Does ANYONE make BENCH SEATS?!

Frank

Supporter 2021
Is there any source for replacement NEW original style bench seats for the old trucks? I can't find anything but import bucket replacements- boo.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
There is one company "Guild Engineering" that I know makes some really nice bench seats for early model cars, and others for the later cars too. Might be worth a look to see if there's one that fits and you like. Best of luck. https://www.glideengineering.com

Frank

Supporter 2021
There is one company "Guild Engineering" that I know makes some really nice bench seats for early model cars, and others for the later cars too. Might be worth a look to see if there's one that fits and you like. Best of luck. https://www.glideengineering.com
Thank you bubba. . . I scanned their site, looks like trustworthy quality, and USA made. One thing's for sure, auto seats are pricy, regardless. And every old vehicle has a torn and or saggy seat. I saved their site for later. The engine build has the budget maxed for now. Will have to enjoy the new engine from my board-under-seat-cushion perch a bit longer. :)
Bucket seats have taken over it seems. I'm not a fan. The bench in the truck has the fold down cloth armrest- it's just dandy. "If it ain't broke don't change it."

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
Your welcome Frank yeah those can be a bit high in price. I really liked the stock seat in my 1994 F150 XLT it was very comfortable even on a long drive had the side bolsters that you could change with switch. Is yours needing work? I have also rebuilt and improved quite a few of the stock seats. Best of luck

Frank

Supporter 2021
Oh yeah, it's shot. PO was heavy. The fine wire supports are broken, the foam is almost touching the floor. I have a decent set up though. Have a board (a large kitchen cutting board in it's previous life), covered by a boat-seat cushion, then a thin foam seat cushion. Comfortable enough, and keeps me higher in the vehicle. I do not like sitting low, or slouching back while driving- all those years in the simi. Sit up straight and pay attention- it's not the living room.

bubba22349

Top Poster
Staff member
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
REDLINE 10K
I feel for you Frank nothing worse than dealing with driving on poor seating very stressful and hard on the old body. After disassembling the seat cover I used to use the passenger side seat springs and parts out of a good wrecking yard seat (that side is rarely used in many cars or trucks) so those parts can repair the Brocken down from excessive weight and use on the drivers side. Sometimes the seat frame also might need some welding to repair it or reenforcement it but in the end the frame is back to like new condistion for very little money then it's ready for some new foam and a recover. Some places also sell new seat springs and the seat foam as well as the new upholstery too. When I worked on the Ford assembly line I sometimes put the seat covers on the Thunderbird seats. Best of luck

Frank

Supporter 2021
"90 f150 XLT Lariat. Factory low-back bench with raiseable arm rest. wouldn't mind high back for rear-end collision safety, but the full width and middle armrest are a must.

BigBlue94

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
"90 f150 XLT Lariat. Factory low-back bench with raiseable arm rest. wouldn't mind high back for rear-end collision safety, but the full width and middle armrest are a must.
Regular cab?

80-96/97 regular cab and crew cab share the same seat patterns. The base is one piece, the full width of the cab, even for the 40/20/40 bucket bench.

Supercab and bronco use individual bases to allow easier entry to the back seat.

My 96 F350 got saddled with the worst seat possible: solid bench with molded on headrests and no arm rest/cup holders. Id love to find a 40/20/40 bucket bench to swap in, but the JYs never have nice seats.

Frank

Supporter 2021
Yes, regular cab. Thanks for that data about the years/ patterns! Pretty big pool to choose from.

84F150dude

I feel for you Frank nothing worse than dealing with driving on poor seating very stressful and hard on the old body. After disassembling the seat cover I used to use the passenger side seat springs and parts out of a good wrecking yard seat (that side is rarely used in many cars or trucks) so those parts can repair the Brocken down from excessive weight and use on the drivers side. Sometimes the seat frame also might need some welding to repair it or reenforcement it but in the end the frame is back to like new condistion for very little money then it's ready for some new foam and a recover. Some places also sell new seat springs and the seat foam as well as the new upholstery too. When I worked on the Ford assembly line I sometimes put the seat covers on the Thunderbird seats. Best of luck

My friend is looking at a '90 F150 XLT with a driver seat in bad shape. It got body rust but looks good overall with a new set of toyo tires and brake pads. Hope the seat can be repaired or try his luck at the local parts yard.