37 wire datalink strap, 9 pin serial port cable. This is about all i can think of now...lots of this stuff can be purchased used. making cost even cheaper.....1300 dollars might even be high for this price...I had to buy a 600 dolalr laptop to program it, but it was a good investment anyway.

Emerald,
Are you saying that you bought a pre-built MegaSquirt unit? Where from? How much? Can I get one?

-ron

eBay. You can buy completed ones, some even with cables. Waayyyy too much though, IMO. Easy enough to build (for me anyway).

I even wrote a PDA tuning app for the Palm OS a while back for the MegaSquirt. I still have it around somewhere.

I bought it straight from Bowling and Grippo on their second group buy back in 2002. I built the entire ECM and relay board.

There is now a Megasquirt II that will do DIS or electronic ignition control. I just got that and planning to run EDIS on my engine now.

They still have the old 2.2 version without the MS II as well as with the MS II. They are now working on an MS III which will incorporate all of it including CAN capabilities and a soon to come wideband O2.

http://www.msefi.com

search around this forum and find all the facts for all of the different projects.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

this is their main site...search through the diffent categories on the left and click on the very bottom link on the left scrolling column for purchasing etc.

Back